Your opinions on these horses - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: vandalia il
Posts: 268
• Horses: 3
The only thing wrong with number 2 is he's sold.
Posted via Mobile Device
greenbryerfarms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Just because it's a draft cross doesn't mean it's automatically a "warmblood", sound, and definitely does not make it a dressage horse. I would pick a well built QH over that third guy. Unless you are larger and require a horse with that build I would keep on looking. He will most likely be an uncomfortable choppy ride and with that build and the weight on those legs I doubt he will stay sound even with only lower level dressage work. A nice QH will be far sounder and more versatile. But for your price range, you might have to settle.

Good luck!
Nobody said any of that. In fact, I picked him as my favorite before I even bothered to read that he was a draft cross. I'm not quite sure if you're saying this because of judgement of the horse himself or just because he's a draft cross, honestly... Is there really something wrong with his legs? They look fine to me, minus being over at the knee in the fronts, although I'm not an expert.
soenjer55 is offline  
post #23 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: I don't know
Posts: 1,158
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
Just because it's a draft cross doesn't mean it's automatically a "warmblood", sound, and definitely does not make it a dressage horse. I would pick a well built QH over that third guy. Unless you are larger and require a horse with that build I would keep on looking. He will most likely be an uncomfortable choppy ride and with that build and the weight on those legs I doubt he will stay sound even with only lower level dressage work. A nice QH will be far sounder and more versatile. But for your price range, you might have to settle.

Good luck!
Anebel, I really respect your opinion but my budget it's quite a bit higher then those guys, I just liked all three of them and they happened to be in a lower price range.
I would of assumed he would be suitable for dressage, but that's just my ignorance.

Live to ride. Ride to live.
Tasia is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
I think that although his legs are decent, he isn't well angled behind and is too heavy for any kind of strenuous riding. He also doesn't even track up in the trot and has a precarious canter. There is a cutting bred QH mare at my barn with more talent for Dressage than this guy, and she is still sound mid teens. You can easily find a nice QH or Appendix who will be both suitable for riding and sound.
Posted via Mobile Device
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Out of curiosity, is it possible to train him out of these things (not his back angles, of course, lol)?
soenjer55 is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
The rider in the video is decent (so shows the horse's natural gaits well), and having owned a draft cross and ridden a few, in my experience they aren't ever going to track up or have really nice canters (or canter at all in some cases) despite whatever training you put on them. Plus the heaviness will never be able to be trained out as it is how he is built. I've always found them to be choppy and short strided as well, this guy is no exception.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,444
• Horses: 1
I've met draft crosses who have lovely fluid movement and track up. Mine is 19 years old and sound as a dollar (knock on wood). This horse isn't one of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
thesilverspear is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,014
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
I think that although his legs are decent, he isn't well angled behind and is too heavy for any kind of strenuous riding. He also doesn't even track up in the trot and has a precarious canter. There is a cutting bred QH mare at my barn with more talent for Dressage than this guy, and she is still sound mid teens. You can easily find a nice QH or Appendix who will be both suitable for riding and sound.
Posted via Mobile Device
Doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe a better rider and more training would help. We are talking low level not Gran Prix.
I thought he was a nice looking horse and she had plenty of pictures and video on him verses a few bad pictures showing some purdy color.
churumbeque is offline  
post #29 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by churumbeque View Post
Doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe a better rider and more training would help. We are talking low level not Gran Prix.
I thought he was a nice looking horse and she had plenty of pictures and video on him verses a few bad pictures showing some purdy color.
As I said, IMO that rider is riding him quite well so no, I don't think a better rider will help. I never said he couldn't do it, just that it will be hard and I don't think he will stand up to the work. Why make it hard for a horse not built for the work when you can buy a horse who will find training/first level easy. Yes it is lower level, but would you rather be riding a clunky, choppy strided horse with a bad canter that may or may not stay sound or a smooth strided, well built horse that can easily perform the work and stay sound? I personally would go for the second horse. This draft cross is not ideal for moderate work even and a well conformed QH or Appendix is far more suitable.

Just because something is cresty doesn't mean it's a good dressage prospect, even at the lower levels.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #30 of 32 Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ View Post
The rider in the video is decent (so shows the horse's natural gaits well), and having owned a draft cross and ridden a few, in my experience they aren't ever going to track up or have really nice canters (or canter at all in some cases) despite whatever training you put on them. Plus the heaviness will never be able to be trained out as it is how he is built. I've always found them to be choppy and short strided as well, this guy is no exception.
One more question to bug you with
You say that he is too heavy for his legs- I thought he had nice bone, and wasn't too heavy at all. In fact, I thought that he looks like he has better bone than the 2nd qh to me, who looks like his body is about the same size with smaller bone... What am I misjudging here?
soenjer55 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions please! Horses for trails Thyme Trail Riding 15 03-23-2012 07:13 PM
Some of my edits I have done (not all horses)Tell me your opinions :) AngieLee Horse Artwork 4 07-05-2011 10:47 PM
Goofing around with horses? Opinions? wannahorse22 Horse Talk 22 02-19-2011 06:52 PM
Opinions on these three horses? Jordan S Horse Riding Critique 38 04-23-2010 04:04 PM
Diving Horses... Opinions? PonyGirl93 Horse Talk 7 10-08-2009 05:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome