Your opinions on these horses - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Conformation Critique

Your opinions on these horses

This is a discussion on Your opinions on these horses within the Horse Conformation Critique forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree5Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
      #21
    Weanling
    The only thing wrong with number 2 is he's sold.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-09-2012, 12:35 AM
      #22
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    Just because it's a draft cross doesn't mean it's automatically a "warmblood", sound, and definitely does not make it a dressage horse. I would pick a well built QH over that third guy. Unless you are larger and require a horse with that build I would keep on looking. He will most likely be an uncomfortable choppy ride and with that build and the weight on those legs I doubt he will stay sound even with only lower level dressage work. A nice QH will be far sounder and more versatile. But for your price range, you might have to settle.

    Good luck!
    Nobody said any of that. In fact, I picked him as my favorite before I even bothered to read that he was a draft cross. I'm not quite sure if you're saying this because of judgement of the horse himself or just because he's a draft cross, honestly... Is there really something wrong with his legs? They look fine to me, minus being over at the knee in the fronts, although I'm not an expert.
         
        05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
      #23
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    Just because it's a draft cross doesn't mean it's automatically a "warmblood", sound, and definitely does not make it a dressage horse. I would pick a well built QH over that third guy. Unless you are larger and require a horse with that build I would keep on looking. He will most likely be an uncomfortable choppy ride and with that build and the weight on those legs I doubt he will stay sound even with only lower level dressage work. A nice QH will be far sounder and more versatile. But for your price range, you might have to settle.

    Good luck!
    Anebel, I really respect your opinion but my budget it's quite a bit higher then those guys, I just liked all three of them and they happened to be in a lower price range.
    I would of assumed he would be suitable for dressage, but that's just my ignorance.
         
        05-09-2012, 01:38 AM
      #24
    Trained
    I think that although his legs are decent, he isn't well angled behind and is too heavy for any kind of strenuous riding. He also doesn't even track up in the trot and has a precarious canter. There is a cutting bred QH mare at my barn with more talent for Dressage than this guy, and she is still sound mid teens. You can easily find a nice QH or Appendix who will be both suitable for riding and sound.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-09-2012, 01:41 AM
      #25
    Yearling
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to train him out of these things (not his back angles, of course, lol)?
         
        05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
      #26
    Trained
    The rider in the video is decent (so shows the horse's natural gaits well), and having owned a draft cross and ridden a few, in my experience they aren't ever going to track up or have really nice canters (or canter at all in some cases) despite whatever training you put on them. Plus the heaviness will never be able to be trained out as it is how he is built. I've always found them to be choppy and short strided as well, this guy is no exception.
         
        05-09-2012, 11:02 AM
      #27
    Yearling
    I've met draft crosses who have lovely fluid movement and track up. Mine is 19 years old and sound as a dollar (knock on wood). This horse isn't one of them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-09-2012, 11:05 AM
      #28
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    I think that although his legs are decent, he isn't well angled behind and is too heavy for any kind of strenuous riding. He also doesn't even track up in the trot and has a precarious canter. There is a cutting bred QH mare at my barn with more talent for Dressage than this guy, and she is still sound mid teens. You can easily find a nice QH or Appendix who will be both suitable for riding and sound.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe a better rider and more training would help. We are talking low level not Gran Prix.
    I thought he was a nice looking horse and she had plenty of pictures and video on him verses a few bad pictures showing some purdy color.
         
        05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
      #29
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by churumbeque    
    Doesn't mean he can't do it. Maybe a better rider and more training would help. We are talking low level not Gran Prix.
    I thought he was a nice looking horse and she had plenty of pictures and video on him verses a few bad pictures showing some purdy color.
    As I said, IMO that rider is riding him quite well so no, I don't think a better rider will help. I never said he couldn't do it, just that it will be hard and I don't think he will stand up to the work. Why make it hard for a horse not built for the work when you can buy a horse who will find training/first level easy. Yes it is lower level, but would you rather be riding a clunky, choppy strided horse with a bad canter that may or may not stay sound or a smooth strided, well built horse that can easily perform the work and stay sound? I personally would go for the second horse. This draft cross is not ideal for moderate work even and a well conformed QH or Appendix is far more suitable.

    Just because something is cresty doesn't mean it's a good dressage prospect, even at the lower levels.
         
        05-09-2012, 10:18 PM
      #30
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
    The rider in the video is decent (so shows the horse's natural gaits well), and having owned a draft cross and ridden a few, in my experience they aren't ever going to track up or have really nice canters (or canter at all in some cases) despite whatever training you put on them. Plus the heaviness will never be able to be trained out as it is how he is built. I've always found them to be choppy and short strided as well, this guy is no exception.
    One more question to bug you with
    You say that he is too heavy for his legs- I thought he had nice bone, and wasn't too heavy at all. In fact, I thought that he looks like he has better bone than the 2nd qh to me, who looks like his body is about the same size with smaller bone... What am I misjudging here?
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Opinions please! Horses for trails Thyme Trail Riding 15 03-23-2012 07:13 PM
    Some of my edits I have done (not all horses)Tell me your opinions :) AngieLee Horse Artwork 4 07-05-2011 10:47 PM
    Goofing around with horses? Opinions? wannahorse22 Horse Talk 22 02-19-2011 06:52 PM
    Opinions on these three horses? Jordan S Horse Riding Critique 38 04-23-2010 04:04 PM
    Diving Horses... Opinions? PonyGirl93 Horse Talk 7 10-08-2009 05:53 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0