So this is a horse knowledge quiz competition. Winner gets a smileyface a round of applauseand the privilege of putting "Horse Knowlege Competition Winner" on their signature (if they want) . The questions will start out easy and then get harder. If you don't know the answer to a question, you can either not fill it in or fill it in with something goofy. I will ask you PLEASE do not look up the answers on the internet. If you have a horsey book and you want to see if the answers are in there, that's great! But I want this to be educational as well as fun for everyone and if you look it up on the internet, the answer is less prone to stay in your memory. So anyways, have fun, and here's the questions!
1. What is the first part of the horse's digestive system?
2. Which breed of horse is most susceptible to attacks by dogs due to it's size?
3. When most people picture a pony, what breed do they often think of?
4. What is the vector for Lyme Disease?
5. What breed does the AQHA register?
6. What is the common name for the sensitive hairs around the muzzle?
7. How many teeth does an adult male horse have?
8. What what is another name for the bone that is shaped like a miniature hoof and is known as the third phalanx?
9. What is the term for a narrow patch of white on a horse's muzzle?
10. What horse coat color modification causes a horse to gradually become lighter over time?
11. The American Studbook is regulated by which breed registry?
12. Which english saddle would you use if you wanted to do jumping with very little flatwork?
13. Which two gaits do standardbreds race?
14. Which equine disease is almost exclusively seen in stabled horses?
15. What is the tough, membranous tissue that surrounds the bone?
16. Which horse breed is known for a heavy eyelid commonly referred to as a "Toad Eye"?
17. The genus Gasterophilus refers to what parasite?
18. What is the powerful middle layer of the uterus that is responsible for contractions?
19. What is a tandem hitch?
20. What is the name of the first horse that originated 58 million years ago?
21. Which feed is most commonly fed to horses with respiratory problems?
22. What type of shoe is often used on reining horses?
23. What is the term for a mare that has never been bred?
24. What is the minimum width of a horse stall door?
25. Who was the foundation stallion of the Albino?
26. What is the nickname given to the spirited Hackney Pony?
27. What does WSFI stand for?
28. What is the recommended slope for an equine facility?
29. What substance is often applied to the bottom of a shoe to increase traction?
20. Leucoencephalomalacia is commonly known as what?
31. How many bones are in the hock?
32. What does OCD stand for? (hint: no, it's not obsessive compulsive disorder ;) )
33. At what age has the galvine's groove reached the bottom of the upper corner incisor?
34. What is wrong with this sentence? "The umbilical cord of the foal should be dipped in iodine after being cut."
35. What was the name of the first one toed horse?
36. What is the name of the rickettsia that causes potomac horse fever?
37. Name two plants that cause nigropallidal encephalomalacia.
38. Name 3 diseases transmitted by the mosquito.
39. What are the names of the "big three" strongyles?
40. What is the scientific name for bighead disease?
41. What three parts of the digestive system are responsible for the greatest absorption of water?
42. Name four symptoms of tetanus.
43. Name 4 plants that cause acute alkaloid poisoning.
44. The anterior pituitary gland is responsible for secreting what 4 hormones?
45. What are the 5 types of teeth present in the horse?
46. Name 4 systemic fungal diseases.
47. Name the two species of pinworms that infect the horse.
48. Identify the breeds associated with each of the following stallions:
Man O' War
49. How long does it take for spermatogenesis and maturation of sperm. Where do each of these take place?
50. Name the formula for calculating total digestible nutrients.
The contest will close next weekend, 11/24/12