Originally Posted by ThatNinjaHorse View Post
1) Wash any white socks with "Jif" or any cream cleanser. They come up very white
2) Put an egg in their food once a week and it will help condition and shine the coat
3) Mix mouthwash and lanoline together and rub into tail to help it grow faster
4) After you have washed your horses tail plat it the night before the show. In the morning the horses tail will look fuller since the waves from the plat create this impression.
5) Mix 50% baby oil and 50% surgical spirits and spray onto mane and tail for very clean, dust free shine.
I thought I'd correct a few of the points made.
Point 1) is dangerous, you run the risk of chemical burns on your horses legs, massive allergic reactions or both. Jif specificly stated on the back of the bottle that you are to avoid contact with skin where possible.
Point 2) this is an old wives tale and doesnt work, it can also upset the delicate balance of protiens in a horses system and induce lammi. A far better way to get a good shine is to feed flax oil.
3) Alcohol and lanoline? nothing that will promote hair growth there! if anything it will just make a gooy mess.
4) all very well for some breeds but in serveral breeds wavy hair is concidered coarse and is heavily peanalised.
5) surgical spirits will create a burning sensation for the horse if left on the skin! not nice!
1)Wash white legs in green or yellow fairy liquid. Rins very very well. then using crushed white chalk (the stuff they use for showing cattle) add some water to it to make a liquid, sponge onto white legs, allow to dry then bandage (this ensures that you dont get lines from bandages.
Results in spotless, gleaming white socks every time, with no harsh chemicals.
2) Pig oil mixed with flour of sulphur prevents mud fever like nothing else. If you put it on legs once a week the mud just wont stick. It is also brilliant for preventing stains on white legs.
3) if you keep your horse warm then its coat will lie flat and look incredibly shiney.
4) full body lycra rugs are gods gift to people who show!