To Bag or Not to Bag???
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

To Bag or Not to Bag???

This is a discussion on To Bag or Not to Bag??? within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-27-2009, 02:27 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    To Bag or Not to Bag???

    So I wanted to know everyones opinions and experiences on tail bags.

    I have a Dun Quarter Horse and I have a tail bag on at the moment. I soak in oil and right it vet wrap and then put the bag on,but I have noticed some broken hairs where it tires into his tail. He has an extremely long tail right now, it touches the ground, plus we have 2 feet of snow on the ground. It needs to fill out more too, because it thinner at the end. I guess I'm just worried he is going to step on it. I need his tail this length because of his tail set. I hear that you should not use them in the summer months due to them swatting at flies that causes breakage.I have heard good things about the braid in ones but I never see anyone using them.

    So tell me what you think!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-27-2009, 02:44 PM
      #2
    Foal
    My suggestion is to not use the vet wrap or oil. The vet wrap doesn't let it breath and the oil is fine in moderation but I wouldn't use it unless you can wash the oil out weekly. It will build up and may cause problem. I use infusium leave in hair treatment from the store (human) and braid it and put a tube sock over it. I re-do as needed, usually 1x a week. Both of my horses have great thick tails, no need for extentions. Hope this helps some
         
        01-27-2009, 02:44 PM
      #3
    Trained
    I don't use a tail bag, I just use vet wrap. I condition it, braid it, loop it up and then vet wrap it.

    I used a braid in tail bag before and I always had a tough time with it. Either it would fall out the next day, or a few days would go by and it was droopy.

    I vetwrapped my horses' tails like 3 months ago. Not only did it grow in length, but they all got thicker (I have 2 apps and 1 qh)
         
        01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    I try to take it out every so often and give a good brushing and then leave it out for a while to breathe. I just washed it today and put some of that Sante Fe spray in conditioner in it. Yea the oil is real messy too. I didn't really like it. It made it all greasy. I read it somewhere though so I though I would give a try.
         
        01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    I use the braid in tail wraps - they are really good and I have never had a problem with breakage. Just was, conditition LET DRY then braid away. I have found over the years that if you braid them in wet, the hair can rot and break off if you don't tend to it often. Although I have been know to leave the braid wrap in for around a month in the off season so it is important that it is prepaired right to avoid any irritation to your horse.
    tail wrap2.jpg
    tail wrap3.jpg
         
        01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
      #6
    Weanling
    Thumbs up

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I Love Lane    
    i use the braid in tail wraps - they are really good and I have never had a problem with breakage. Just was, conditition LET DRY then braid away. I have found over the years that if you braid them in wet, the hair can rot and break off if you don't tend to it often. Although I have been know to leave the braid wrap in for around a month in the off season so it is important that it is prepaired right to avoid any irritation to your horse.
    Attachment 3514
    Attachment 3515
    Thanks I think I'm going to try them out. Any advice about putting them in or is it self explaintory?
         
        01-28-2009, 06:13 AM
      #7
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowgirlfitzy    
    Thanks I think I'm going to try them out. Any advice about putting them in or is it self explaintory?
    pretty easy to work out when you have them in your hand.... there is 3 sections, wrap a piece of the braid in each bit and you will work it out
         
        01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
      #8
    Started
    The only time I brush my horse's tail is before shows and only after it is washed and conditioned. The rest of the time he goes au naturale. He has a really thick tail and I also take off about 3-4 inches every 3 months or so. No problems, just leave it alone.
         
        01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by My Beau    
    The only time I brush my horse's tail is before shows and only after it is washed and conditioned. The rest of the time he goes au naturale. He has a really thick tail and I also take off about 3-4 inches every 3 months or so. No problems, just leave it alone.
    this will work fine if your horse is blessed with a naturally great tail but most horses are not so lucky and DO require maintenance to make their locks shine......
         
        01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
      #10
    Weanling
    I wash my horses's tail and then use a detangler on it. Let it dry and then I braid it, below the dock of course. Then I slather conditioner all over the braid and I either use a tube sock or a tail bag and fold the tail up in the bag/sock and then weave the ties through the braid and tie them in a knot. I leave it in for a few weeks then I take the tail down for about a week and let it breath and then it goes right back up. Works really well.
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0