bean in gelding - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

bean in gelding

This is a discussion on bean in gelding within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Girls sucking on straws stuck in boys ureather
  • Removing a bean from geldings penis

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-11-2012, 10:08 PM
  #21
Green Broke
About the noise, it can't be guts because mares don't slosh. Only geldings and stallions slosh. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether they are clean.
texasgal likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-26-2012, 09:14 PM
  #22
Foal
Ok I cleaned him tonight and he did very well so I could clean his sheath but would not stay droped to clean him very well on the outside. It does look like his urenth is stiking out. I tried to take a picture tonight but it was to dark. Is this normal?
     
    07-26-2012, 09:20 PM
  #23
Yearling
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    07-26-2012, 09:31 PM
  #24
Started
Yep, it can be normal- how prominent it is seems to be varies though. The opening of the urethra sticks out on its own. The bean lives in the pocket between that "outie" and the rest of his penis.
     
    07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
  #25
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
About the noise, it can't be guts because mares don't slosh. Only geldings and stallions slosh. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether they are clean.
My personal theory is this. This is an inner chamber up there where the penis hides when it is fully retracted. This is kind of like a ring feeling chamber it hides behind. So I think the sloshing noise has something to do with having the penis tucked up behind that chamber. I have had geldings make the noise when I am trotting them under saddle. Not a lazy trot but an excited, energetic trot. So I think that noise happens when the penis is tucked all the way up and hiding. I kind of think of it like they are sucking air into that space or something!

Also, I should mention sheath cleaning and bean removal are two separate things. I cleaned the sheath for years, got all sorts of gunk out, but wasn't until a couple of years ago that someone showed me how to find and remove the bean.

So you can be faithfully cleaning the sheath and miss the bean. Or removed the bean and leave the sheath dirty. The two don't necissarily go together.

The bean is actually hidden in a pouch on the end of the penis. I usually try to check that when the geldings are dropped. Sheath cleaning I usually do as a separate procedure, since my boys typically don't drop when I am sheath cleaning.

I have had friends say their horse is clean because his penis looks clean. Um, no, the sheath can still be gunky and the horse can still have a bean. You don't know until you check those things.

Wow, I guess I have been doing this way too long!
texasgal likes this.
     
    07-26-2012, 10:22 PM
  #26
Foal
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie    
Yep, it can be normal- how prominent it is seems to be varies though. The opening of the urethra sticks out on its own. The bean lives in the pocket between that "outie" and the rest of his penis.


I was worried that something was really wrong. I am going to try to look for the bean tomorrow. Just want to do one thing at a time. First time for me always had mares. Hopefully he will stay down if not I will try to get the vet out here to check it out. He is not showing any signs of discomfort or swelling. Just wanted to make sure everthing is alright.
     
    07-26-2012, 10:43 PM
  #27
Green Broke
With Cinny, he sometimes makes the noise, sometimes he doesn't. I never really thought about the "why" I just figured it was a "gelding thing" and normal.

Tail rubbing, constant "dropping," irritable for seemingly no reason, frequent urination or attempts to urinate, and sometimes frequent rolling (more than normal for your horse, they are all different) can all be signs he needs a sheath cleaning.

There could also be other things going on besides a "bean" if they do these things. It's rare, but other things can get up there too... The first time I cleaned Cinny's sheath after buying him, he had a plastic straw wrapper (juice box straw) stuck up in there and it appeared to have been there for quite some time. I would be on the watch for anything.

I know it's gross, but try to watch your horse pee on occasion as you can kind of eyeball how clean they are. Also if it looks like he has trouble or "poor flow" or it "sprays" to one side, there could be a bean.
     
    07-26-2012, 10:54 PM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
With Cinny, he sometimes makes the noise, sometimes he doesn't. I never really thought about the "why" I just figured it was a "gelding thing" and normal.

Tail rubbing, constant "dropping," irritable for seemingly no reason, frequent urination or attempts to urinate, and sometimes frequent rolling (more than normal for your horse, they are all different) can all be signs he needs a sheath cleaning.

There could also be other things going on besides a "bean" if they do these things. It's rare, but other things can get up there too... The first time I cleaned Cinny's sheath after buying him, he had a plastic straw wrapper (juice box straw) stuck up in there and it appeared to have been there for quite some time. I would be on the watch for anything.

I know it's gross, but try to watch your horse pee on occasion as you can kind of eyeball how clean they are. Also if it looks like he has trouble or "poor flow" or it "sprays" to one side, there could be a bean.
He pees just fine, and no rubbing. I cleaned his sheath tonight really good and it was not to dirty. Did not know you could go so high.
     
    07-26-2012, 10:58 PM
  #29
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terre    
He pees just fine, and no rubbing. I cleaned his sheath tonight really good and it was not to dirty. Did not know you could go so high.
I borrow gloves from a farmer friend.... the ones that go up to your shoulder that they wear to palpate for calves.
     
    07-26-2012, 11:15 PM
  #30
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
I borrow gloves from a farmer friend.... the ones that go up to your shoulder that they wear to palpate for calves.
I will have to remember that . Just grossed out my family. Next time they will not ask me what was so funny
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Huge bean! Looking for advice! clavoie Horse Health 7 05-11-2012 10:40 AM
Sheena Bean! VanillaBean Horse Pictures 17 03-14-2012 05:54 PM
Bean Dipping! Joshie Horse Health 4 07-23-2009 12:18 PM
Soy-Bean addition doczahi Horse Health 2 05-02-2008 05:21 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0