Before and after clipping - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Before and after clipping

This is a discussion on Before and after clipping within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Before and after clipped miniatures
  • Super hero symbol

Like Tree25Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-18-2012, 11:49 PM
  #21
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemms    
LOVE everyone's ponies!! The difference is always so dramatic.

This is Scout, our 2 year old Gotland gelding. Didn't snap a shot of him just before his first clip this spring, but he has a really evident two-stage shed... First, he loses the whispy woolies of winter, then he takes his time shaking out this thick bison coat, similar to the OP's pony. The before was sometime around January/February of this year. The after was less than 12 hours after his first clip ever, 1 hour before entering his first show ring ever - lol! Good little pony to cart my kid around so well. The third pic is a month later, having finally shed out that burnt clipped hair.





That has to be the cutest pony EVER!!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-18-2012, 11:57 PM
  #22
Weanling
Oh, and the only reason I clipped our pony is because he sheds out much too slowly for our warm season.

As a dog groomer, I chose to use my #7 blades, clipping against the grain. This lifts the coat as I cut so I don't get track marks or a chunky finish. The #10 blade that comes with most models of clippers is renowned for this and much too short if used in reverse. While you're at it, snag a few #7s to swap out as one blade heats up, setting the others to cool. A hot blade will clog easier. Best to bathe the horse first, too, but it must be dry before you clip - 110%. Clean and oil your blades once your done before your store them and they'll last you the life of your horse. Only clip a clean horse and you'll never even need to get them sharpened!

That's it for my hot tips tonight, lol!
     
    07-19-2012, 12:00 AM
  #23
Weanling
Thanks for the compliment! We're very partial and disgustingly biased, lol!
     
    07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
  #24
Weanling
Before




I love the colour her coat goes in winter - but its too hard not to clip as I compete through winter :)

After


hemms likes this.
     
    07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
  #25
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody111    
Before




I love the colour her coat goes in winter - but its too hard not to clip as I compete through winter :)

After


:0 She is gorgeous! Awesome clip job! She looks EXACTLY like my friend's morgan gelding, Challenger. The white star, curly mane, EVERYTHING!
shaggy likes this.
     
    07-19-2012, 10:27 AM
  #26
Foal
Jodi111 - I absolutely LOVE your clip design!!!

I tried DESPERATELY to not have to clip him this winter.....but he just sweat soooo much. He grows such a thick coat. I am hoping next year being on this better diet and consistent work and a different environment that we wont have to clip this year but we'll see.

BEFORE:


FIRST CLIP JOB: JUST THE MOOBIES AND HIS SUPER HERO SYMBOL! He looks thrilled here.



SECOND CLIP: HORRENDOUS


DURING THE FINAL CLIPPING :)



COMPLETE! I LEFT HIS LEGHURSSS
waresbear likes this.
     
    07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
  #27
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisfulc    
Jodi111 - I absolutely LOVE your clip design!!!

I tried DESPERATELY to not have to clip him this winter.....but he just sweat soooo much. He grows such a thick coat. I am hoping next year being on this better diet and consistent work and a different environment that we wont have to clip this year but we'll see.

BEFORE:


FIRST CLIP JOB: JUST THE MOOBIES AND HIS SUPER HERO SYMBOL! He looks thrilled here.



SECOND CLIP: HORRENDOUS


DURING THE FINAL CLIPPING :)



COMPLETE! I LEFT HIS LEGHURSSS

Looks like you were having fun clipping!
shaggy and barrelbeginner like this.
     
    07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
  #28
Weanling
A Tip for Clipping minis for show!!:

That little triangle that is on the rump at the dock of the tail Take a piece of baler twine and put it under the tail, cross the pieces and create a triangle, and hold, or have someone else hold it and follow the line for clipping, helps get the triangle straight.
     
    07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
  #29
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemms    
Oh, and the only reason I clipped our pony is because he sheds out much too slowly for our warm season.

As a dog groomer, I chose to use my #7 blades, clipping against the grain. This lifts the coat as I cut so I don't get track marks or a chunky finish. The #10 blade that comes with most models of clippers is renowned for this and much too short if used in reverse. While you're at it, snag a few #7s to swap out as one blade heats up, setting the others to cool. A hot blade will clog easier. Best to bathe the horse first, too, but it must be dry before you clip - 110%. Clean and oil your blades once your done before your store them and they'll last you the life of your horse. Only clip a clean horse and you'll never even need to get them sharpened!

That's it for my hot tips tonight, lol!
I was actually going to post to ask what blades everyone uses. My trainer clipped my TB for winter 2 years ago, I was going to do it(i'm also a dog groomer) but she started clipping her before I got there and she did it with a 10 in reverse which I thought was WAY too short and it took forever to look normal(finally grew in in April/May when she was clipped in november) When I was going to do it I was going to either use a 7 in reverse or a 10 with the grain. She was half way done when I got to the barn and looked like a zebra because of all the lines It took longer to fix then it would have to just do it myself
     
    07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
  #30
Weanling
This is as fancy as I get on the body, but I like it! 23104_100000781994714_9472_n.jpg
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clipping help! Zoey1002 Horse Grooming 7 07-19-2012 03:12 AM
How much do you pay for clipping? xNigelx Horse Grooming 17 08-03-2010 09:53 PM
Clipping Small_Town_Girl Horse Grooming 9 04-09-2009 08:00 PM
Clipping under the jaw kitten_Val Horse Grooming 6 03-20-2009 08:50 AM
Clipping? chelssss(: Horse Tack and Equipment 5 01-22-2009 08:28 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0