Black coats
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Black coats

This is a discussion on Black coats within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Best horse coat ever
  • What to feed horse to keep his coat dark

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
  #1
Foal
Black coats

So do the shampoos out there that claim to enhance the black coat really work? I feel like I should know this because I'm a cosmetologist but I'm not really familiar with horse coats yet haha. Nobody would ever let me alone with horses tails and manes because they were afraid I would cut them haha but I know better than that!

Anyways our horses coat is fading because of the sun and I want his coat to look more black than brown but I found all different types of color enhancing shampoos, which ones work if any? And I'm not afraid to spend money on something like this since hair is my life!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-04-2009, 11:37 AM
  #2
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeartsCantBeBroken    
So do the shampoos out there that claim to enhance the black coat really work? I feel like I should know this because I'm a cosmetologist but I'm not really familiar with horse coats yet haha. Nobody would ever let me alone with horses tails and manes because they were afraid I would cut them haha but I know better than that!

Anyways our horses coat is fading because of the sun and I want his coat to look more black than brown but I found all different types of color enhancing shampoos, which ones work if any? And I'm not afraid to spend money on something like this since hair is my life!
No, or at least the ones I have tried don't. There are some things that work well in keeping the coat black but it's stuff that needs to be added to a daily feed and will test positive in drugs tests at shows. Your best bet is probably going to be to keep him covered with a blanket during the winter and a thick fly sheet with cover during the summer.
Good Lukck, please post anything you try that you find works as I am always on the same cure for black as you are
     
    01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
  #3
Super Moderator
I've used the dark enhancing coat cleaners but I'm not sure if they work or not. If you do not have a "true" black horse, then he/she will redden or fade in the sun. If you have a "true" black, then the sun will not effect the coat. I have a walker that never fades or turns colors but I have a friend that has one that is a very very dark bay that will end up w/ red tips. There is a supplement I've heard alot about that you can feed black horses and it sounds like it really works.... If you take a fly sheet w/ a neck color and then a fly mask you can keep them pretty dark year aroudn.
     
    01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
  #4
Foal
Other than the food additives such as Black as Knight, or BOSS, etc. there is no way to keep a horse from sunburning unless they are true black. I have several dark horses that I show and during show season they are turned out in the early morning or the early evening, never in the full sun of day. I also use sunflower ultraviolet spray made by Healthy Hair Care. On my dark horses I use a shampoo called Silverado Silver ( for that matter I use it on all my horses from buckskins, to grays, to silver bays, to etc) It is also formulated by Healthy Hair Care. Double K makes a shampoo that is called Black Knight (sp?) that is a concentrated shampoo, several people on the mini/shetland circuit use it but I have not. Good Luck!!!
     
    01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
  #5
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84    
I've used the dark enhancing coat cleaners but I'm not sure if they work or not. If you do not have a "true" black horse, then he/she will redden or fade in the sun. If you have a "true" black, then the sun will not effect the coat. I have a walker that never fades or turns colors but I have a friend that has one that is a very very dark bay that will end up w/ red tips. There is a supplement I've heard alot about that you can feed black horses and it sounds like it really works.... If you take a fly sheet w/ a neck color and then a fly mask you can keep them pretty dark year aroudn.
Actually it's nt 100% accurate. My guy is a true black but my guy's mane and tail (the endings) is what takes the blunt of it but he does ever so lightly fades. Tho his coat does stay quite black it doesn't stay as dark when exposed to the sun all summer. Looking into blanketing him this summer(or fly sheets I should say).
     
    01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
  #6
Foal
So if they get sun bleached does it ever go back to black? That sounds like a dumb question to me because they should be continuously growing hair, right? My guess is he's not a true black.
     
    01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
  #7
Started
My horse is very very black right now. In the pictures I have in here...he looks like he is very dark brown. It takes the full summer for him to get that faded, but then at the end of summer he goes back to black. Its only when the sun is really beating down on him that his coat lightens. For the rest of the season and until mid summer he is black, with no other colors on him whatsoever. I was told that he need a blanket on during the parts of the day when the sun was the harshest.
     
    01-05-2009, 09:59 AM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHeartsCantBeBroken    
So if they get sun bleached does it ever go back to black? That sounds like a dumb question to me because they should be continuously growing hair, right? My guess is he's not a true black.
Not a dumb question at all! Just like people, hair is always replacing itself so yes it does go back to black as the new hair comes in. One reason why it's nice(out here anyways) to start keeping your horse covered in the spring when the sun comes out again as they have a brand new black coat thru the winter.
     
    01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
  #9
Foal
My horse travis is all black all I do is Clean him normaly Keep his blanket on in winter and Show sheen when his coat starts to look dull he's still shiny
     
    01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
  #10
Weanling
Theirs a supplement that works whell called black as night you can get it iat smart pake equine
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black X Red Dun county Horse Breeding 3 11-29-2008 10:28 AM
Whats the best shampoo for dark chestnut coats ? shijaye Horse Grooming 11 11-01-2008 06:25 AM
BLACK LAB GONE BAD!!! KANSAS_TWISTER General Off Topic Discussion 10 05-25-2008 10:10 AM
2 English Horse Show Coats hburke Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 04-16-2007 09:03 AM
summer VS. winter coats barnrat Horse Grooming 20 03-31-2007 11:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0