Clipping questions
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Clipping questions

This is a discussion on Clipping questions within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Clipping a western horse forum
  • Clipping black horse to cooler summer

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-27-2013, 07:59 PM
  #1
Foal
Clipping questions

Hi all!
So, I decided to clip my black gelding this summer to help keep him cooler because he gets waaay to overheated in the summer, but I have a few questions.

1) Which clippers would you recommend for body clipping? Though I would love to save money, I want some good clippers and am willing to fork out $$ to get them.

2) Do you have to re-clip every so often? If yes about how soon?

3) He is a western horse, would clipping look weird on him? Which type of clip would you recommend?

4) Can someone explain this: Someone said when you clip a horse they change color (I knew this) but then they change back to their original color. Is it the hair grows back or what?

Thanks!
ThePaintGirl

     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
  #2
Banned
I have another suggestion for a black horse..

You could keep him up durring the hottest part of the days, and let him out when its cooler--It will bring out his color and keep him cool. :)

As for clippers-- whal clippers are what weve always used. :)

You will be able to tell he's clipped.

You shouldnt have to re-clip again durring the summer.

Not unless he's a roan.
     
    03-27-2013, 08:15 PM
  #3
Trained
They can look a different color, but when they row a new coat it will be their same color. I just body clipped my black mare and she looks grulla
     
    03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
they can look a different color, but when they row a new coat it will be their same color. I just body clipped my black mare and she looks grulla
Me and my sister have a feeling he will be grulla as well.

What kind of clip would you recommend for him? Im just hoping he wont look weird being a western horse, but as long as he is comfortable I guess it really doesn't matter what he looks like
     
    03-27-2013, 08:57 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
I have another suggestion for a black horse..

You could keep him up durring the hottest part of the days, and let him out when its cooler--It will bring out his color and keep him cool. :)

As for clippers-- whal clippers are what weve always used. :)

You will be able to tell he's clipped.

You shouldnt have to re-clip again durring the summer.

Not unless he's a roan.
I don't have a way to keep him up out of the sun. We haven't finished our barn yet (and wont until fall) I thought about maybe buying a sheet but it would soo not last a day.

Thank you!
toto likes this.
     
    03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
  #6
Weanling
Any thoughts about removing that last layer of sun protection? It's something we consider, as groomers, when clipping dogs. I'm not sure a slick summer coat does add much heat. If we're talking about a spring clip to beat the shedding, they would grow back enough coat to protect them during the *dog days*.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-27-2013, 09:34 PM
  #7
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaintGirl    
Me and my sister have a feeling he will be grulla as well.

What kind of clip would you recommend for him? Im just hoping he wont look weird being a western horse, but as long as he is comfortable I guess it really doesn't matter what he looks like
i body clipped, then they are all even. Clipped every single hair on her body but a spot where here saddle is and mane/tail/forelock of course.

I wouldnt worry about sunburn or heat or anything. When you clip them its about the same length as their summer coat anyways. Not like shaving the coat/undercoat of a dog. If you are worried you can always get a fly sheet. I would recommend a kensington, they last forever.
     
    03-27-2013, 09:52 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemms    
Any thoughts about removing that last layer of sun protection? It's something we consider, as groomers, when clipping dogs. I'm not sure a slick summer coat does add much heat. If we're talking about a spring clip to beat the shedding, they would grow back enough coat to protect them during the *dog days*.
Posted via Mobile Device
If he starts to sunburn then I have sunblock for horses (my mare is a paint and she burns in certain areas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsygirl    
i body clipped, then they are all even. Clipped every single hair on her body but a spot where here saddle is and mane/tail/forelock of course.

I wouldnt worry about sunburn or heat or anything. When you clip them its about the same length as their summer coat anyways. Not like shaving the coat/undercoat of a dog. If you are worried you can always get a fly sheet. I would recommend a kensington, they last forever.
I was hoping to do a body clip. How would you do a saddle spot? Just place my saddle (or pad?) on and trace with chalk and clip around?

Also, someone said somewhere that in the winter you leave a saddle spot, in the summer you clip it all off. Is it preference?

Thanks again!
     
    03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
  #9
Trained
I like to leave one just in case so they don't get rubs there. My mare is super sensitive though !
     
    03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
  #10
Started
I honestly don't see the reason in clipping a horse in the summer, unless you are showing him and need to
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clipping Questions. LoveTheSaddlebreds Horse Grooming 10 11-04-2012 07:38 AM
Clipping Questions Answered mistyxrex123 Horse Grooming 10 10-28-2012 08:04 PM
Clipping Questions (newbie to clipping) tambouro07 Horse Grooming 1 10-02-2012 01:20 AM
clipping questions majustesen Horse Grooming 4 11-10-2009 05:07 PM
Body Clipping Questions!?! Angelhorsegirl Horse Grooming 5 10-31-2009 04:34 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0