Farriers Using Twitches - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 449
• Horses: 0
oh and I also think that using a twitch is like avoiding the situation and taking the easy way out. This is just my opinion.
Jr_lover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alliance, Ohio
Posts: 1,500
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_lover
oh and I also think that using a twitch is like avoiding the situation and taking the easy way out. This is just my opinion.
Even if it is the easy way out, why not take an easy way out? Why risk your safe-being when there is other ways.

"Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness."
Harlee rides horses is offline  
post #23 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,824
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_lover
oh and I also think that using a twitch is like avoiding the situation and taking the easy way out. This is just my opinion.
Even if it is the easy way out, why not take an easy way out? Why risk your safe-being when there is other ways.
I think what JR means is that it's not actually solving the problem, it's just a quick fix, the horse isnt learning anything.....I think :)
free_sprtd is offline  
post #24 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,619
• Horses: 5
The twitch when used properly can be a handy tool in a bad situation. Some of you may be against it, but if it was an injury situation or the general health of the animal was in jeopardy I wouldn't hesitate to use a twitch. I think the farrier should have just put it off for another day if you objected to the twitch. I certainly wouldn't have paid him for work not done, and my farrier wouldn't have accepted it.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #25 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: maryland
Posts: 119
• Horses: 0
I don't disagree with a twitch altogether I have had to use them before in emergncy cases but not to get their feet trimmed I just think the farrier should have had a little more patiecne and i'm not saying put his life in danger didn't you say that your horse had been done before?was there any problems the times before?
Tammy is offline  
post #26 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
As stated before, twitches can be extremely useful in some situations, and I have no objection to them whatsoever. However, as with just about ANY piece of horse equipment, it has to be used properly otherwise it could cause damage.

If it hasn't been said before (which I'm sure it has by now) taking a hoofpick and using the bendy side (the u-shaped side) and tapping it on your horse's feet will desensitize the horse to it and may make shoeing easier :)

The fact that the farrier wanted to use a piece of equipment not intended as a twitch would make me leery about him/her, not to mention that they wouldn't finish the job. I might suggest looking for another farrier..?


The lovely images above provided by CVLC Photography cvlphotography.com
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #27 of 80 Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,475
• Horses: 0
This is not pointed at the OP. It is in general reference to the hoof handling remarks.

That is one of the things I always stress with my babies. Picking up thier feet well. Once they know to pick up thier feet. I will move thier leg around in the air. Slap thier feet with my hand(or if I have the hoof pick), and rub all over thier legs and surrounding area while the foot is picked up. I do all sorts of stuff to them that I can think of when I have thier feet in my hands. To me, safe foot handling is the number one thing a horse can learn.

To the OP, good luck with your situation. I hope everything settles out alright.
LadyDreamer is offline  
post #28 of 80 Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 449
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_sprtd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr_lover
oh and I also think that using a twitch is like avoiding the situation and taking the easy way out. This is just my opinion.
Even if it is the easy way out, why not take an easy way out? Why risk your safe-being when there is other ways.
I think what JR means is that it's not actually solving the problem, it's just a quick fix, the horse isnt learning anything.....I think :)
yea that's basically what I was trying to say sry if it didn't come out right.
Jr_lover is offline  
post #29 of 80 Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hatton Vale, QLD, Australia
Posts: 5,227
• Horses: 7
as much as I agree that its avoiding the base problem (and im a huge believer in fixing the problem not masking it) sometimes things have to be done. When I had to get my wb's feet done there was no putting it off for another day. My vet had even said his feet need doing ASAP (i had just got him and he had been neglected). I had bought a sedative injection from the vet but decided to see if we could do it without drugs. At became clear we couldnt but decided to try the twitch before sedating. Please keep in mind this is a situation where it HAD to be done.

He settled down nicely and had all his feet done. It certainly has been better since then too. And, he has no ongoing fear of farriers. In fact we havent had a prob since. This I believe is because the twitching was done properly and all it did to him was make it feel like he'd had a few beers and it was time for relaxing :P

If a twitch is used for such things as subduing a horse cause it pulls its head up when being bridled or something like that, then no, its not necessary and the root of the problem needs to be sorted but when you have a situation where an already dangerous job is being done then there is nothing wrong with making it safer for the people involved and in most cases, less stressful on the horse cause he is in a zen-like state :)

"I whisper but my horse doesnt listen...So I yell!!...He still doesnt listen"


jazzyrider is offline  
post #30 of 80 Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 449
• Horses: 0
yea I understand what you are talking about but basically I just say if you have to do it do it right. Just because something happened to Junior during the time of doing that and i'm just making sure nothing happens to anyone else's horses on here too.
Jr_lover is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome