Originally Posted by wannahorse22
1) Do horses really need to be fed 3x a day? Or would 2x a day be fine? 2) *ONLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION IF YOU CARE FOR YOUR HORSE AT YOUR HOME* Is it difficult to care for your horse and maintain good grades in school all at once? 3) Does owning and caring for a horse help you stay in shape? 4) Do you ever regret purchasing your horse? Was it a BIG change? 5) How often do you ride your horse(s)? Any other information you would like to add would be much appreciated
1) My customer horses get fed 2x per day. However, depending on how much and what kind of food you are feeding that can vary. If you are feeding forage (grass, alfalfa, etc) and feed enough at once that they can 'graze' on it as they choose, you can get by with 1x per day. You just don't want them to completely run out and be without for several hours.
2) It wasn't for me. I would get up and feed before school and then ride in the afternoons between school and basketball practice. Then feed/water in the evening and then come in and do homework. Horses are actually what kept me sane and gave me the motivation to actually do my schoolwork.
3) Absolutely. Between the actual riding and the feeding and watering and, if you keep it stalled, cleaning up after it, that is quite a workout.
4) I can't really answer this one because I have always had horses. However, if I suddenly had to sell all of mine............well, I think I would rather die.
5) I don't get to ride my personal horses nearly as often as I would like but I am on at least 1 horse every day, usually 3 or 4 different ones.
A horse can either make or break a person. It is a lot of work to have them but IMHO, it is totally worth it. Some people don't get enough enjoyment out of them to justify the cost and time it takes to care for them and thus, don't keep them for very long.