Hand clipper on ears? - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Hand clipper on ears?

Anyone tried it?

I can't use automatic trimmer on Jemma's ears. And yes, I've been working with her on that for month already - not better after a month - same reaction as it was on 1st day. I can clip under jaw, nose, lips, chicks, but as long as I bring it close to the ears she freaks out. She's fine with touching, pulling, twisting the ears with the hand (and even 2 hands :) ). It's obviously the sound driving her crazy (and I have one of the most quiet clippers I could find). I can just give them up in the end, but just wanted to try something else.
kitten_Val is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chuluota, Florida
Posts: 184
• Horses: 1
Have you ever tried when ever the clippers are semi close to her ears giving her a treat when she does not react.

I have never tried the hand clippers but I would think they might be hard to use. But that is my thought.

I am in the same boat with my gelding but he really even does not like his ears touched with my hands. When I really was working with him I could get put the small clippers I had in his ear turned on but still was not at the point where I could clip them. I used the treat method where everytime the clippers were and close to his ears he got a treat.

Last edited by Horsel02; 02-21-2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Forgot add the answer to the question
Horsel02 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsel02 View Post
Have you ever tried when ever the clippers are semi close to her ears giving her a treat when she does not react.

I have never tried the hand clippers but I would think they might be hard to use. But that is my thought.

I am in the same boat with my gelding but he really even does not like his ears touched with my hands. When I really was working with him I could get put the small clippers I had in his ear turned on but still was not at the point where I could clip them. I used the treat method where everytime the clippers were and close to his ears he got a treat.
I tried with treats, without treats, bringing close by inch by inch, approaching from different directions, anything I could think of. As long as it's about 1-2 inches from ear she freaks out. Actually I could trim around the ears, but as long as it goes higher - it obviously bothers her. May be she's too sensitive to that sound - I can't stand the "chalk on board" sound for example. As I said I play with her ears and even pull the hair in ears just to see if it may be hurting her or something, and she tolerates it.

BTW, I talked to sales representatives in Dover today, and they said hand clipper is not a good idea because it pulls. They said they know similar examples, so if it's crucial you can use twitch or calmer. I guess I'll just let her go.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val View Post
I tried with treats, without treats, bringing close by inch by inch, approaching from different directions, anything I could think of. As long as it's about 1-2 inches from ear she freaks out. Actually I could trim around the ears, but as long as it goes higher - it obviously bothers her. May be she's too sensitive to that sound - I can't stand the "chalk on board" sound for example. As I said I play with her ears and even pull the hair in ears just to see if it may be hurting her or something, and she tolerates it.

BTW, I talked to sales representatives in Dover today, and they said hand clipper is not a good idea because it pulls. They said they know similar examples, so if it's crucial you can use twitch or calmer. I guess I'll just let her go.

Have you tried twitching her? I have a gelding who absolutely would NOT stand to be clipped. He wouldn't even let you clip any part of his body. I even tried to do it once when he was sedated (after his teeth were floated) and I couldn't do it. He was perfectly fine with the sound, but the second they touched him and he felt the vibration he flipped out.

I had assumed for a while that since he wouldn't even let me clip him when he was sedated that there was no way he'd let me clip him with a twitch on, so I never tried it. But I tried it a couple months ago when I roached his mane and he was perfect. He just stood there like he was asleep. I even did his muzzle, ears, and fetlocks when I finished his mane.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: alberta
Posts: 2,747
• Horses: 1
you could use sissors? rena hates the sound of clippers near her ears too... ithink its because they cant really hear anything out of that ear when they clippers are so close, so they get nervous because thats one of their most useful senses. haha i guess some are fine with it, some arent. rena is scared of the sissors so close to her ears too... haha im slowly working on that one

If there are no horses in heaven... im not going.
ridergirl23 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
I was thinking about sissors, but I'm afraid since it's a pretty sharp object if she suddenly shy away or move I can get into her eye.

CloudsMystique, twitching won't help I'm afraid. The farrier tried to use it once when she didn't behave for him to do the job and it went very bad. It doesn't take her mind away, but makes her even more mad. I may try to clip the ears next month right after the teeth floating (because she's usually knocked out with the drugs pretty good). But I am afraid I'll just let her be.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 310
• Horses: 0
Have you tried shutting them off and just rubbing the inside of her ear and around it to see how she reacts? You could try that and then just slowly build on it..
paint gurl 23 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint gurl 23 View Post
Have you tried shutting them off and just rubbing the inside of her ear and around it to see how she reacts? You could try that and then just slowly build on it..
I tried that too. She tolerates. :)
kitten_Val is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 180
• Horses: 0
have you tried using those little ear puffs? Ear Puffs - Spooking Solutions from SmartPak Equine
HorseLove4ever is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clipper blades Nita Horse Grooming 10 05-25-2015 04:32 PM
Clipper use? wordstoasong Horse Grooming 2 08-12-2009 08:49 PM
Clipper Shy? Nita Horse Grooming 7 07-07-2009 06:55 AM
Clipper?? cjessy Horse Grooming 11 12-04-2008 02:57 AM
clipper problem SonnyWimps Horse Training 16 04-17-2008 01:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome