How often should I bathe and clip my black and white horse? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

How often should I bathe and clip my black and white horse?

This is a discussion on How often should I bathe and clip my black and white horse? within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How to bath a black horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-27-2012, 01:05 AM
  #11
Trained
You don't want to be washing too frequently, as said above, you will strip the oils out of the horse's coat.
To prevent sweat bleaching, I always hose or sponge off the sweat after a ride just with water.
Rugging will help hugely to keep his coat clean in between washes and rinses.

In regards to clipping, this is not something that is as regular as grooming or bathing.
I only clip my horses coming into winter, if I plan on working them hard and 5-6 days/week over winter. Clipping take away the horse's insulation in winter, so you need to be extremely mindful of being cautious with your rugging. Invest in a quarter sheet to keep the back, particularly loins, warm when warming up under saddle, and avoid leaving the horse uncovered for long periods in cold weather. Clipping is really a pain in the backside to manage, so I wouldn't clip unless I REALLY had to.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
  #12
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
You don't want to be washing too frequently, as said above, you will strip the oils out of the horse's coat.
To prevent sweat bleaching, I always hose or sponge off the sweat after a ride just with water.
Rugging will help hugely to keep his coat clean in between washes and rinses.

In regards to clipping, this is not something that is as regular as grooming or bathing.
I only clip my horses coming into winter, if I plan on working them hard and 5-6 days/week over winter. Clipping take away the horse's insulation in winter, so you need to be extremely mindful of being cautious with your rugging. Invest in a quarter sheet to keep the back, particularly loins, warm when warming up under saddle, and avoid leaving the horse uncovered for long periods in cold weather. Clipping is really a pain in the backside to manage, so I wouldn't clip unless I REALLY had to.
Ok, and what is rugging?
     
    08-27-2012, 10:18 AM
  #13
Yearling
I believe rugging is just the term for blanketing your horse. :)
     
    08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
  #14
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore    
I believe rugging is just the term for blanketing your horse. :)
Oh, haha ok thanks!!!
     
    08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
  #15
Weanling
Hey be sure to check out my other thread:Honest Critiques on my Equitation
     
    08-27-2012, 08:21 PM
  #16
Trained
Yep, in Australia we call it rugging, putting 'rugs' on our horses. In the US you guys seem to use the term 'blanketing' and 'blankets'. Same thing, different terms ;)
     
    08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
  #17
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayty    
Yep, in Australia we call it rugging, putting 'rugs' on our horses. In the US you guys seem to use the term 'blanketing' and 'blankets'. Same thing, different terms ;)
Thank you!!!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Those who have horses with White in them that and how often you have to bathe nyg052003 Horse Grooming 31 07-28-2011 01:35 PM
Black boot stains on white barreled horse kpptt2001 Horse Grooming 14 01-14-2011 01:25 PM
Horse Manipulation - Black and White Tennessee Horse Artwork 9 05-09-2010 05:04 PM
white or black? Dare2dream ersgirl Horse Grooming 11 02-26-2010 09:22 AM
Black bands w/ black/white mane??? ClassicalRomantic Horse Grooming 3 09-08-2009 11:46 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0