Just Curious...do horses have their good days/bad days? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 609
• Horses: 0
I agree with BarrelracingArabian. I would not let her push you around. You say she is respecting you but she is not. She still lets you know and bullies you into not touching her or cinching her up. You have to realize that she will bite you, she just hasn't had to yet because you have backed off. And she won't feel bad either.

Have someone stand at her head when cinching or brushing. If she even flinches, you need to discipline her. Use a rope halter and get her attention. I can tell you that eventually she will bite you and will continue to bully you. And riding with a loose saddle is extremely dangerous, just because you don't want to upset her and tighten the cinch.
BaileyJo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 105
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyJo View Post
I agree with BarrelracingArabian. I would not let her push you around. You say she is respecting you but she is not. She still lets you know and bullies you into not touching her or cinching her up. You have to realize that she will bite you, she just hasn't had to yet because you have backed off. And she won't feel bad either.

Have someone stand at her head when cinching or brushing. If she even flinches, you need to discipline her. Use a rope halter and get her attention. I can tell you that eventually she will bite you and will continue to bully you. And riding with a loose saddle is extremely dangerous, just because you don't want to upset her and tighten the cinch.
This last time I saddled her...well my husband saddled her...I was inside the pin and she was outside but I had her lead rope...I had a short length on her...just so as he did the cinch...her ears went back but because I held on to her head with a tight grip she couldn't reach over to nip/bite. She did a few switchy of her tail but again couldn't bite...it's kinda like the advice you gave...which worked...can you give me advice on discipling her when she does get away with something...like lets say "she pulls her head up hard" and pulls away from my grip...how do I discpline her for that...methods?


...ask me to show you poetry in motion...and I will show you a horse...
kailiejaykiss is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 339
• Horses: 4
a good way to cinch her up would be to do it gradually before you get on. I have a mare who hates to be cinched and this helps a lot. If I were them I wouldnt want to be strapped up as tight as could be all in one go either. When you put her saddle on, leave it pretty loose at first. Not so much that it will slip over, but just enough to stay on when she walks. Then give her a minute, or even walk her around a bit before tightening it up tighter. Then right before you mount make sure its as tight as you want it. If you give her a little breather between tightening it will not bother her nearly as much, if at all.
kailiejaykiss likes this.
attackships is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,403
• Horses: 1
Just don't "cut her in half" when you tighten the cinch. Adjust it slowly and gradually, and if she's bloating, walk her around as you do the cinch up a little at a time. Be gentle and aware of her sensitivity.

Here are two supplements for mares with good ratings. Read the reviews and do some more research, but these are two very affordable, and apparently effective supplements that might work for your girl!

Mare Magic - Horse Calming Supplements from SmartPak Equine

SmartMare™ Harmony - Horse Calming Supplements from SmartPak Equine
MakeYourMark likes this.

The hills were bathed in moonlight, the shadows not so stark;
Silver light reflected off his brown hide as he held me in the dark
– I love you, Mudpie!
mudpie is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 105
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by attackships View Post
a good way to cinch her up would be to do it gradually before you get on. I have a mare who hates to be cinched and this helps a lot. If I were them I wouldnt want to be strapped up as tight as could be all in one go either. When you put her saddle on, leave it pretty loose at first. Not so much that it will slip over, but just enough to stay on when she walks. Then give her a minute, or even walk her around a bit before tightening it up tighter. Then right before you mount make sure its as tight as you want it. If you give her a little breather between tightening it will not bother her nearly as much, if at all.
That does sound like a good idea...I never rush when saddeling her but I never thought to give her breaks where she walks around and stuff...I can see where she could calm down a bit...I will def. Do that thanks.


...ask me to show you poetry in motion...and I will show you a horse...
kailiejaykiss is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 105
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpie View Post
Just don't "cut her in half" when you tighten the cinch. Adjust it slowly and gradually, and if she's bloating, walk her around as you do the cinch up a little at a time. Be gentle and aware of her sensitivity.

Here are two supplements for mares with good ratings. Read the reviews and do some more research, but these are two very affordable, and apparently effective supplements that might work for your girl!

Mare Magic - Horse Calming Supplements from SmartPak Equine

SmartMare™ Harmony - Horse Calming Supplements from SmartPak Equine
Thanks...I will look into these tonight...whatever I can do to calm her and ease her sensitivity I won't hesistate...I love this girl, lol...and I really want that "feel good" relationship horse and rider need to have and if this will help, I'm allll for it :)


...ask me to show you poetry in motion...and I will show you a horse...
kailiejaykiss is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 411
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kailiejaykiss View Post
Yes I will def ask some of my fellow horse peers at the pins about her being in heat...and I yes once--and only once she has pinned her ears flat as a board and opened her mouth to bite...my husband was saddeling her up...I was going to ask about this in another thread but I think it would be ok to ask here...what are some tips on the "cinching" part because yes I can be light and gentle but I also do want the saddle to stay put...I use a barrel saddle and have been doing barrels with her and breezing her...we do "work" and there's alot of movement...those times I'm light...saddle starts sliding...is there a way or a method or just any advice to a successful cinching up without a horse being nippy??
I'm going to guess she probably bloats up when you cinch her. So I would go with what the above poster mentioned. Cinch her, walk around, cinch her, then get on, and maybe cinch her while on her a little more. But make sure you don't make anything to predictable, or she'll know when to bloat and you'll have the same issue.


mselizabeth is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the Twiggs
Posts: 1,724
• Horses: 3
Um yes!

I would stop feeding her while you groom, grooming is pleasurable enough for allowing them to eat while your leasing with them can lead to issues, she may just not care for you in her space or messing with her while she eats.

Last edited by sierrams1123; 02-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.
sierrams1123 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 16,728
• Horses: 1
Horses are capable of having good and bad days.

It would help you both out if you could get ground work lessons or attend a ground work clinic.

Being told to do something to fix a behavior and doing something because you know how to deal with a behavior are extremely different. Horses can tell when you mean it and when you're just doing it.

"Strength is the ability to use a muscle without tension"
Skyseternalangel is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,515
• Horses: 3
hmmm also get her checked for torn muscles around her belly area. I have just recentaly been reading about it and it seems that it can cause alot of horses discomfort. I would do the opposite as well~
Originally Posted by mselizabeth
Sounds to me like that's part of your problem. I would stay away from her belly as much as possible

just like Barell r arabian said be gentel but work around her belly with her. Maybe don't curry comb her their as most horses hate it as it fells awfull. Try using a mit or something that brushed the hair in the right direction. Also if she goes to bite or kick you growl at her. She is not alowed to do that as it is disrespectful and dangerous. Just a low uhhhhh should do the trick
Can He Star is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How often do your horses get days off from riding? Mickey4793 Horse Riding 14 07-29-2010 03:32 PM
Remember the good 'ol days (photos) Starlet Horse Pictures 4 07-05-2010 07:42 AM
Can horses just have "off" days? madisonfriday Horse Health 11 07-02-2009 03:12 PM
My first 2 days home with my horses! RusticWildFire Horse Pictures 17 03-17-2009 08:31 PM
Two-A-Days BluMagic General Off Topic Discussion 8 08-07-2008 06:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome