Mane Pulling Confusion, please help - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Mane Pulling Confusion, please help

This is a discussion on Mane Pulling Confusion, please help within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Dressage horse pulled tail
  • Plucking pulling horses tails

Like Tree11Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
  #11
Banned
I guess I'm saying wear a rubber glove because I have memories of all the blisters I got from pulling eight manes and eight tails all in one day!!
Cinnys Whinny likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
  #12
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
I guess I'm saying wear a rubber glove because I have memories of all the blisters I got from pulling eight manes and eight tails all in one day!!
Not to high jack Cinnys thread but... can you fill me in on how to pull a tail? I've always been told to just clip it, but that HAS to get itchy so I never did. I would love to know how to pull a tail. I think it just finishes the look so well.
Cinnys Whinny likes this.
     
    04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
  #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBEventer    
Not to high jack Cinnys thread but... can you fill me in on how to pull a tail? I've always been told to just clip it, but that HAS to get itchy so I never did. I would love to know how to pull a tail. I think it just finishes the look so well.
Oh gee, you want a novel? Lol! Essentially you pull the hair out of the dock along the sides, and thin it on top down the middle of the dock. Gee it's hard to explain!! It's a process! The worst thing you can do is pull too much of the middle and top, the sides need to be nice and clean though. It's an eyeball thing! Keep plucking until it looks just right! You DO NEED gloves for tails, the hair is much tougher to pull and when it's those short ones you need gloves to get a hold of them! It pays to make them hot so the hair comes out easier before you do it!

Just to add, you want to be pulling the short hairs out, the ones that make the tail look fuzzy, you will be suprised how most of the hair on most docks is quite short around the sides!
Cinnys Whinny likes this.
     
    04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
  #14
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Oh gee, you want a novel? Lol! Essentially you pull the hair out of the dock along the sides, and thin it on top down the middle of the dock. Gee it's hard to explain!! It's a process! The worst thing you can do is pull too much of the middle and top, the sides need to be nice and clean though. It's an eyeball thing! Keep plucking until it looks just right! You DO NEED gloves for tails, the hair is much tougher to pull and when it's those short ones you need gloves to get a hold of them! It pays to make them hot so the hair comes out easier before you do it!
I think I got it... I will get gloves and give it a shot this weekend. Hopefully I don't kill her poor tail. Thanks!
     
    04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
  #15
Green Broke
I don't mind the inquiry of the tail at all. I "attempted" a tail pull last fall after watching a video on Youtube by a top dressage person who explained "ho to," and poor Cinny is still trying to grow out my mistakes. I have decided from now on to just pull the sides and the "fuzz" at the top and leave the rest alone.

For this Saturday's show he will have a lot of "goop" in the top of his tail and have his tail in a loose neoprene tail wrap between classes to try to keep his tail looking ok. It is a very sad and embarrassing site!

IF it's your first time, my advice is to GO SLOW and keep looking at it. You don't want to make my mistake, it really sucks.
     
    04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
  #16
Weanling
Sorry for another hijack - why would you pull a tail? Doesn't EVERYONE want a long, thick tail?
Cinnys Whinny likes this.
     
    04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
  #17
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl    
sorry for another hijack - why would you pull a tail? Doesn't EVERYONE want a long, thick tail?
You pull it at the top to tidy it up. Like so:



It is more popular with dressage and sport horses.
     
    04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
  #18
Weanling
Ah I see, thanks. Might have to try that with River, the top of her tail is a fuzzball.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is why you we gloves and use a mane pulling comb to pull a mane!! Klassic Superstar Horse Grooming 40 07-09-2014 10:51 PM
Mane and Mane pulling questions winchesterDG Horse Grooming 1 02-17-2013 02:28 PM
pulling mane ididasku Horse Grooming 6 03-24-2010 01:09 AM
Pulling the Mane Gypsy29 Horse Grooming 3 02-25-2008 08:11 PM
Mane pulling? tayahswirl Horse Grooming 6 01-24-2008 12:16 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0