Roached Him! What do you think? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidaloco View Post
Both of those look so good I'm tempted to do Shiloh who has a very thin mane. Do you just use scissors?
The only time I used scissors was when I roached him for the first time, to get rid of the bulk of his mane so I didn't kill the clippers. I clip it to shape it. It takes some practice. I've messed it up and given him a flat top a few times! Mama gave him a real bad haircut. The trick is to work it (the top) gradually with an arc in mind. Even when you do that, it will still look like a flat top. So, then, you go along the outside edge of the mane on either side and slant the clipper to give it a more rounded shape and refinement. I have some pictures that might help...but I don't want to hijack the thread. Let me know if you guys want to see them, and I'll post them!
FlutterByNight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,042
• Horses: 2
I love it but I love roached manes =D LOL.
Lucara is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterByNight View Post
The only time I used scissors was when I roached him for the first time, to get rid of the bulk of his mane so I didn't kill the clippers. I clip it to shape it. It takes some practice. I've messed it up and given him a flat top a few times! Mama gave him a real bad haircut. The trick is to work it (the top) gradually with an arc in mind. Even when you do that, it will still look like a flat top. So, then, you go along the outside edge of the mane on either side and slant the clipper to give it a more rounded shape and refinement. I have some pictures that might help...but I don't want to hijack the thread. Let me know if you guys want to see them, and I'll post them!
If the OP doesn't mind I would like to see them.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
Why does everyone think that if you cut hair it will grow back thicker? A person, a horse, a dog -- whatever -- we all just have so many hair follicles and that's it. Shaving won't increase that number. Same as when we go to the salon and they try to tell us that our hair will grow faster if we keep it trimmed regularly. Not true; hair doesn't "know" if it's been trimmed or not.

Now, if we and our horses were plants -- that'd be different! :)
NorthernMama is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,213
• Horses: 3
Well, I don't know if it's true or not, but it sure as heck seems to me like hair grows in thicker if you shave it. O.O

One man's wrong lead is another man's counter canter.
"Adjust Your Pleasure"
2006 Medicine Hat Paint Gelding
ShannonSevenfold is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,166
• Horses: 5
Ok. I propose an experiment. I'm going to start a new thread about "does roaching make a mane grow in thicker?" Anyone that wants to take part -- go see it. I think I'll post it under grooming.
NorthernMama is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama View Post
Why does everyone think that if you cut hair it will grow back thicker? A person, a horse, a dog -- whatever -- we all just have so many hair follicles and that's it. Shaving won't increase that number. Same as when we go to the salon and they try to tell us that our hair will grow faster if we keep it trimmed regularly. Not true; hair doesn't "know" if it's been trimmed or not.

Now, if we and our horses were plants -- that'd be different! :)
I definitely see your point. I know from when I first started shaving my legs, years and years ago, that the hairs do grow back thicker now and are more resistant to the blade than they were in my youth. I can only go by what my eyes and hands have experienced with my horse; it's certainly not scientific. Anecdotal at best.
FlutterByNight is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 15
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterByNight View Post
I definitely see your point. I know from when I first started shaving my legs, years and years ago, that the hairs do grow back thicker now and are more resistant to the blade than they were in my youth. I can only go by what my eyes and hands have experienced with my horse; it's certainly not scientific. Anecdotal at best.
One more thought...perhaps the quality of the new growth following hogging/roaching is so much better/higher which makes it appear thicker?
FlutterByNight is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,179
• Horses: 4
I like it, but I'm also a long-time advocate of roaching/hogging :]

I use the clippers too. I use old sheep shears to get it as short as I can then use my hand-held clippers to neaten it up, especially because I show.

wild_spot is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 886
• Horses: 16
i just used clippers and clipped it all off, this pic is about 2 weeks after when it grew in a little

and no, go ahead and post pics, i dont mind at all.

i agree that maybe there isnt MORE exactly, but i think the quality is much much better. the hair itself is new so it is thicker strands and stronger. look at your hair on the ends, its thin and dryer than whats at the scalp. "new" hair is stronger and healthier

Last edited by AlmagroN; 08-16-2009 at 08:24 PM.
AlmagroN is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hogged/Roached Manes!!! RacePony007 Horse Grooming 11 10-10-2009 12:18 PM
Roached back while cantering *tears hair out* eventerwannabe Dressage 5 07-27-2009 02:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome