Roached Him! What do you think? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Roached Him! What do you think?

This is a discussion on Roached Him! What do you think? within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
      #21
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlutterByNight    
    I definitely see your point. I know from when I first started shaving my legs, years and years ago, that the hairs do grow back thicker now and are more resistant to the blade than they were in my youth.
    Uh huh -- look at all hair from young people -- it always tends to be finer. That has to do with age, not shaving.

    Quote:
    i agree that maybe there isnt MORE exactly, but I think the quality is much much better. The hair itself is new so it is thicker strands and stronger. Look at your hair on the ends, its thin and dryer than whats at the scalp. "new" hair is stronger and healthier
    Yup, new hair is stronger and healthier, but when it gets as long as the other hair was, you end up with the same result as before. Given that everything else is equal, of course. That's why we are told to keep trimming our hair: because as it gets older, it splits more quickly and can end up splitting faster than the new hair grows in.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-16-2009, 10:29 PM
      #22
    Yearling
    I think it looks great! When it grows out a tad bit, it will look awesome!
         
        08-16-2009, 11:24 PM
      #23
    Yearling
    I like it!
         
        08-16-2009, 11:32 PM
      #24
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NorthernMama    
    Uh huh -- look at all hair from young people -- it always tends to be finer. That has to do with age, not shaving.
    Yes, all of the literature supports what you're stating. Will have to burst that 'fantasy' bubble now that I know, sigh. Oh well...I like it the way it looks on my guy, even if it is an illusion. I think it looks healthier.
         
        08-17-2009, 09:03 AM
      #25
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlutterByNight    
    I think it looks healthier.
    not to mention sexier!!! Gotta love a horses neck
         
        08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
      #26
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlmagroN    
    not to mention sexier!!! Gotta love a horses neck
    Lol, yes, if they have the right neck. I think it's kind of like a guy shaving his head, he probably won't shave it if he has an odd shaped head.
    I love the look once it starts to grow back, it's like a zebra's mane! Very cute.
         
        08-17-2009, 12:50 PM
      #27
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlmagroN    
    not to mention sexier!!! Gotta love a horses neck
    Oh La La, so true. I'm too sexy for my shirt. Too sexy for my... When they do have the neck for it, like your boy, have fun with it!

    I dug up two old pictures.

    This one shows how I angle the clippers (one side at a time) to start working on getting rid of the flat top look. You can see how the part in front I've already done looks more rounded down on the side than the part I hadn't gotten to yet. Back then, I struggled a lot with the flat top look, so this was still early on and more flat than I do now. Practice makes perfect!



    And this one shows how I actually clip down the part over the withers and end the mane line early so I can arch it really nicely. I follow that line to clean it up even more and get more roundness.



    And this is how it came out that day...
         
        08-17-2009, 01:34 PM
      #28
    Showing
    ^^ That is how we used to shape our mules manes. We would start it very short at the withers then arch it and clip it very short at an angle to the bridle path (to prevent that blocked look at the bridle path). It gives them a more arched, full, and muscular appearance more like an old work horse with a cresty neck. Just a more rounded smooth appearance. But we always used the old sheep shears (I still use them to trim bridle paths).

         
        08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
      #29
    Showing
    I like it! I had to roach my Welsh stally's mane because it was all matted...my younger sister was sposed to be grooming him and wasn't. What a surprise. XD. But ya, his mane might even grow in thicker this time, and if you want keep it long! If not, keep it roached. W/e you like best
         
        08-17-2009, 05:50 PM
      #30
    Trained
    Old sheep shears are the best :]

    I roach all mane off, everything I can get. That's how we are meant to do it for the ASH shpw ring, so it's even more important you have a good neck, because you can't compensate by shaping the mane!
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Hogged/Roached Manes!!! RacePony007 Horse Grooming 11 10-10-2009 01:18 PM
    Roached back while cantering *tears hair out* eventerwannabe Dressage 5 07-27-2009 03:06 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0