Is this safe? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
I disagree. I keep halters on both my horses. For the simple reason that they like to escape and are really hard to catch when they do get out. We don't have anything they can get hooked on. My gelding likes to bite and hold on to my mares halter.
I've seen a horse in a 12x12 stall get its halter hung up on a nail and almost hang itself so I doubt that you have nothing for your horses to get hung up on. Your horse can also get its foot through the halter and injur itself like a previous poster mentioned. Rather than leave the halters on as a safety precaution maybe you should teach them to be caught and/or put them inside a fence they can't get out of.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,051
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
I disagree. I keep halters on both my horses. For the simple reason that they like to escape and are really hard to catch when they do get out. We don't have anything they can get hooked on. My gelding likes to bite and hold on to my mares halter.
They could get hung up on the fence they are escaping out of or a tree limb.
churumbeque is offline  
post #13 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 595
• Horses: 4
They could very well be playing; we have a 5-year-old Gelding who does that with the older Appaloosa gelding that's his "brother figure." If the ears are pinned it could be a sign that they're establishing the pecking order.

I also agree that halters in the pasture are dangerous. But, then again, they're dangerous even when the horse is tied. My mare spooked because of a drain hose someone was carrying and pulled back, breaking her halter. When she did so, the clasp under her chin (that rests on her cheek) skinned part of her face. The result was over 30 stitches, two weeks off of working, and a lot of treatment for proud flesh.

Horses should always be monitored with a halter on, and not left to free-pasturing. At the livery we rotate the horses into a pen to eat; they're in here for about 10 minutes and someone is always in the back watching the stalls and pens to make sure that the horses don't get into some sort of mischief.

If you've noticed, when horses play they don't "connect." Our playful geldings will buck up, kick out, and "bite" (just scraping each other with their teeth or lipping at one another), but it's never aggressive -- they don't hurt each other. And when it does hurt, the "victim" is often quite content in telling the "assailant" that it did hurt. Just today I watched my "elderly" gelding, Ben, playing with a younger gelding, Oreo. They "bit" at each other's faces, Oreo would rear up a little bit, and then they'd prance around and kick up a little bit. Then it was like "whatever," and they moved on.

If they're turned out overnight I would make sure to especially take the halters off; as many people have said, they pose a danger to the animal's well-being, which is further founded by Creampuff's story.

Personally, I would say that the most dangerous thing is the halter, not the behavior.

"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative." (H.G. Wells)
| Missile Sweet Studio |
Creampuff is offline  
post #14 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13
• Horses: 1
No halters in the pasture. It is much too dangerous. Horses should be trained so they are easy to catch.
walkerfan is offline  
post #15 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,337
• Horses: 1
There are three mares and two geldings where I keep my horses and they all nip and buck a little at eachother. It's just establishing the pecking order as someone else has said. But it's definitely not just a gelding thing.

I used to leave a halter on one of mares but one day she got it caught on a piece of wood. She didn't get hurt but she ran around all night with a two foot piece of wood strapped to her face until we finally found her the next morning.
Whisper22 is offline  
post #16 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: cumbria UK
Posts: 485
• Horses: 3
Since I can ever remember we have never taken halters off while out to graze. Our horses have never had an accident or got caught due to their halters in 27 years. Each to their own way of doing things.

should i or should i not.........
netty83 is offline  
post #17 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington, USA.
Posts: 6,634
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by netty83 View Post
Since I can ever remember we have never taken halters off while out to graze. Our horses have never had an accident or got caught due to their halters in 27 years. Each to their own way of doing things.
But wouldn't one freak accident change your mind? I imagine most people who have horses who suffered a serious accident from wearing a halter also thought the same thing. And wouldn't you feel pretty bad if something did happen? I wouldn't willingly put my horses at risk like that just because it has never happened before.

The mare I mentioned that broke her neck, she was stuck like that over night before morning feeder found her. And she was in a stall. God knows how long she was suffering. =\

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
riccil0ve is offline  
post #18 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,441
• Horses: 0
If you're going to put them out to pasture with halters, make sure they have a breakable leather crownpiece that will break off if a hoof gets caught in it.
equiniphile is offline  
post #19 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.S
Posts: 172
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile View Post
If you're going to put them out to pasture with halters, make sure they have a breakable leather crownpiece that will break off if a hoof gets caught in it.
Huge Ditto... Even then I don't like putting halters on horses but at shows we have to have them on 24/7. I had a couple that I LOVED because the crownpiece wasn't super thick and was fairly easy to break....
Xela is offline  
post #20 of 79 Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: cumbria UK
Posts: 485
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile View Post
If you're going to put them out to pasture with halters, make sure they have a breakable leather crownpiece that will break off if a hoof gets caught in it.
sorry guys should have added my halters have a crownpiece!

should i or should i not.........
netty83 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is this safe? Go The Distance Horse Grooming 18 01-15-2013 09:32 PM
Is it safe? AppyLuva Trail Riding 8 01-01-2011 06:39 PM
Would this be safe? Bubbles101 Horse Health 8 01-18-2010 08:28 AM
Is it safe to keep 'em together? HollyLolly Horse Breeding 18 01-03-2010 10:29 PM
Would this be safe? CrazyChester Horse Tack and Equipment 25 02-28-2009 01:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome