Now I'm not a Hacky person so I'll share a few of my tips I've picked up. Yes a few of these things are extremely pointless but if you are in a show the judge sadly likes this.
- Spray hairspray on your horses hooves to get them black again from your Blac-It in between your classes.
- Use a towel to wipe over your horse when you've finished grooming to pick up all that excess dirt, dead hair and little bits and pieces. It also brings out oils and gets them really nice and shiny, a sheepskin mitt works too.
- If your horse foams and they just had their brekky ( usually made up of hay ), a good way to get them to froth white instead of green is to feed them a sugar cube or an apple before putting the bridle on.
- Make sure you clean your bit! The judge once left me till last and all she said was, " your bit was dirty "
- Make sure your keepers are up on your bridle , yes I got picked up for this too!
- Make sure not only your horse is clean but you are too! Clothing and boots :)
- If you are putting on make up or hoof oil or anything that can stain wear something on top of your clothes just in case of spillage.
- Plait big and spread out plaits for horses with skinny necks to give the illusion they have a bigger neck . And vice versa for horses with fat, cresty necks.
- Buy one of those instant leather buffer shiny thingos from the shoe store, to quickly buff and leave your tack spotless :)
- Use a toothbrush to get those stirrup treads really white.
- To save time carrying a bucket to and from the tap, bring like an empty water container that you see in offices and buildings, you can buy one from the shops, drink it all yourself and refill it for the shows. That way all you have to do is have an empty bucket and just poor the water into the bucket. Walla! Saved 10 minutes finding and filling up at a tap and your back bringing it back :) You can also have one for yourself if you get thirsty between shows and don't have enought time to go to the canteen.
- Smile for the judge and HAVE FUN don't take it too seriously if you don't get placed. It's always for experience :)
I'm doing this at 12:09 AM so excuse any mistakes haha, I'll be sure to post anything else I can remember. Please share your ideas ! I'd love to add a few new tips to my list.
Posted via Mobile Device