Shave top part of tail
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Shave top part of tail

This is a discussion on Shave top part of tail within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How to shave a horse's tail
  • My horse has short hair at top of tail

Like Tree6Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-04-2012, 05:31 PM
  #1
Weanling
Shave top part of tail

My horse has rubbed the top of her tail and it looks all fuzzy and is too short(just the top part) to braid for the show. Would it be okay to shave part of it? I've heard people have done it before.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
  #2
Trained
Yes of course. Sometimes a shaved neat tail looks better in the showring than a plaited one. The only thing that I would consider is if the horse is a native breed and your showing in the moutain and moorland class then I wouldn't clip it as judges would like to see the horse natural :)
ohmyitschelle likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
  #3
Foal
Can you go to a hair dresser supply store and get same color hair extensions? Just kidding, I couldn't resist!!! Sorry! I joke because lily also rubs so the top of her tail looks like a bad toupe! Lily isn't shown so it really doesn't matter but it sure looks yukky on her. I bought nice scratching mats and put them on the wall, rounded edges to there wouldn't be any hair damage. Has she ever used them.........NOPE. She finds a corner post and backs into it, won't be long before it has no edge and she'll have to find something else and I doubt that something else would be the mats I bought!!!!
     
    08-07-2012, 01:10 AM
  #4
Super Moderator
I see you are in Europe (I think). So, I don't need to get into the old Hunters and tradition thing.

While I have shaved the SIDES of the dock, I try not to touch the top of the dock. And, I much prefer pulling than shaving, personally.



     
    08-07-2012, 01:53 AM
  #5
Weanling
I'm back in Canada for the summer but yeah I'm european Thanks for the tip Allison!
     
    08-07-2012, 05:29 AM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumLove    
My horse has rubbed the top of her tail and it looks all fuzzy and is too short(just the top part) to braid for the show. Would it be okay to shave part of it? I've heard people have done it before.
i used to have the same problem with my old mare. She would rub and rub and rub, trying to get the top of her tail braided was a NIGHTMARE! Then a lady at one of the shows I went to told us about shaving and ever since then she had a lovely tidy, shaved tail. However ,if not done properly, it can look awful so make sure you don't take too much off :)
PintoTess likes this.
     
    08-07-2012, 07:01 AM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
I see you are in Europe (I think). So, I don't need to get into the old Hunters and tradition thing.

While I have shaved the SIDES of the dock, I try not to touch the top of the dock. And, I much prefer pulling than shaving, personally.

How to pull a horse's tail - YouTube


Showing - Tail Pulling - YouTube
I completely agree, pulling is much neater - I pull my horse's tail. You can cheat and use a thinning knife which my sister does, as it doesn't hurt your hands as much but gives a nicer, neater finish than clipping.
     
    08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
  #8
Green Broke
I've seen the shaved tail pretty often among eventers.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-07-2012, 11:24 AM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can He Star    
i used to have the same problem with my old mare. She would rub and rub and rub, trying to get the top of her tail braided was a NIGHTMARE! Then a lady at one of the shows I went to told us about shaving and ever since then she had a lovely tidy, shaved tail. However ,if not done properly, it can look awful so make sure you don't take too much off :)

Do you have any pictures?
     
    08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
  #10
Started
I will try and find some for you :)

I'm not sure if I'm going to shave my new boys tail yet.... he has a nice tail, but braiding takes FOREVER! I'm rushed enough as it is on show days and the shaving is much easier to maintain :P
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse Shave? sarahkgamble Horse Grooming 5 12-30-2011 12:41 PM
Any ideas on Tazz's breed? (part arab, part what?) Heatherloveslottie Horse Breeds 17 06-25-2011 03:57 PM
I had to shave his spot's :( :( luvmyqh Horse Talk 21 03-26-2010 07:55 PM
Braid, band, or shave the whole thing off?! QHDragon Horse Grooming 9 01-28-2010 01:02 PM
Tips/Tricks to popping sorrel after shave? Midwest Paint Horse Grooming 4 06-21-2009 12:19 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0