Shedding and Clipping
I'm sure this is the time of year when there are a lot of questions about these topics, but I wanted to ask again and see what some of you think of a few things...
So this is my first year of horse ownership even though I've been around horses for a very long time. My mare used to live in a stall before I bought and was turned out during the day or night depending on the weather. However, I now keep her outside 24/7 (which she LOVES) and she, of course, grew a much thicker coat to deal with the cold winter months here in upstate NY. She was fine with the cold, I put a blanket on her but never more then a Baker blanket and a heavyweight with a hood and that was at like -15, usually its just the heavyweight with no hood and I let her out naked when it's around 40-45. She's very hardy and a woolly mammoth right now!
Anyway, I know it has not really warmed up too much yet, but a lot of the ponies on her farm are shedding, and have been for a few weeks, but she is not. She isn't shedding in the slightest and she gets very sweaty after our lessons. I'm wondering if the change in her living (being outside 24/7 now, especially overnight when it still gets chilly) is what is keeping her from shedding out. Is there a time by which I should be worried she isn't shedding? When she was stalled she would usually shed out around the same time everyone else did (although I've only owned her since August, I've been riding her since December 2008). Please let me know if you think I should be worried yet!
Also, on the same note, because she is sooo furry, I was considering clipping her. I would probably just do a body clip as in no head or legs since she is still outside all the time. However, my equestrian team coach at my university told me that clipping her this late in the year will absolutely RUIN her coat forever and it will never be the same. Now, I'm aware he is very...opinionated on a lot of things, and I'm sure this is not 100% the case, but I'm wondering if it's a possibility? The vet is coming out to float her teeth next week and if I decide to clip, I will probably try to do it then when she's sedated =P haha (she's been good with clippers in the past but she's healthier and more in shape now and I'd rather be safe then sorry!).
Please let me know what you think! Thanks for the help!