11-02-2010, 12:18 AM
| || |
The tips for sunburn are great; I hadn't thought about using the regular liquid sunblock! I'll have to remember that if I ever get a horse with a white nose. My mare's legs started with one thing (dew poisoning/scratches, according to the vet) and when those bacteria or fungi were destroyed, there was another bacterium, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, that took hold and created the big problems. It was resistant to all the antibacterials and oral antibiotics that we had been using for treating the scratches, so it just went wild. She ended up with cellulitis and lymph problems, had punch biopsies, and a dermatology consult, with IV antiobiotics twice a day throughout December. All that finally stopped the Pseudomonas and the progression of oozy bumps; it wasn't until April that she lost the last scab... The vet says it lives in dirt and most of the time doesn't cause problems, but with her we will always have to be careful in the warm and wet seasons.