Swimming D:
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Swimming D:

This is a discussion on Swimming D: within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree12Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-04-2014, 05:23 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Swimming D:

    My pony swims in the creek in her cover! I go to see her and she covered in dripping wet mud with a soaked cover stinking like a pond. Is there an easy way to fix this without having to fence off the stream? And she's grey too -.-
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    If it's warm enough for her to go in and swim around on her own, then I'd think it's warm enough for her to not need a blanket on anymore. Taking the blanke off would eliminate it getting wet/muddy/stinky. Does she really need it?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-04-2014, 06:05 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustWingIt    
    If it's warm enough for her to go in and swim around on her own, then I'd think it's warm enough for her to not need a blanket on anymore. Taking the blanke off would eliminate it getting wet/muddy/stinky. Does she really need it?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The thing is, it's not warm at all! It's freezing! She just loves water! And she's normally not covered at all but she's had a cold
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-04-2014, 07:32 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Is there any way to partition off the pond?

    That said, having a cold, wet blanket would be worse than having no blanket at all.
         
        05-11-2014, 06:22 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    It seams like having a cold wet blanket is allot worse that having no blanket at all especially when they have a cold!!
         
        05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
      #6
    Showing
    The blanket may be making her too warm, thus she heads for the pond. It takes only a few minutes of sunshine to overheat a horse that's wearing a blanket. Horse's love freezing temperatures. If you don't put a blanket on her she can regulate her body temperature and hair as she needs. The blanket interferes with this.
         
        05-13-2014, 09:43 PM
      #7
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katiepie123    
    The thing is, it's not warm at all! It's freezing! She just loves water! And she's normally not covered at all but she's had a cold
    Posted via Mobile Device
    It's New Zealand. It's NOT freezing. The water is liquid, not frozen. It is NOT freezing. She doesn't need the blanket. Agree with the other posters, having the blanket on is worse for her than no blanket.
         
        05-14-2014, 12:31 AM
      #8
    Foal
    Horses are basically cold weather animals who have much less problems keeping warm than keeping cool. Blanketing really messes up their temperature control system. The equine school at Colorado State University did a study on horses keeping warm. They have 17 levels of warmth they can adjust their hair for if they are just left alone. Two things mess them up. Clipping and blanketing. I ave seen my horses in well below zero F temperatures and not seen them look distressed. Maybe if it was minus 30 or 40F I would worry about them. Minus 20 didn't bother them.
         
        05-14-2014, 02:27 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    As far as I know, new zealand has much the same climate as Ireland. If that's the case, she is fine without a rug. Most horses go without a rug all year. Unless she is a clipped, underweight, thin skinned thoroughbred, -which I highly doubt she is,- she won't need a rug on!
         
        06-09-2014, 02:42 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rideabighorse    
    Horses are basically cold weather animals who have much less problems keeping warm than keeping cool. Blanketing really messes up their temperature control system. The equine school at Colorado State University did a study on horses keeping warm. They have 17 levels of warmth they can adjust their hair for if they are just left alone. Two things mess them up. Clipping and blanketing. I ave seen my horses in well below zero F temperatures and not seen them look distressed. Maybe if it was minus 30 or 40F I would worry about them. Minus 20 didn't bother them.
    My horse must be weird, then, because this past winter it was a lot colder than usual. (Usually the coldest it gets is the lower 30's, upper 20's. This year it was in the teens to single digits.) He would be shivering almost every time I brought him in from the pasture to feed! He wasn't even clipped until February.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Swimming!! xoxosalem Horse Riding 9 04-12-2013 01:15 AM
    Swimming! kac7700 Horse Talk 4 07-04-2012 09:30 PM
    swimming! katieandduke Horse Pictures 16 08-28-2010 06:42 PM
    I went swimming! CecilliaB Horse Talk 1 04-17-2010 04:23 PM
    Swimming- too much! gossipgirl101 Horse Talk 0 08-17-2009 02:38 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0