Tail braiding
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Tail braiding

This is a discussion on Tail braiding within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • YouTube/plaiting horses
  • Plaiting a horse's tail

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-09-2012, 09:15 PM
  #1
Yearling
Tail braiding

I attatched a photo of a tail braid that im supposed to put in for showing.

I have watched countless youtube videos, read books and tried it but I can't for the life of me get it to work.

Does anyone have any tips to make it easy or a way in which I can magically grow the ability to braid Curly's tail?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Braidedtailsmallerfile.jpg (42.4 KB, 332 views)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
  #2
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyIsASpecialStandie    
I attatched a photo of a tail braid that im supposed to put in for showing.

I have watched countless youtube videos, read books and tried it but I can't for the life of me get it to work.

Does anyone have any tips to make it easy or a way in which I can magically grow the ability to braid Curly's tail?

Well its essentially a french braid, ask a friend or relative to let you practice on them. I would take the outside hair on both sides and divide it then take the bulk that is inside the braid and put a ponytail on it to keep it out of your way. Use some horse detangler to keep the part that your braiding from getting all tangled up as you pull the pieces in to braid. Hope it helps
     
    08-09-2012, 09:39 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1313    
Well its essentially a french braid, ask a friend or relative to let you practice on them. I would take the outside hair on both sides and divide it then take the bulk that is inside the braid and put a ponytail on it to keep it out of your way. Use some horse detangler to keep the part that your braiding from getting all tangled up as you pull the pieces in to braid. Hope it helps
The only person I know with relatively long hair is me :P
The pony tail idea sounds good, next time she gets a bath I will try that.

Thanks :)
     
    08-09-2012, 11:42 PM
  #4
Foal
Practice practice practice :) even on yourself, if your hair is long enough. Mine looked so terrible when I first learned how. After a while they will look like the one in the picture
     
    08-10-2012, 05:11 AM
  #5
Started
Just practice.....ALOT!

If you go to this link it shows you how. How to Plait a Horse's Tail: 10 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
Also youtube- how to braid a horses tail and it should help you

One tip I would give you, so that the tail looks nice is to not have heaps thick sections of hair. Just take little bits as big bits make the braid look tacky.

Here are two pics of the same braid but one with small sections and one with large.( the large one is a tad over exagerated) you can guess what one looks smarter and more professional. Even the pic you posted is too thick for my liking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallfrenchtail.jpg (88.1 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg braidedtail.jpg (32.7 KB, 318 views)
     
    08-10-2012, 05:23 AM
  #6
Yearling
Thanks,

The pic I posted is just a google photo,
The smaller looks much much nicer!

Thanks for the video too :)
     
    08-11-2012, 01:29 AM
  #7
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyIsASpecialStandie    
Thanks,

The pic I posted is just a google photo,
The smaller looks much much nicer!

Thanks for the video too :)
welcome! Hope it helps
     
    08-11-2012, 07:02 AM
  #8
Yearling
Aside from practice, could you get some sort of instrument to try at home? I remember when I was a kid learning to braid tails, my Mum gave me a bunch of her old wool. We cut it and bunched it together, secured it and I would practice it over and over. It's nicer on the hands than horse hair too - though it tangles sometimes and you can't use detangler on that, haha!

Good luck!
     
    08-11-2012, 07:06 AM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle    
Aside from practice, could you get some sort of instrument to try at home? I remember when I was a kid learning to braid tails, my Mum gave me a bunch of her old wool. We cut it and bunched it together, secured it and I would practice it over and over. It's nicer on the hands than horse hair too - though it tangles sometimes and you can't use detangler on that, haha!

Good luck!
Thats a good idea, we have tons of wool and string.
     
    08-11-2012, 09:24 PM
  #10
Foal
Definitely keep practicing once you got the top part of the tail braided down the rest of the braiding becomes very easy!
ohmyitschelle and Cinder like this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter tail braiding/bagging Lexiie Horse Grooming 3 11-15-2011 09:40 PM
Tail Braiding Southern Belle Horse Grooming 4 11-04-2011 06:51 AM
Tail Braiding? Help!! xXHorseFreakXx Horse Grooming 4 02-01-2011 12:28 PM
Tail braiding HELP! angelsgrace Horse Grooming 4 07-05-2009 11:04 PM
braiding tail with ribbon? free_sprtd Horse Grooming 20 07-01-2009 03:30 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0