Thrush Treatment Questions
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Thrush Treatment Questions

This is a discussion on Thrush Treatment Questions within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Coppertox thrush
  • Thrush coppertox

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
  #1
Banned
Thrush Treatment Questions

Hello!

Okay, I admit, I feel a little silly, asking a question like this, after being in the biz for years -- riding since I was two! Anyway...

Sadly, my dear Nory has thrush... I don't know how she got it, but that isn't quite what this post is about. I've totally forgotten two things:

One, Diluted Milton's Solution (DMS) uses one part bleach for... how many parts water? I want to say five or ten, but I really don't know. Anyone?

Two, I know you are supposed to scrub the hoof, then spray DMS once a day for a week or so. Does this mean I scrub the hoof with the DMS itself?

Thanks in advance,

A very embarrassed Maggie
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
  #2
Showing
I don't know if this is right or not but most disinfecting mixes are 10 to one.

Adding- you might try scrubbing it out with some peroxide too. Keeping air on it is the best cure.
     
    08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
  #3
Banned
Oh, thank you, Vidaloco!

It helps much.

Maggie (and Nory, I'm sure!)
     
    08-08-2008, 09:21 PM
  #4
Green Broke
My horse has a severe case of Trush and I have to treat it everyday. Sometimes I use straight bleach on his feet, other times I use Thrush Buster. Its extremely potient and works very well.
     
    08-09-2008, 11:10 AM
  #5
Green Broke
I haven't tried bleach (although I did hear that works) but when our horses get thrush I clean their feet every day and squirt a little CopperTox on them. Clears it right up!
     
    08-09-2008, 12:02 PM
  #6
Banned
Thrush Buster and CopperTox, eh? I'll have to check those out.

Thanks!

Maggie
     
    08-09-2008, 03:50 PM
  #7
Started
I soak with ACV/water for most hoof problems, sometimes I use Hydrogen Peroxide. If I feel they need a bit more oomph I will make a poltice of betadine scrub and epsom salts and leave it on for a day at a time.

Never put straight bleach on skin or a hoof. Very very harmful and drying.
     
    08-10-2008, 09:54 AM
  #8
Showing
AC vinagar is the best stuff for so many things. I keep a spray bottle full in my tack bucket. When the weather has been wet I just give each hoof a spray as a preventative and then spray the body as a bug repellent for the horse and me.
     
    08-10-2008, 01:23 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Yes I know bleach can be harmful. But it works very well, it has helped my horses thrush tremendously. It dries it out yes, but I use hooflex or rainmaker to help with that. I use Trush Buster, it found it works alot alot better then Coppertox
     
    08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
  #10
Foal
Bleach and - believe it or not - Thrush Buster can both be harmful. The best stuff is called Thrush OFF. It is all natural and not only does it get rid of the Thrush, it helps heal the foot, unlike Thrush Buster, which can be harmful if used too much. Go to
http://gallopinggrape.com/thrushoff.aspx
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0