Training a Horse to Keep the Stall Cleaner?
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

Training a Horse to Keep the Stall Cleaner?

This is a discussion on Training a Horse to Keep the Stall Cleaner? within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree2Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Training a Horse to Keep the Stall Cleaner?

    I have three horses, all Standardbreds in which we used to race. Now they're just recreational horses. Two of them are really clean, the 15 year old mare (mother of the two others) and our 8 year old gelding. They only take about 5 minutes to clean their stalls. But our youngest 5 year old mare is a real pig. My dad has even mentioned that a pig would actually be cleaner then her. She takes around 10-15 minutes to clean.

    Is there any tips on maybe training her to be cleaner in the stall? We don't know why she is so messy. It seams to me that she spends her whole night messing up the stall!

    -Evan
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-28-2012, 12:25 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Hahaha horses eat hay off poop, roll in mud and enjoying sleeping in poo piles, why on earth do you think they will keep a stall clean?!

    Be thankful only one is messy instead of all three.
    Speed Racer and FaydesMom like this.
         
        12-28-2012, 12:35 PM
      #3
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evan    
    Is there any tips on maybe training her to be cleaner in the stall?
    No. They're either piggy or not.
         
        12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
      #4
    Green Broke
    15 minutes isn't much. I've come across horses whose stalls had to be stripped daily because they made such a mess.

    But to answer your question...no.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
      #5
    Yearling
    Lol if you figure out how let me know!
    All I can think is maybe some of its boredom, so maybe put out some of those lik it things that you can hang in her stall. Maybe it will keep her slightly occupied and not thinking on how to get it to take longer then 15 mins to clean her stall? Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-28-2012, 01:21 PM
      #6
    Trained
    I don't think there is a way to train them to be cleaner. Some of them are just messy. :) My mule is neat and goes in the corner, but the paint that I have poops everywhere. :)
         
        12-28-2012, 02:38 PM
      #7
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
    15 minutes isn't much. I've come across horses whose stalls had to be stripped daily because they made such a mess.

    But to answer your question...no.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Well it depends on what you use for bedding. I know straw can take a LONG time. We use shavings.

    I actually think the only way to train them to keep clean was when we were racing them. They seamed to be to tired to make a mess after racing...
         
        12-28-2012, 02:48 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    I know a guy who taught his horse to pee in a bucket. He just stood there for hours with a bucket under his gelding til it pee'd, then gave him treats and lovins and his dinner. Says it takes like six months of doing it daily.

    I've also read that if you take an old tire, and put it in the corner of your stall with a different horses poop in it they will poop on top of it and eventually learn to poo in that corner. Not sure if it works, but its an interesting theory. Just some interesting incidences.
         
        12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
      #9
    Trained
    I wonder if that tire idea would work.
         
        12-28-2012, 03:53 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnalisaParalyzer    
    i know a guy who taught his horse to pee in a bucket. He just stood there for hours with a bucket under his gelding til it pee'd, then gave him treats and lovins and his dinner. Says it takes like six months of doing it daily.

    I've also read that if you take an old tire, and put it in the corner of your stall with a different horses poop in it they will poop on top of it and eventually learn to poo in that corner. Not sure if it works, but its an interesting theory. Just some interesting incidences.
    I might have to try the tire idea!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Excaliber sheath cleaner? Jore Horse Grooming 10 07-28-2012 08:44 PM
    Leather cleaner or oil? Cmurdock57 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 05-30-2012 01:29 PM
    best tack cleaner CowgirlsR4Ever300 Horse Tack and Equipment 3 05-30-2011 04:11 PM
    some cleaner pic of billy lokis mommy Horse Pictures 5 02-18-2011 02:30 PM
    Favorite Leather Cleaner? catandminot Horse Tack and Equipment 5 08-22-2010 10:05 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0