What do you do to fix and prevent sun bleached tails? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

What do you do to fix and prevent sun bleached tails?

This is a discussion on What do you do to fix and prevent sun bleached tails? within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How to bleach horse hair using salon bleach
  • Is show pony colour henna

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-13-2011, 10:16 PM
  #21
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze    
Your kidding right......I assume you guys are buying pharmacy brand color too...

OK here we go, Do NOT dye your horses mane tail forelock etc.... with human hair dye ESPECIALLY BLEACH! Yeah yeah yeah it's on the shelf people use it to dye thier hair how bad can it be right? Ever see those old ladies with patchy, balding, straw like hair? Or the middle aged ladies with greenish tinted, balding, and or straw like hair? That's what you get from using pharmacy brand colors.

The hair dyes sold in a pharmacy have 3 to 5 times the amonia content and 2 to 3 times the peroxide content then salon brand colors. So your oh so inoccuous black instead of it being a 10 or MAX 20 volume is probably a 30 volume peroxide with triple the amonia content and that ladies = nasty hair. If you insist on buying hair dye, go to your locoal bio store, and buy ALL NATURAL hair dye or better yet, invest in a sheet or keep your horse stabled during the day and out at night.

This reply to all your posts is not intended to sound rude, it is meant to educate. Color is a chemical and should not be used by people with no training, as to the side effects that pharmacy brand color, ANY form of a color process can cause they are indeed numerous.

Going to the salon and getting your color done by a professional colorist is expensive for a reason girls, that 10-15 dollar box of hooey is cheap for a reason
I wasn't planning on buying pharmacy dyes, I'm well aware of what they are like and wouldn't even use them on my hair.. And if I wont use a human product on me then theres no way I would use it on my horse.
Plus, I don't want to bleach his tail, I want to make it dark again, I don't need to bleach it.
Any hair dye I have ever bought (for my hair) has always been from a supermarket or a hairdressers, and I always read the contents and amounts etc before I walk off to the counter.
To be honest, no I haven't ever seen ladies with hair like that, not in real life here anyway, so either the hair dye here is different, or they must be doing something different with it.

I'm planning on buying a summer cover with a big "tent-style" tail flap, and if I had a stable then sure I would stable him, but I don't have that luxury just yet (dad has been talking about building one recently though, when the money comes in)

Thankyou for that info though, now that has just confirmed that I will never buy hair dye from a pharmacy sadly we don't have "all natural" stores here, but I can find hair dye that comes close to it, and I won't be buying any old hair dye I can find, I'll be looking at those labels very carefully, and only leaving the dye in for a very very short amount of time.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
  #22
Weanling
No idea if it was me or not.

Yay for you, you invested in 3$ hair dye, I invested over 15k in a course/es that taught/teach me all about color and what the reactions are that can occur etc... and I will keep taking courses on my profession. You can keep buying your 3$ hair dye, if it's amonia free it is a semi permanent and washes out, does not cover grey and probably has monoethanolamine (which is amonia but a softer form of it, it's still amonia). I was trying to educate people on why it is bad, your flippancy toward coloring in general is slightly agravating. I am glad her tail is soft and shiny, did you by any chance at all PH balance her tail/skin after applying and shampooing out the color? Do you know why it takes 10 min or more at the sink in a salon when doing a color process? Not because we like sore backs I can assure you.

Every time you apply anything chemical to any part of the skin or hair there is a reaction, even if you can't see it with the naked eye, now if that reaction is so minute that NOTHING happens, kudos to you, what would you do if all her hair fell out and it looked like she had a sever burning, bubbling rash where you had applied the color? Call your vet because of a 3$ oopsy. Where on the box does it say safe to use on animals?

Ignorance is not bliss as so many people think, color, bleach etc.. can cause sever allergic reaction, burns and scarring when used incorrectly. Even salon brand color when used incorrectly can cause reactions. (obviously lol.)

I don't care if after reading my wall-o-text you still decide to try your hand at dyeing your horse, at least you have been forwarned, and as the say forwarned is forearmed! This is not intended to be a rant, I hold courses once a year at my salon for folks that are not trained in my field but don't have the funds to go to the salon every 3-6 weeks for maintenace, my aim for everyone is that they know how and what they are using and what they can use that is safe and easy for them at home at a fraction of the salon cost.
     
    08-13-2011, 11:12 PM
  #23
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze    
No idea if it was me or not.

Yay for you, you invested in 3$ hair dye, I invested over 15k in a course/es that taught/teach me all about color and what the reactions are that can occur etc... and I will keep taking courses on my profession. You can keep buying your 3$ hair dye, if it's amonia free it is a semi permanent and washes out, does not cover grey and probably has monoethanolamine (which is amonia but a softer form of it, it's still amonia). I was trying to educate people on why it is bad, your flippancy toward coloring in general is slightly agravating. I am glad her tail is soft and shiny, did you by any chance at all PH balance her tail/skin after applying and shampooing out the color? Do you know why it takes 10 min or more at the sink in a salon when doing a color process? Not because we like sore backs I can assure you.

Every time you apply anything chemical to any part of the skin or hair there is a reaction, even if you can't see it with the naked eye, now if that reaction is so minute that NOTHING happens, kudos to you, what would you do if all her hair fell out and it looked like she had a sever burning, bubbling rash where you had applied the color? Call your vet because of a 3$ oopsy. Where on the box does it say safe to use on animals?

Ignorance is not bliss as so many people think, color, bleach etc.. can cause sever allergic reaction, burns and scarring when used incorrectly. Even salon brand color when used incorrectly can cause reactions. (obviously lol.)

I don't care if after reading my wall-o-text you still decide to try your hand at dyeing your horse, at least you have been forwarned, and as the say forwarned is forearmed! This is not intended to be a rant, I hold courses once a year at my salon for folks that are not trained in my field but don't have the funds to go to the salon every 3-6 weeks for maintenace, my aim for everyone is that they know how and what they are using and what they can use that is safe and easy for them at home at a fraction of the salon cost.
I've never even seen $3 hair dye over here, that to me is quite suprising :)
What do you mean by PH balance her skin/tail? (would like to know as much as possible before I confirm my want to buy dye, if my want to buy it is changed then i'm just going to have to wait it out and chop off the bleached bits, darn. But I don't want to hurt my horse)

With the reaction, to me that always seemed obvious, correct me if i'm wrong, but if there was no reaction then the dye would not dye the hair? That in itself is a reaction is it not? And I'm definitely going to shop around and see if I can find any natural hair dyes now, but even if it is a natural one that I find, would I be right in still doing a patch test?

Whether anybody else see's it as a rant is their problem, I see it as valuble information, and I am quite glad that you have replied to this thread. I will still look into the hair dyes, but I'm going to be looking in places that most people wouldn't, and come to think of it.. We actually do have a natural products store in town, so that will be the first place I stop at.
     
    08-14-2011, 01:01 AM
  #24
Weanling
When your restoring the PH to the skin, what your doing is "rebalancing" the lvl of moisture, sealing the hair cuticle, and restoring smoothness to the hair shaft. Your putting back and balancing what the chemical process removed. (oh and always do your "final" rinse with cool water. That seals up the cuticles beautifully and makes your hair VERY shiny.)

Your best bet is to either go to a "naturist" store, ask one of the clerks there what you could use, tell them what it's for, and what shampoo is best to restore the hair and skin. Or buy your stuff from a reputable hair salon (but that could get pricey) There is also Henna color, no idea if that is safe or not, I do know that it has advanced by leaps and bounds in the past 5 years. "Real" color and henna do not mix lol, you get either fushia or green when those two come into contact with each other. (REALLY funny to see, I saw it done on a mannequin.)

Reactions to color can vary, and it's usually a combination of, heat and amonia, heat and peroxide, peroxide content too high on a sensitive scalp, medication the client is taking, I could go on and on lol. Sometimes it's a light "rash", itching towards the back of the head lower neck hairline area, to blisters, bubbling, and yup burning/peeling hair loss.

When doing a color process make sure your in a well ventilated cool area, do not sit in the sun, or if it's your horse, keep him/her in the shade, heat makes it work harder and faster I.e more chance of something going wrong. And yes by all means ALWAYS do a patch test, but do not mix the whole "box" or whatever you'll be using and store it, make sure you mix in equal amounts of 1 ounce color 1 ounce developer for a patch test. Please use a scale to get exact weight I still use one and i've been at this for a loooooong time lmao.

I'm not against color, i'm a colorist for heavens sake lol, what I hate is ignorance and self imposed ignorance. I'm glad your taking note of the info, and don't hesitate to ask questions no matter how inane you might think they are. Now when youll be ready to do a color change at your local hair salon maybe you can teach those hairdressers a thing or two, oh and always ask the stylist doing your hair if she's a certified haircolor technician before she starts the job, there is usually one or two techs on staff at every salon.
     
    08-14-2011, 01:49 AM
  #25
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze    
When your restoring the PH to the skin, what your doing is "rebalancing" the lvl of moisture, sealing the hair cuticle, and restoring smoothness to the hair shaft. Your putting back and balancing what the chemical process removed. (oh and always do your "final" rinse with cool water. That seals up the cuticles beautifully and makes your hair VERY shiny.)

Your best bet is to either go to a "naturist" store, ask one of the clerks there what you could use, tell them what it's for, and what shampoo is best to restore the hair and skin. Or buy your stuff from a reputable hair salon (but that could get pricey) There is also Henna color, no idea if that is safe or not, I do know that it has advanced by leaps and bounds in the past 5 years. "Real" color and henna do not mix lol, you get either fushia or green when those two come into contact with each other. (REALLY funny to see, I saw it done on a mannequin.)

Reactions to color can vary, and it's usually a combination of, heat and amonia, heat and peroxide, peroxide content too high on a sensitive scalp, medication the client is taking, I could go on and on lol. Sometimes it's a light "rash", itching towards the back of the head lower neck hairline area, to blisters, bubbling, and yup burning/peeling hair loss.

When doing a color process make sure your in a well ventilated cool area, do not sit in the sun, or if it's your horse, keep him/her in the shade, heat makes it work harder and faster I.e more chance of something going wrong. And yes by all means ALWAYS do a patch test, but do not mix the whole "box" or whatever you'll be using and store it, make sure you mix in equal amounts of 1 ounce color 1 ounce developer for a patch test. Please use a scale to get exact weight I still use one and i've been at this for a loooooong time lmao.

I'm not against color, i'm a colorist for heavens sake lol, what I hate is ignorance and self imposed ignorance. I'm glad your taking note of the info, and don't hesitate to ask questions no matter how inane you might think they are. Now when youll be ready to do a color change at your local hair salon maybe you can teach those hairdressers a thing or two, oh and always ask the stylist doing your hair if she's a certified haircolor technician before she starts the job, there is usually one or two techs on staff at every salon.
Ahh this makes a lot of sense, thank you for that.

I know of one naturist store I can go to, and they've already helped me with a number of issues on myself, so I'm guessing they can help me with this too.

Cowshed here I come seeing as I don't have a big barn or anything, and the cowshed is pretty much one wall and a roof, plus lots of steel bars, so its really well ventilated.
Thanks for that tip, I will make sure to use a scale... that's one thing I'm not going to use my "guesstimation" skills on

When it comes to things like this, I would far rather learn about it the easy way as opposed to doing something wrong and potentially hurting my horse.
     
    08-14-2011, 05:58 AM
  #26
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze    
No idea if it was me or not.

Yay for you, you invested in 3$ hair dye, I invested over 15k in a course/es that taught/teach me all about color and what the reactions are that can occur etc... and I will keep taking courses on my profession. You can keep buying your 3$ hair dye, if it's amonia free it is a semi permanent and washes out, does not cover grey and probably has monoethanolamine (which is amonia but a softer form of it, it's still amonia). I was trying to educate people on why it is bad, your flippancy toward coloring in general is slightly agravating. I am glad her tail is soft and shiny, did you by any chance at all PH balance her tail/skin after applying and shampooing out the color? Do you know why it takes 10 min or more at the sink in a salon when doing a color process? Not because we like sore backs I can assure you.

Every time you apply anything chemical to any part of the skin or hair there is a reaction, even if you can't see it with the naked eye, now if that reaction is so minute that NOTHING happens, kudos to you, what would you do if all her hair fell out and it looked like she had a sever burning, bubbling rash where you had applied the color? Call your vet because of a 3$ oopsy. Where on the box does it say safe to use on animals?

Ignorance is not bliss as so many people think, color, bleach etc.. can cause sever allergic reaction, burns and scarring when used incorrectly. Even salon brand color when used incorrectly can cause reactions. (obviously lol.)

I don't care if after reading my wall-o-text you still decide to try your hand at dyeing your horse, at least you have been forwarned, and as the say forwarned is forearmed! This is not intended to be a rant, I hold courses once a year at my salon for folks that are not trained in my field but don't have the funds to go to the salon every 3-6 weeks for maintenace, my aim for everyone is that they know how and what they are using and what they can use that is safe and easy for them at home at a fraction of the salon cost.
It was definitely you, I recognize it from your post above :) anyway, that "$3 crap" worked fine, no ill effects, trying to share my opinion as are you and of course no one wants to be made to feel like they're not being cautious or concerned with their horse. I very much understand the risks that come with coloring with anything, but in my case there were no adverse effects and I've known many people with my same experience too. In fact, never heard of anyone having something bad happen to their horse because of it.

Does that mean it's foolproof and nothing can ever happen? Of course not, but then again my horse breaks out in lumps all over if you feed her molasses, she's allergic. I don't know many other horss with that allergy so I'm not going to warn everyone to stay away from molasses, but for me personally it just doesn't work for my mare.

So anyway, to the OP, glad you're getting a lot of info here from multiple people, just remember to take everything you read with a grain of salt. Glad you are being thorough in your research, most wouldn't. I'm not sure what the difference is between "pharmacy" and supermarket/walmart color, but I know that I do use semi permanent since it's ammonia free. Yes it will wash out eventually but I like that option and my hair stylist who I've been going to for color and highlights for over 10 yrs now sees no problems with it (she has over 20 yrs experience at some very high end salons too so she also knows what she's doing).

If you're worried about an allergic reaction, by all means do a patch test but typically since I'm just dyeing the sun bleached area, I'm only putting it on the top part of her tail and not on her skin. A little gets through to her dock I'm sure but not much. I once used that Feria foam stuff, little more expensive but was easier to control where the dye went so not as messy.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-14-2011, 06:21 AM
  #27
Trained
You can buy dye here in Aus specifically for horses - Horse show colour or Show pony colour.

Maybe you have something similar over there?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    08-14-2011, 04:23 PM
  #28
Started
We may have something like that over here, but if it is then its hiding pretty well as I havent found it yet
     
    08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
  #29
Foal
My friend personally use dye on her horses tails as do i
     
    08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
  #30
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot    
You can buy dye here in Aus specifically for horses - Horse show colour or Show pony colour.

Maybe you have something similar over there?
Posted via Mobile Device
Never heard of anyone that uses horse specific hair dye here, "yet". I've actually been thinking of "making" horse friendly hair dye, and it seems alot of people have the tail bleaching issue. Sommething to seriously look into
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bleached Coat Question HorsesAreMyLife33 Horse Grooming 9 07-26-2011 09:00 PM
Dark Bay or Sun Bleached? AngieLee Horse Colors and Genetics 2 04-25-2011 11:15 PM
bleached tail on bay horse fix? cosmomomo Horse Grooming 9 11-29-2010 03:57 PM
Buckskin with Black Main and Tail ... Bleached Velvetgrace Horse Grooming 2 04-08-2010 01:14 PM
Horse sunscreen??? sun bleached... HorsesAreForever Horse Grooming 17 05-13-2008 07:13 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0