What do you think of MTG?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

What do you think of MTG?

This is a discussion on What do you think of MTG? within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree4Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-23-2013, 01:54 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Question What do you think of MTG?

    I recently just bought this bottle of MTG at my local feed store, thought it was quite interesting on what it says it can do. Over the summer I had to take off at least three ticks of my horses tail. I used the MTG on his tail and I haven't seen a tick since. I thought that was pretty cool :) Now what I was wondering is, does it actually for for mane and tail growing? My horse is having a tough time growing his mane out for years , it's so thin. Do any of you have any great experiences with MTG for mane and tail growth?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-23-2013, 02:13 PM
      #2
    Weanling
    Well since my horse unfortunately relapsed with Scratches and rain rot, I've been using MTG on his back and legs, and also in his mane and tail just cause his manes been a little sparse and im trying to grow it. I have noticed such a difference! In about 3 weeks, it seems thicker, and there is at least one inch of new growth that I've seen. The hair on his legs even seems thicker and longer. Even when his scratches and rain rot are gone, I will keep a bottle on hand.
    AQHAwindrunner likes this.
         
        12-23-2013, 02:20 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oliveren15    
    Well since my horse unfortunately relapsed with Scratches and rain rot, I've been using MTG on his back and legs, and also in his mane and tail just cause his manes been a little sparse and im trying to grow it. I have noticed such a difference! In about 3 weeks, it seems thicker, and there is at least one inch of new growth that I've seen. The hair on his legs even seems thicker and longer. Even when his scratches and rain rot are gone, I will keep a bottle on hand.
    Do you happen to have pictures? I would love to see it
         
        12-23-2013, 02:38 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    I can take some tonight.
    AQHAwindrunner likes this.
         
        12-23-2013, 02:55 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Although, I can't stand the smell of MTG, I have had good results with it. My mare pulled a big chunk of her mane out somehow and it seemed to help it grow a little faster and thicker. It certainly looked healthier.
         
        12-23-2013, 02:57 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Yeah I noticed it smelled like bacon to me haha, So how often do you put it on the mane and tail? And do you have to put it on the tip of the mane and tail or into the roots? Probably the roots but I was just wondering.
         
        12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
      #7
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AQHAwindrunner    
    Yeah I noticed it smelled like bacon to me haha, So how often do you put it on the mane and tail? And do you have to put it on the tip of the mane and tail or into the roots? Probably the roots but I was just wondering.
    I put it on the roots and any excess that ran down I would rub it in the whole mane. If I remember correctly, I applied it 2 times a week.
         
        12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
      #8
    Teen Forum Moderator
    I used it when my filly was bitten and the hair was absolutely NOT growing back. It had been three weeks since it had happened with no hair growth. I started using MTG on it, and a week later the hair was over 50% grown back so I'm definitely a fan! I didn't use it on her mane and tail though since they were already full. I did use it just as a 'last resort' not thinking it would help, with some serious dandruff (as in the entire neck looked like it was snowing and felt scaly) and no joke, it cleared it up 100% in a week. It had to be re-applied once a week though to keep her skin soft.

    The only think I did not like about it was how greasy it makes the fur/base of mane look and feel. It has to be washed out, not brushed out, to go away completely BUT it doesn't have to be washed out before reapplication, so if you don't mind greasy looking mane occasionally its fine!

    the hairless bite immediately after I discovered it:


    the hair loss from bites/rubbing against things three weeks after it happened...STILL almost hairless O_O


    about a week after applying the MTG three times (granted I used a lot...LOL) sorry, she's a little dirty but as you can see, hair growth!





    This is how greasy it looks after application though. (I put it on her WHOLE neck) Yuck.


    pardon her ribbiness, she had to be stalled for a month (long story) and after coming from a 24/7 turn out, she took it pretty hard and lost some weight.
         
        12-23-2013, 03:05 PM
      #9
    Started
    My Belgian arrived with disgusting scratches- I clipped him to the skin and lathered him in MTG daily/every other day for weeks, every so often I'd wash it down, dry it thoroughly before applying more.
    It DID cause the hair to grow exceptionally quickly, He had a good inch in a week or so, and very dense, solid feathers. It did make his hair very yellow, even after thorough washing.
    It DID NOT fix the scratches. The fungus was still there after a few weeks, quickly his hair grew back so dense I had to clip again. I found "Wound Wonder" cream was the only thing that cured the fungus (it's prescription and expensive but it only took 1 large bottle and 1 week to leave him clean for the first time in 10 years)
    AQHAwindrunner likes this.
         
        12-23-2013, 03:15 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endiku    
    I used it when my filly was bitten and the hair was absolutely NOT growing back. It had been three weeks since it had happened with no hair growth. I started using MTG on it, and a week later the hair was over 50% grown back so I'm definitely a fan! I didn't use it on her mane and tail though since they were already full. I did use it just as a 'last resort' not thinking it would help, with some serious dandruff (as in the entire neck looked like it was snowing and felt scaly) and no joke, it cleared it up 100% in a week. It had to be re-applied once a week though to keep her skin soft.

    The only think I did not like about it was how greasy it makes the fur/base of mane look and feel. It has to be washed out, not brushed out, to go away completely BUT it doesn't have to be washed out before reapplication, so if you don't mind greasy looking mane occasionally its fine!

    the hairless bite immediately after I discovered it:


    the hair loss from bites/rubbing against things three weeks after it happened...STILL almost hairless O_O


    about a week after applying the MTG three times (granted I used a lot...LOL) sorry, she's a little dirty but as you can see, hair growth!





    This is how greasy it looks after application though. (I put it on her WHOLE neck) Yuck.


    pardon her ribbiness, she had to be stalled for a month (long story) and after coming from a 24/7 turn out, she took it pretty hard and lost some weight.
    Thank You for the reply! And I think your horse is just stunning, despite the ribs showing, but I don't care about looks! As long as I know people treat their horses right, I'm cool with it :) Is she doing better now Now for the dandruff comment, I noticed that my horse has his most dandruff on his neck, mane and tail oh and his rump. Does it really get rid of it? And how did you apply it on? Did you use a cloth or something?
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Mtg.. JavaLover Horse Grooming 29 04-26-2010 11:20 PM
    mtg socks Horse Grooming 8 01-07-2010 06:29 PM
    Mtg!!!!! RacePony007 Horse Grooming 4 07-20-2009 04:24 PM
    Mtg OnlySamwise Horse Grooming 9 05-31-2009 03:32 AM
    What is MTG? Rashashea Horse Grooming 4 02-27-2009 10:31 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0