What to Look For - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Grooming

What to Look For

This is a discussion on What to Look For within the Horse Grooming forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
      #11
    Started
    Very good points made by the above poster.
    But assuming that you are certain that you can get a horse, again, be sure that you bring a trainer that knows your skills because they will know what you can and can't handle.

    My rescue was never abused, just neglected. He was thrown into a pasture with too many more aggressive horses and being a hard-to-keep TB he just didn't do well, and the horse dealer that had him was too busy with her millions of other horses to notice. =/
    Come selling time she had an underweight, ratty-looking, filthy, wormy thing to try to pass off to someone else. She was too busy to even try to clean the poor thing up. They were both lucky I came along.
    But he has a wonderful mind. He was a bit off for awhile when I brought him home just because he was so unhealthy, but pretty quickly he came out of his shell and it's pretty clear that he's never been really physically mistreated by anybody.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
      #12
    Weanling
    Thanks? I didnt plan on buying a greene horse. I plan on buying a 10 to 15 year old horse experienced on trails. I know how dangorous horses are but you have to take chances with the things you love right? But thanks
         
        01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
      #13
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lovehorsesandrunning    
    Thanks? I didnt plan on buying a greene horse. I plan on buying a 10 to 15 year old horse experienced on trails.
    So then why go with a rescue? Even just the ones who have been surrendered by owners for lack of funds often have so much baggage that come with them. Feeling sorry for them is not a legitimate reason to limit yourself to the "rescue horse" category, nor is not wanting to spend a lot of money. Usually the less money you spend on a horse, the more difficult and time-consuming its going to be to get where you want to be, riding wise.

    If you want a 10-15 year old horse, that's PERFECT, that's the age where they've gotten all of their baby brains out, but they can still be molded to a certain extent. Widen your search criteria, when you go out looking at a prospect just have in mind "trail horse" if that's what you're looking for.....don't think of breed or gender or how much they cost, because you never know what may come along.
         
        01-24-2010, 09:54 PM
      #14
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justsambam08    
    If you want a 10-15 year old horse, that's PERFECT, that's the age where they've gotten all of their baby brains out, but they can still be molded to a certain extent. Widen your search criteria, when you go out looking at a prospect just have in mind "trail horse" if that's what you're looking for.....don't think of breed or gender or how much they cost, because you never know what may come along.
    good advice here :)
         
        01-24-2010, 11:06 PM
      #15
    Started
    If you are interested in a rescue, you should look at the available horses at Saddlebred Rescue Inc. The horses at Saddlebred Rescue are worked regularly, trained, used in lesson programs, often are broke to drive, and they will tell you anything about him. They are tested, tried, and evaluated thoroughly. I would have no hesitation at taking the word of SBR.

    Just glancing through their available horses ( Saddlebred Rescue Angel Network - An American Saddlebred Rescue Tale ), I would look at Power Ranger, Princess Fiona sounds sweet, Rosie is just lovely, and there are quite a few others that would be nice to have.

    What is great is many of the SBR supporters will help arrange the most economical shipping for those adopters who need it.
         
        01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    You posted a picture of a seven year-old emaciated thoroughbred and called it "your baby" and that you really wanted it. So obviously when you say you want that sort of horse, I'm going to formulate my reply based a the little amount of facts that I've been given.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lovehorsesandrunning    
    Thanks? I didnt plan on buying a greene horse. I plan on buying a 10 to 15 year old horse experienced on trails. I know how dangorous horses are but you have to take chances with the things you love right? But thanks
    There's a difference between taking a risk versus walking into danger.

    But it's good that you are now looking for a schooled horse in it's prime. This decision shows maturity on your part. And I'm sure that you will find "the horse" for you.
    Just remember, you don't have to jump out and buy/rescue the first horse that strikes your fancy. Make well reasoned and well guided decisions that will benefit both you and the the horse, and don't settle for something that you aren't sure about. If the horse does something that makes you feel scared or overpowered, don't buy. If the person who is selling seems dishonest, don't buy. And get a vet check before you buy; this is something I can't stress enough. I learned the hard way when I bought Otis.
         
        01-25-2010, 01:15 AM
      #17
    Foal
    If you ever decide you don't want him, horsetopia.com has a lot of horses. Good luck
         
        01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
      #18
    Trained
    After reading your other thread, I must admitt I closed my eyes and took a deep breath when I came across this one.
    You are 13 years old, you are NOT experienced, riding a couple of lessons horses is not experienced, experienced is riding many different horses of different abilities, educating them, re-training them, staying on their bronc sessions etc. I have worked for 2 dealers in the past, riding up to 5 'turn over' horses a day (often picked up from the doggers because they were notorious buckers or similar), ottb's, spelling racehorses, breakers, and then the edicated horses, I've started with 3 year old and taken them up the levels to elementary/medium dressage and sold them on. And I do not, by any means, consider myself an experienced rider.
    Even now, looking for a horse, I am looking for something above all else, quiet, as well as being able to move and have ability for the higher levels of dressage, I do not, by any means, consider myself an 'experienced' rider enough so to take on a rescue case or similar.

    The dream of taking on a resuce is great, you're going to take it on, feed it up, develop an amazing unbreakable bond with it because you saved it's life, then it will let you and only you ride it, doing absolutely everything and winning every competition you enter. Of course that's the dream, but it's far from reality.

    Rescue's may be cheap to buy outright. But the financial outlay to maintain them is enormous!!!! First you'll need the vet bills, and generally, with a horse so severely under weight there will be substantial medical issues needing to be addressed and treated, often taking months to fully recover. The feed will be a huge expense, PARTICUARLY if you get a tb, 90% of tb's are not good doers, and it takes a hell of a lot of food, lots of experimenting with different types of feeds, and a lot of knowledge of the mineral needs of a horse to keep it going. You need to know what vitamins/minerals are lacking from the diet, often done by a blood test (again, $$$$$$) and you need to feed accordingly. You can't just go stuffing a resuce full of as much food as it will eat, you will probably kill it. Conditioning takes time, months to years in fact.

    Another issue, as someone addressed above, is that a horse maybe dead quiet when they are skinny and unwell, but once you start feeding them and getting them fit, they can turn into explosive horror heads and you start to get an understanding of why they ended up where they did in the first place.

    I really do think that a lease would be your best option at the moment. I know it sounds all nice and fairy tale to be 'saving' a horse, but what about your own life? If you're not experienced enough to manage a rescue case, it's very likely that you will end up putting yourself off horses because you will lose your confidence when the horse starts to find his feel and feed good again. And it will possibly end up exactly where he came from.
    A lease would be the logical, intelligent way to approach your entry into horse ownership. You don't need to pay for the horse outright and you may not even need to pay for the full upkeep of the horse either depending on the contract. And if you don't get on with the horse, you don't need to go through the stress of selling it, you can just give it back.
    Think with your head, not your heart. That's the way to go when dealing with horses.
         
        01-25-2010, 12:05 PM
      #19
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kayty    
    after reading your other thread, I must admitt I closed my eyes and took a deep breath when I came across this one.
    You are 13 years old, you are not experienced, riding a couple of lessons horses is not experienced, experienced is riding many different horses of different abilities, educating them, re-training them, staying on their bronc sessions etc. I have worked for 2 dealers in the past, riding up to 5 'turn over' horses a day (often picked up from the doggers because they were notorious buckers or similar), ottb's, spelling racehorses, breakers, and then the edicated horses, i've started with 3 year old and taken them up the levels to elementary/medium dressage and sold them on. And I do not, by any means, consider myself an experienced rider.
    Even now, looking for a horse, I am looking for something above all else, quiet, as well as being able to move and have ability for the higher levels of dressage, I do not, by any means, consider myself an 'experienced' rider enough so to take on a rescue case or similar.

    The dream of taking on a resuce is great, you're going to take it on, feed it up, develop an amazing unbreakable bond with it because you saved it's life, then it will let you and only you ride it, doing absolutely everything and winning every competition you enter. Of course that's the dream, but it's far from reality.

    Rescue's may be cheap to buy outright. But the financial outlay to maintain them is enormous!!!! First you'll need the vet bills, and generally, with a horse so severely under weight there will be substantial medical issues needing to be addressed and treated, often taking months to fully recover. The feed will be a huge expense, particuarly if you get a tb, 90% of tb's are not good doers, and it takes a hell of a lot of food, lots of experimenting with different types of feeds, and a lot of knowledge of the mineral needs of a horse to keep it going. You need to know what vitamins/minerals are lacking from the diet, often done by a blood test (again, $$$$$$) and you need to feed accordingly. You can't just go stuffing a resuce full of as much food as it will eat, you will probably kill it. Conditioning takes time, months to years in fact.

    Another issue, as someone addressed above, is that a horse maybe dead quiet when they are skinny and unwell, but once you start feeding them and getting them fit, they can turn into explosive horror heads and you start to get an understanding of why they ended up where they did in the first place.

    I really do think that a lease would be your best option at the moment. I know it sounds all nice and fairy tale to be 'saving' a horse, but what about your own life? If you're not experienced enough to manage a rescue case, it's very likely that you will end up putting yourself off horses because you will lose your confidence when the horse starts to find his feel and feed good again. And it will possibly end up exactly where he came from.
    A lease would be the logical, intelligent way to approach your entry into horse ownership. You don't need to pay for the horse outright and you may not even need to pay for the full upkeep of the horse either depending on the contract. And if you don't get on with the horse, you don't need to go through the stress of selling it, you can just give it back.
    Think with your head, not your heart. That's the way to go when dealing with horses.
    ^^^ yes!
         
        01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayty    
    After reading your other thread, I must admitt I closed my eyes and took a deep breath when I came across this one.
    You are 13 years old, you are NOT experienced, riding a couple of lessons horses is not experienced, experienced is riding many different horses of different abilities, educating them, re-training them, staying on their bronc sessions etc. I have worked for 2 dealers in the past, riding up to 5 'turn over' horses a day (often picked up from the doggers because they were notorious buckers or similar), ottb's, spelling racehorses, breakers, and then the edicated horses, I've started with 3 year old and taken them up the levels to elementary/medium dressage and sold them on. And I do not, by any means, consider myself an experienced rider.
    Even now, looking for a horse, I am looking for something above all else, quiet, as well as being able to move and have ability for the higher levels of dressage, I do not, by any means, consider myself an 'experienced' rider enough so to take on a rescue case or similar.

    The dream of taking on a resuce is great, you're going to take it on, feed it up, develop an amazing unbreakable bond with it because you saved it's life, then it will let you and only you ride it, doing absolutely everything and winning every competition you enter. Of course that's the dream, but it's far from reality.

    Rescue's may be cheap to buy outright. But the financial outlay to maintain them is enormous!!!! First you'll need the vet bills, and generally, with a horse so severely under weight there will be substantial medical issues needing to be addressed and treated, often taking months to fully recover. The feed will be a huge expense, PARTICUARLY if you get a tb, 90% of tb's are not good doers, and it takes a hell of a lot of food, lots of experimenting with different types of feeds, and a lot of knowledge of the mineral needs of a horse to keep it going. You need to know what vitamins/minerals are lacking from the diet, often done by a blood test (again, $$$$$$) and you need to feed accordingly. You can't just go stuffing a resuce full of as much food as it will eat, you will probably kill it. Conditioning takes time, months to years in fact.

    Another issue, as someone addressed above, is that a horse maybe dead quiet when they are skinny and unwell, but once you start feeding them and getting them fit, they can turn into explosive horror heads and you start to get an understanding of why they ended up where they did in the first place.

    I really do think that a lease would be your best option at the moment. I know it sounds all nice and fairy tale to be 'saving' a horse, but what about your own life? If you're not experienced enough to manage a rescue case, it's very likely that you will end up putting yourself off horses because you will lose your confidence when the horse starts to find his feel and feed good again. And it will possibly end up exactly where he came from.
    A lease would be the logical, intelligent way to approach your entry into horse ownership. You don't need to pay for the horse outright and you may not even need to pay for the full upkeep of the horse either depending on the contract. And if you don't get on with the horse, you don't need to go through the stress of selling it, you can just give it back.
    Think with your head, not your heart. That's the way to go when dealing with horses.

    ^^^ Well said!!
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0