whats in your box? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand
Posts: 995
• Horses: 3
Coconut oil can be used as a detangler but it tends to make the hair rather oily. The best way to apply it is to wash the tail clean allow to dry and then in a bucket of hand hot water squirt about a dessertspoon of oil and swish it around in the bucket. Dunk tail in it quickly and swish around in the water. Oil tends to float to the surface pretty quickly so you need to be quick to prevent it all collecting at the top again.

Swish the water around again to mix the oil and then dunk again.

You can also keep some of the mix in a spray bottle and apply a light coating of it. Shake the spray bottle really well and spray on the tail or mane, keep shaking the bottkle to keep the oil mixed.
Tnavas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 646
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnavas View Post
Coconut oil can be used as a detangler but it tends to make the hair rather oily. The best way to apply it is to wash the tail clean allow to dry and then in a bucket of hand hot water squirt about a dessertspoon of oil and swish it around in the bucket. Dunk tail in it quickly and swish around in the water. Oil tends to float to the surface pretty quickly so you need to be quick to prevent it all collecting at the top again.

Swish the water around again to mix the oil and then dunk again.

You can also keep some of the mix in a spray bottle and apply a light coating of it. Shake the spray bottle really well and spray on the tail or mane, keep shaking the bottkle to keep the oil mixed.
Negative on that.
This would make sense for any other average cooking oil, and the need to dilute it with water and such, but not coconut oil.

It's the only oil the fully penetrates into the hair. After about thirty minutes, it's fully soaked into the hair, and doesn't leave the slightest bit of oily residue. Now, if you were using olive, canola, vegetable oil, etc.- yes that would leave an oily residue. It'd be quite nasty actually.

I use straight olive oil on my own hair weekly, and I have to shampoo it a good two or three times, to fully get it all out. It doesn't even come close to soaking in in the slightest. But, it does do a nice deep condition to my hair, so it's worth the slimy mess of washing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRCM16 View Post
What does coconut oil do?
I don't use the CO as a detangler. It could be, but it's not what it's usually used for.
It works great as a natural conditioner, that really strengthens the hair, and does a great job a preventing breakage, therefore, you get a thicker tail after a while of use.

I put it straight in. Full strength No water to dilute it. No need for it.

In the winter, it's solid, so just warm it up with your hands, and run your fingers through the mane or tail.

I use the olive oil concentrate during the winter, since the coconut oil solidifies in the cold, and with the short, darker days, I just don't have the time to work it back into a liquid. The olive oil concentrate does a pretty good job of maintaining the work the coconut oil has done during all of the summer months.

I bought it in the ethnic isle at the local grocery store.

I've used coconut oil only (no other products besides the olive oil concentrate), straight into the tail for almost a year now, and his tail has never been better, and never have I felt it was oily. Just thick and moisturized.

Try it.

"You're just as sane as I am."~Luna Lovegood.
DejaVu is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid Northern TN
Posts: 2,473
• Horses: 1
What does everyone use sponges for? Just curious since I've never actually seen one used on a horse while most people have them in their box? I have seen them used on tack of course.

I've got three brushes, a couple hoof picks, plastic curry, one of those soft rubber curry mitts, a shedding/scraper blade, fly spray, detangler, and a mane/tail comb and brush. Ivory soap, shampoo, conditioner, Excalibur and the like have their own bucket. :)
Sharpie is offline  
post #24 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cambridge, New Zealand
Posts: 995
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
What does everyone use sponges for? Just curious since I've never actually seen one used on a horse while most people have them in their box? I have seen them used on tack of course.

I've got three brushes, a couple hoof picks, plastic curry, one of those soft rubber curry mitts, a shedding/scraper blade, fly spray, detangler, and a mane/tail comb and brush. Ivory soap, shampoo, conditioner, Excalibur and the like have their own bucket. :)
I have two sponges or may use two face flannels. They are usually either different colours or different shapes.

One is used to clean the eyes, then the nostrils and mouth in that order and the other is to clean under the tail, around the anus. Both need to be kept seperte from each other and the one used on the eyes washed clean after each use.

I prefer to use face cloths as I can wash them in hot water and also use bleach on them to sterilise them.
Tnavas is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: dingwall scotland
Posts: 250
• Horses: 2
Excalibur? I have 2 and I found a wee bag of cut up ones. I use them for cleaning any muck of the back end(marked B) and some for adding finishing touches for shows.
highlander is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 1,166
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
What does everyone use sponges for? Just curious since I've never actually seen one used on a horse while most people have them in their box? I have seen them used on tack of course.
Bathing. My horse is afraid the hose will eat him alive -_-

Thank you for feeding us years of lies. Thank you for the wars you left us to fight. Thank you for the world you ruined overnight. But we'll be fine, yeah we'll be fine.
BornToRun is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 182
• Horses: 5
Mine Contains:
  • 2 dandy brushes
  • a body brush
  • soft brush
  • a mane comb/ hairbrush
  • metal curry
  • sweat scraper
  • multiple hoof picks
  • sponge
  • rag
  • Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover
  • leather cleaner
  • bute paste (in case of an accident on the trail that would need temp. Relief)
  • show sheen ( I always like her shiny!)
  • fly spray
  • scissors
allisonjoy is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid Northern TN
Posts: 2,473
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
Excalibur? I have 2 and I found a wee bag of cut up ones. I use them for cleaning any muck of the back end(marked B) and some for adding finishing touches for shows.
Farnam Excalibur Sheath Cleaner - Horse.com Though I am just as happy to use warm water and some Ivory soap to clean my gelding. The excalibur is nice because it doesn't have to be rinsed, so if you're not done when the horse decides you are, it's not going to be a problem.
Sharpie is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 723
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
I don't use the CO as a detangler. It could be, but it's not what it's usually used for.
It works great as a natural conditioner, that really strengthens the hair, and does a great job a preventing breakage, therefore, you get a thicker tail after a while of use. I put it straight in. Full strength No water to dilute it. No need for it. In the winter, it's solid, so just warm it up with your hands, and run your fingers through the mane or tail. I use the olive oil concentrate during the winter, since the coconut oil solidifies in the cold, and with the short, darker days, I just don't have the time to work it back into a liquid. The olive oil concentrate does a pretty good job of maintaining the work the coconut oil has done during all of the summer months. I bought it in the ethnic isle at the local grocery store. I've used coconut oil only (no other products besides the olive oil concentrate), straight into the tail for almost a year now, and his tail has never been better, and never have I felt it was oily. Just thick and moisturized. Try it.
Going out and buying two gallons (stocking up LOL) as soon as Mom gets back with the car.
I leave my grooming box in the house so nothing can freeze, but would it freeze before soaking into my horse's tail? Its normally 20 - 40 degrees here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
What does everyone use sponges for? Just curious since I've never actually seen one used on a horse while most people have them in their box? I have seen them used on tack of course.
I use mine for washing the face (tearless shampoo only, and not much), on my mares teats, all my horse's bums, and big sponges for washing the body.

All different sponges for each use I described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToRun View Post
Bathing. My horse is afraid the hose will eat him alive -_-
Yours too?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonjoy View Post
show sheen ( I always like her shiny!)
Show sheen isn't for every day use (I don't even use it at shows) because it drys out the skin and can make the horse very itchy causing him to rub out hair.

Instead I let them go natural or I do hot oil treatments (its like heaven in a bottle). I usually only do the manes/forelock because its cheaper and I can just go to the dollar store and buy the human one but I've been thinking about doing the hole body.

Ultra Hot Oil Treatment - Shine & Condition from SmartPak Equine

I couldn't find many before/afters for horses but I got a lot for human hair.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TWMTNMSX8V...+treatment.jpg

Hot Oil Before and Afters?

Before and After - Highshine Hot Oil

It's something you need almost like air or water. ♥
SRCM16 is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 498
• Horses: 3
In my grooming box I have:

3 hard brushes

2 soft brushes

3 hoof picks

3 curry combs

2 mane and tail brushes

1 small towel

1 bottle of show sheen

1 bottle of MTG

1 bottle of flyspray(except in winter)

1 bag of braiding bands


And then I have a huge medical box of all my first aid stuff.

<3 Dallas, Dakota, and Shaymus <3
RIP Shaymus 8/16/13
MyLittleHunter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIT- Whats it for?? starbarpony Horse Tack and Equipment 7 05-06-2011 01:17 AM
Whats Your Name? Whispering Meadows General Off Topic Discussion 71 08-07-2009 05:04 PM
Whats going on? RebelsRose Horse Health 7 06-23-2008 08:37 AM
Whats so bad? horse_luver4e Horse Training 11 02-05-2008 12:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome