I am sorry I have to chime in there: But please, please, please, please do not ever put stuff on a tick to remove it - no vaseline, no alcohol, no glue, no dishwashing detergent!
It induces vomiting and death in the tick and it will spill all its bacteria and diseases right into the host body!
A couple of years ago they put out a study and a paper, trying to battle the old wife's tale of putting stuff on the ticks.
Also: Ticks do not screw themselves into the skin, they bite and burrow, but don't turn. They don't have a screw threaded head, so twisting them may actually increase the chances of twisting the head off and leaving it inside the host's body.
Just pulling them straight out either with tweezers or that nifty little introduced tool is the best method.