Originally Posted by jaydee
Horses mostly (not always) choke because they don't chew their food properly and it gets lodged & then swells up when it comes in contact with saliva as it moves down. The pelleted feeds go to a mush when you soak them and so reduces the risk by a lot. Different feeds need different amounts of water and time so you'd have to experiment yourself
You can buy specially designed feeders for horse that bolt their food but for my old mare that choked a few years ago and scared me - like yours has done you - now has a couple of large smooth round stones in her manger and has had no trouble since
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I have seen some of those feeders in a magazine, I might have to look into getting one of those. Or stones like you, that's a good idea!
Originally Posted by Janna
I used to have an Arab that choked. Vet had me make it into mash.
Oats was ok to feed him, just pellets I had to soak
Ok, thank you so much!
Originally Posted by spirit88
If she just choked not too long ago I would make her feed a bit soupy not just wet down. My guess you will need to do this for a while or maybe for the rest of her life.
I was just reading another thread that said they may be more prone to choking if they choked recently. I think I will try getting it pretty wet then at least for a while.
Originally Posted by poppy1356
Senior feed is drier so when it hits the throat it expands rapidly. Soaking prevents that. You only need enough water to make it mushy. Let it sit for a max of 5 minutes. I would feed right away. Make sure you always feed at ground level, always.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh yes, you are right, especially since I got one with no molasses, I didn't even think about that. I always fed her grain with molasses, but she doesn't have a weight problem so I switched her to senior fed a few months ago. That explains why she didn't have trouble with grain before. I have been feeding her at ground level, after she choked the first time I almost bought a hanging feeder till I did some research on choke and it said always feed at ground level.
Thank you so much everyone!