3 ways to keep ticks away.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

3 ways to keep ticks away.

This is a discussion on 3 ways to keep ticks away. within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Solutions that keep ticks away

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-08-2012, 12:36 AM
  #1
Foal
3 ways to keep ticks away.

Ticks carry Lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, rocky mountain spotted fever and tick bite paralysis. Standard insect solutions rarely work on ticks, they do not only affect your horses health but your own.

how to prevent ticks:

1. Use specially made tick repellants on your horse.

2. If you prefer to hand-pick ticks, wear gloves. To remove a tick, grasp it as close to its host's skin as possible using fingers or forceps. Don't squeeze. Apply slow, steady, upward pressure until the tick comes away intact. Drop detached ticks into a jar of soapy water, then dispose of tick-laden liquid by burying it or flushing it down the toilet.

I think no.3 is a clever way to keep ticks away.

3. Keep a flock of Guinea fowl or free-range chickens. Feathered barnyard marauders consider ticks the pinnacle of haute cuisine--and you can dine on their eggs!

Remember to check you horse for ticks when your grooming, I hope this is helpful I would love to hear some feedback or ways you prevent ticks at your stable.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-08-2012, 12:49 AM
  #2
Trained
#3 is my one and only tick prevention here at home. When I first bought the place I had to pick ticks off my horses 3 times a day and still didn't get them all. The first fall I bought about 30 guineas and next spring...no ticks. Now I have about 60 hens and 30 guineas and I have no ticks, flies are way down even during drought, no snakes, no mice, and I have several loud 'driveway alarms' for when people come to visit. Those guineas don't let anything get past 'em.
     
    07-08-2012, 12:58 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
#3 is my one and only tick prevention here at home. When I first bought the place I had to pick ticks off my horses 3 times a day and still didn't get them all. The first fall I bought about 30 guineas and next spring...no ticks. Now I have about 60 hens and 30 guineas and I have no ticks, flies are way down even during drought, no snakes, no mice, and I have several loud 'driveway alarms' for when people come to visit. Those guineas don't let anything get past 'em.
Thats great to hear that no.3 works I don't own fouls, But luckily I've never had a tick on any of my animals before.
     
    07-08-2012, 01:03 AM
  #4
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayla101    
Thats great to hear that no.3 works I don't own fouls, But luckily I've never had a tick on any of my animals before.

LOL! That would be FOWLS but they truly can be foul too, ever had a goose crap on your front porch? Slick gets a whole new meaning, as does stinky.
     
    07-08-2012, 02:37 AM
  #5
Yearling
Any chance you know names of brands for those specially made for horses tick repellant?
     
    07-08-2012, 04:15 AM
  #6
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy    
any chance you know names of brands for those specially made for horses tick repellant?
Let me google that for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Tayla101 likes this.
     
    07-08-2012, 04:25 AM
  #7
Weanling
Another one is make garlic apart of your horses everyday feed ration :)
Tayla101 likes this.
     
    07-08-2012, 05:13 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy    
any chance you know names of brands for those specially made for horses tick repellant?
If you follow the following links there are some tick repellents for horses that you can buy online. You can also ask you local tack shop or vet.

Entirely Pets - Ovitrol Plus Flea/Tick/Bot Spray for Dogs,Cats & Horses 16oz

Http://www.amazon.com/Insect-Repellent-Horses-Natural-Flies/dp/B006PG8BZO
Hope this helps
     
    07-08-2012, 05:14 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians    
LOL! That would be FOWLS but they truly can be foul too, ever had a goose crap on your front porch? Slick gets a whole new meaning, as does stinky.
No but I've had a seagull poop on me.
     
    07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
  #10
Weanling
I'm glad I don't have any ticks in my neck of the woods. Just sounds like a disguisting little pest. Yucky!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ticks shaggy Horse Health 10 04-20-2012 07:13 PM
Ticks! Lots of ticks! clavoie Horse Health 7 03-27-2012 05:58 PM
What ticks you off? close2prfct General Off Topic Discussion 13 09-22-2009 10:15 PM
Ticks LiveToJump General Off Topic Discussion 9 06-24-2009 12:43 PM
Ticks? FGRanch Horse Health 12 03-03-2009 11:11 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0