5 week old colt lost mother - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

5 week old colt lost mother

This is a discussion on 5 week old colt lost mother within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How often does 3 week old foal eat from mother
  • Feeding 3 week old foal

Like Tree18Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-18-2012, 09:29 AM
  #21
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaholic    
Cherie, I have looked at some of your horses. I haven't found anything that would make me not buy a horse bred to one of your studs. From what I have seen they are decent enough to add to the value of a mare going back to an auction. Plus the fact that you send them back better than you got them (training) is a plus for the mares. While you could very well leave them in the pasture until the orphaned foal and their offspring are waiting to be weaned, and do nothing. You make a choice to add to the mare, training, good groceries from the looks of it, and a breeding for foal with a decent chance of a future. Where did the mare lose out in the deal? I don't see it. AND it is really none of my business.
Sorry Cherie, I should have kept it shorter and more to the point. Point being, I don't think you're a horrible horse owner for sending the mares back through the auction, and even if I did it is none of my business. I also didn't mean to imply that you were sending your personals through auction.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
  #22
Started
Back to the situation of the OP. After raising an orphan, I worry for that foal.Your prime objective here is to getting that foal fed!! At this age she still needs milk replacer or a nurse mare.They are use to nursing regularily & as an orphan on a bucket they need feeding every few hrs!!Dehydration effects youngsters quickly.They don't eat enough outside of milk to sustain them & have adequate nutrition for growth.I personally had luck with the bucket rather than a nipple for feeding the milk replacer.
That baby needs to be seperated from the herd situation,if you can find a suitable equine buddy that is best,will have company & horsie socialization
You need to work diligently to get that baby onto some kind of milk replacer ,nurse mare or goat milk.At this age they are eating, so also feeding good quality hay & a balanced foal ration is also needed.
Hope you find help for this foal & it will be OK.
     
    04-18-2012, 02:05 PM
  #23
Teen Forum Moderator
I'm helping raise an orphan foal as well right now, but she's quite a bit older. She was 3 months old when she was orphaned, and I was given the same instructions as you are being given- OP. Kenzie (the orphan) is 4 months old now and turned out with a 12 year old broodmare who doesn't have a foal, a younger mare of good disposition, and one of our lesson mares. I halter broke her, taught her to stand for me to do a health check (ears, nostrils, etc) and turned her out. I don't mess with her otherwise, we're just going to let her grow and develope like a normal foal. So far she seems no different from any of the other colts and fillies that we've raised, except being a bit thinner and slightly pot bellied (our fault, we didn't do milk replacer, just fed her weanling feed). So I'd advise that you do the same.

Good luck!
     
    04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
  #24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
I'm helping raise an orphan foal as well right now, but she's quite a bit older. She was 3 months old when she was orphaned, and I was given the same instructions as you are being given- OP. Kenzie (the orphan) is 4 months old now and turned out with a 12 year old broodmare who doesn't have a foal, a younger mare of good disposition, and one of our lesson mares. I halter broke her, taught her to stand for me to do a health check (ears, nostrils, etc) and turned her out. I don't mess with her otherwise, we're just going to let her grow and develope like a normal foal. So far she seems no different from any of the other colts and fillies that we've raised, except being a bit thinner and slightly pot bellied (our fault, we didn't do milk replacer, just fed her weanling feed). So I'd advise that you do the same.

Good luck!
I weaned my foals at three months.

The mare's milk is to low in butterfat for them to continue to thrive.

I fed free choice sweet feed and just a very little bit of hay. (a hand full) three times a day.

I supplemented with calf manna.
     
    04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
  #25
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
I weaned my foals at three months.

The mare's milk is to low in butterfat for them to continue to thrive.

I fed free choice sweet feed and just a very little bit of hay. (a hand full) three times a day.

I supplemented with calf manna.
Hoping that's a typo?
Posted via Mobile Device
natisha likes this.
     
    04-18-2012, 02:42 PM
  #26
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco1220    
Hoping that's a typo?
Posted via Mobile Device
Where?
     
    04-18-2012, 03:29 PM
  #27
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper    
I weaned my foals at three months.

The mare's milk is to low in butterfat for them to continue to thrive.

I fed free choice sweet feed and just a very little bit of hay. (a hand full) three times a day.

I supplemented with calf manna.
There, what's bolded.
I can't really comment on raising orphaned foals, but I did want to sub on this to continue reading. :p
Everyone I know that has bred has weaned around 3 months, 5 at the oldest.
I really wish we had an auction close to me..because I'd love to just sit-in on them every so often. If there was an auction house, I'd have a project now. I have no qualms of selling at an auction, because a horse is a horse, not my SO. I wanted to get a 3-4yr old gelding for a project, get some training and showing done this season and resell before I went to college, but no one is buying around here unless it's a 1D, finished barrel horse.

Regardless..just subbing and reading along.(:
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
  #28
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseul    
There, what's bolded.
I can't really comment on raising orphaned foals, but I did want to sub on this to continue reading. :p
Everyone I know that has bred has weaned around 3 months, 5 at the oldest.
I really wish we had an auction close to me..because I'd love to just sit-in on them every so often. If there was an auction house, I'd have a project now. I have no qualms of selling at an auction, because a horse is a horse, not my SO. I wanted to get a 3-4yr old gelding for a project, get some training and showing done this season and resell before I went to college, but no one is buying around here unless it's a 1D, finished barrel horse.

Regardless..just subbing and reading along.(:
Posted via Mobile Device
That is how I fed.

One or, two days after the birth of the foal I started.

I would make a creep feeder in the box stall so the foal could eat sweet feed at any time.

Most of them would lay in that area which was great.

They would never get stepped on in there.
     
    04-18-2012, 03:42 PM
  #29
Started
My foal was weaned from milk replacer at 3 1/2 mths,she had my senior mare as a surrogate mom.She by that time was eating free choice hay & was fed,oats,beet pulp , a balanced supplement & dewormed on regular basis. She thrived & never really had issues with her getting potty bellied. She was successfully integrated to the herd & now she has several of the herd members that act as babysitters to her
     
    04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
  #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedpastures    
My foal was weaned from milk replacer at 3 1/2 mths,she had my senior mare as a surrogate mom.She by that time was eating free choice hay & was fed,oats,beet pulp , a balanced supplement & dewormed on regular basis. She thrived & never really had issues with her getting potty bellied. She was successfully integrated to the herd & now she has several of the herd members that act as babysitters to her
I never turned my babies out.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Was Told I Have to Quarrantine Colt From Mother? poundinghooves Horse Breeding 22 04-18-2012 11:41 AM
2 week out baby lost his dam dullylover Horse Breeding 50 07-30-2011 10:41 AM
My trainer lost her mother yesterday morning. drafts4ever Horse Talk 3 02-18-2011 12:01 PM
3-Week-Old Colt Down and Wont Get Up! Please Help! Lance Horse Health 15 01-05-2011 12:35 AM
Strangles...3 week old colt...?????? What to do Velvetgrace Horse Health 2 05-06-2010 03:00 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0