7 month old Filly..Need I Say More? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

7 month old Filly..Need I Say More?

This is a discussion on 7 month old Filly..Need I Say More? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Can a 7 month old foal with strangles survive

Like Tree90Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
  #31
Yearling
Strangles can live on the fencing for over 6 months and some horses can be carriers and show no signs of the illness. To me it sounds like the ranch is infected with Strangles, foals and older horses are more susceptible to it. Strangles isn't the end of the world and most vet will not give antibiotics for it at certain stages because it can lead to another more serious form of the disease which can cause the lesions on internal organs, usually once the lesions pop it is treated with keeping the lesions clean.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-19-2012, 05:28 PM
  #32
Trained
Definitely sounds like strangles to me. Swollen head and discharge in one filly, discharge and a drainage hole in the other. I would be calling my vet out asap, and I would also be penning a fairly unhappy letter to the previous owner.
NdAppy, Drifting and Joie like this.
     
    11-19-2012, 05:29 PM
  #33
Yearling
I hope its nothing serious! But I'm glad your getting your vet out soon. :)

If it is strangles, alert the breeder and if you have the info for the vet that did the health certificate I would tell them too. Also, you can ask your vet, but there may be a requirement to alert the state health department (I may have that department wrong, maybe agricultural department?) I would also go to the AQHA, specifically those who did the raffle, and let them know about it but only if it is strangles (or something else of that nature.) Wait until you know what it is though. I'd be unhappy with the breeder for sending a sick foal, my weanling was sent with warts but she warned me ahead of time and I had the option of waiting for them to go away.
     
    11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
  #34
Trained
Some breeders, feel that strangles is no big deal when in reality it is...
TaraBearaIsBack likes this.
     
    11-19-2012, 05:37 PM
  #35
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting    
I hope its nothing serious! But I'm glad your getting your vet out soon. :)

If it is strangles, alert the breeder and if you have the info for the vet that did the health certificate I would tell them too. Also, you can ask your vet, but there may be a requirement to alert the state health department (I may have that department wrong, maybe agricultural department?) I would also go to the AQHA, specifically those who did the raffle, and let them know about it but only if it is strangles (or something else of that nature.) Wait until you know what it is though. I'd be unhappy with the breeder for sending a sick foal, my weanling was sent with warts but she warned me ahead of time and I had the option of waiting for them to go away.
Thanks for letting me know! I will do all of the above! I had the option of waiting to get her till she was perfectly well, but they didn't tell me it was strangles or anything about what she had except that there was discharge (and I was impatient and ready to have my baby with me!) I will let her breeder know, but I won't complain because I knew she wasn't in the perfect health and I'm still very grateful to have her and I'm praying that strangles is not what she has!
     
    11-19-2012, 05:40 PM
  #36
Yearling
Just wait until the vet says it's strangles for sure, or until you know exactly what it is. A lot of people don't take kindly to being told something like that came out of their stock (even if they did know about it.) So wait till you have the proof of it.
     
    11-19-2012, 06:38 PM
  #37
Foal
The breeder just emailed me back and this is what she said:

They thought it could be pigeon fever, but that usually doesn't last that long and it was unclear where it would have come from. There was an outbreak in Yakima and in OR and it is transported by flies, but both places are at least 80 miles from us. Do keep in mind that we have outside mares in that we breed in the spring, but none showed any signs of any sickness. Dime(the other filly) is still sick. We now have her on a new med. We have a consult on her and are trying biomicin. The facebook picture of you two is cute. Keep us in the loop. If there are any ideas on your end, we would love to hear about what anyone thinks it is.

My gramma said my vet is pretty busy this week but we are trying to get him here by Friday
     
    11-19-2012, 07:08 PM
  #38
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBearaIsBack    
The breeder just emailed me back and this is what she said:

They thought it could be pigeon fever, but that usually doesn't last that long and it was unclear where it would have come from. There was an outbreak in Yakima and in OR and it is transported by flies, but both places are at least 80 miles from us. Do keep in mind that we have outside mares in that we breed in the spring, but none showed any signs of any sickness. Dime(the other filly) is still sick. We now have her on a new med. We have a consult on her and are trying biomicin. The facebook picture of you two is cute. Keep us in the loop. If there are any ideas on your end, we would love to hear about what anyone thinks it is.

My gramma said my vet is pretty busy this week but we are trying to get him here by Friday
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't pigeon fever as bad or worse than strangles?

It is very possible and with this new info I would make my vet come out tomorrow. And be very, very pissed this wasn't disclosed of ahead of time. They told you she had discharge but never mentioned the severity of it.
NdAppy and TaraBearaIsBack like this.
     
    11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
  #39
Yearling
I don't know if its worse, I just did a quick google search and I came up with results that it came from the breast area, not where they'd put a hole in the neck. Poor little baby, I hope the vet can come out soon.
TaraBearaIsBack likes this.
     
    11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
  #40
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting    
I don't know if its worse, I just did a quick google search and I came up with results that it came from the breast area, not where they'd put a hole in the neck. Poor little baby, I hope the vet can come out soon.
I just remember a member here had a very hard time when her whole herd came down with it. I think her screename was Dee.

I remember it took a long time to get all her horses back to health. I don't know much about it since I've never heard of it around me.
     

Tags
advice, aqha, baby, filly, health

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 Month Old AQHA Filly TaraBearaIsBack Horse Conformation Critique 15 10-17-2012 11:33 AM
9 month old filly will not let me approach her jhines Natural Horsemanship 6 02-06-2012 10:37 PM
7 Month old Filly...what to expect? demonwolfmoon Horse Conformation Critique 15 12-29-2011 02:18 PM
11 month old QH filly banman Horse Breeding 10 03-28-2011 09:24 AM
Nine month old filly now being ridden... Equus_girl Horse Talk 10 03-04-2010 03:50 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0