To try and give a brief Hx of said horse- Very end of Oct. Purchased an OTTB, mistake one was to pull rear shoes off....after Thanksgiving saw an equine chiropractor and we both felt he was too foot sore to go without shoes till he grew some more heel, so called Farrier to put shoes back on at next visit ( Dec 27th ). 2nd week in Dec. Brought heavy snow, with a sudden melt down then hard freeze, making the ground rocky and very uneven. All seemed the same. Then with Christmas, we didn't go to the barn for a few days till the farrier appointment. Pulled horse out of pasture to discover he was very lame on rear foot. She tested him and felt it was an abscess near coronary band. Classic signs. Gave me instructions to soak in warm water and epsom salts then make a poultice of sugar and betadine and apply to whole hoof area, wrap in disposable diaper, vet wrap and duct tape. Did this for 5 days and no improvement. Had one day we couldn't make it to change bandage and BO took it off so he went 24 hrs. With nothing on. Decided to try same routine but with an Epsom salt poultice instead for a couple days, and still no signs of it blowing out. Another Farrier was coming to the barn and I asked him to take a look at horse. He wasn't very invasive but pushed, tested and said he too felt it was an abscess ( 95% sure ) and does not dig out abscesses. Didn't feel I needed to call Vet unless I wanted it dug out but told him it was my next call if needed to R/O fractures (horse is not reactive to sole ). However he told me what I had been doing for a poultice was actually drying him out and making hoof hard...and suggested ichthammol instead. He did NOT identify location of possible abscess. So, here we are 12 days later, no blow out, still off and not sure what to use to poultice him and where to put it. I know ichthammol can irritate skin so do I put it only on the sole even if my farrier felt it was going to blow out coronary band? I've also read about the Animalintex poultice pads. Do I use something else? Does the winter temps ( 20's) affect the time it takes to blow? I've never had to personally deal with one, only watched friends and their horses. I'm calling Vet on Monday but till then I'm going to treat as an abscess. What variables could I be dealing with if any and what is a better poultice in this weather if there is one? I've also read some folks deal with waiting for these to blow for up to 3 wks or more.....eeekkk!
Thanks in advance for input.