Advice about allergy please!
Ok so I bought an 8 year old paint mare about a week ago and when I picked her up the girl I bought her from told me that they trailered her to the river to go swim (as there last ride together) and that the dust in the trailer had made her a little wheezy so she suspected she has a mild dust allergy. She was very up front about it and told us she hadnt had any previous problems with her, she had worked her quite hard before (she was a barrel prospect that just wasnt quite fast enough), and just told us if we had some hay that was lower quality to just wet it down for her.
So we brought her home and we couldnt hear any wheezing. Then we threw some hay out for them which was dusty and not great quality so I watered it down fairly well but it still caused her to start wheezing again, once removed from it she stopped wheezing within a day. I never heard her cough and you couldnt see her visibly making a huge effort to breath (heaving) she just had a slight wheeze that didnt seem to be bothering her, she wasnt lethargic, acting sick, or anything like that.
Then today she rolled and once she stood up she coughed for a few minutes after and now I'm having a bit of a panic moment. Apparently she did that earlier today when I wasnt around as well (after she rolled). I dont know if im just being hyper about watching for signs of heaves or something wrong now or if I should be worried. She hasnt been wheezy at all all day and the girl I bought her from seemed very up front and honest so I'm not really concerned she lied to us or anything like that, just wondering if I should be as concerned as I am now. It's only been two days since she was removed from the hay so she may still have some allergy issues going on, but the slight wheeze is definately gone.
She will most definately NOT be going anywhere near any hay but the best quality from now on, in fact we've decided to stop feeding the dustier hay to all of our horses even though they never had any issues with it just to be safe. So if anyone has any advice,experience, or anything about whether I should be worried or not please help me out here. I am keeping money on hand to get a vet to check her if need be, I just want to give her time to get over the dusty hay reaction before I pay a vet to tell me something I already know (that she has a mild allergy).