Advice on putting weight on 13 year old under weight thoroughbred *PICTURES* - The Horse Forum
 37Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Advice on putting weight on 13 year old under weight thoroughbred *PICTURES*

I took in an under weight thoroughbred mare she was put in pasture with nothing else she has been checked by vet her teeth are good up to date Coggins and Dewormed she is on Nutrena Pro force Fuel 8 quarts in a day 4 in morning 4 at night as well as 2 quarts of soaked beet pulp and 24/7 turn out with free choice hay all day long with fresh water all day and mineral block
12346311684_f99fc3c605.jpg
So what would you change or add and what would you do for exercise to prevent becoming hot
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Teen Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,157
• Horses: 2
I won't comment on the grain because I'm not familiar with it. The beet pulp is great. Is the 2 quarts after soaking, or before? And is it 2 quarts per meal or all together? You might be able to give her more.

Free choice hay is a fantastic start and what will help her the most. What kind of hay is she getting? Making part of that alfalfa hay (30% or so should suffice, so maybe two flakes a day?) can also help.

I wouldn't exercise her at all at this point, but give her space to run around if she feels like it. Right now she needs all of those calories for gaining fat, and likely won't be feeling too full of it anyways at this weight.
4hoofbeat likes this.

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #3 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku View Post
I won't comment on the grain because I'm not familiar with it. The beet pulp is great. Is the 2 quarts after soaking, or before? And is it 2 quarts per meal or all together? You might be able to give her more.

Free choice hay is a fantastic start and what will help her the most. What kind of hay is she getting? Making part of that alfalfa hay (30% or so should suffice, so maybe two flakes a day?) can also help.

I wouldn't exercise her at all at this point, but give her space to run around if she feels like it. Right now she needs all of those calories for gaining fat, and likely won't be feeling too full of it anyways at this weight.
The beet pulp is 1 quart before soaking twice a day to a total of 2 quarts. She has quite a bit of energy so far but the hay is coastal.. should I add alfalfa?
Posted via Mobile Device
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
post #4 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,761
• Horses: 2
I give Canola oil to horses I really want to see more weight on. Usually about 8 oz per day divided into two feedings. If you try it out, work up to it gradually by adding two ounces per week until you're up to however many you want to feed.
Eolith is offline  
post #5 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Teen Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South East Texas
Posts: 7,157
• Horses: 2
If you can get it and she doesn't seem to be gaining on everything else, you might consider it. If she's gaining on what you have her on though, I'd say just let her be.

Everyone in your life is meant to
be in your journey, but not all of
them are meant to stay till the end.
Endiku is offline  
post #6 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,510
• Horses: 3
It takes time, sounds like you are taking good care of her.

I am not here to promote anythingNo, that's not true, I am here to promote everything equestrian and everyone enjoying horses!
waresbear is offline  
post #7 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: I was born in Germany, raised in Texas.
Posts: 824
• Horses: 5
Yup. Sounds like a great start. I have a 31 year old Tennessee Walker that has absolutely no back teeth and I use beet pulp to keep weight on him because he can't eat hay at all. When you say 1 quart per feeding before soaking are you talking about beet pulp pellets or shreds? The reason I ask is because the pellets expand to much more than a quart of shreds. I like using pellets if I have the time to soak because they really seem to give you more bang for your buck. I feed my boy about 2 lbs unsoaked per feeding which equals to about 1.5 quarts I think. But like I said, I have to make up for hay. Something else that I like to add which really makes a difference in my opinion is rice bran. Fortified is better but way more expensive. I buy the unfortified which is about $11 for a 50lb bag because I go through it quick enough that it doesn't go bad. THat's a big reason why people like the fortified better because it doesn't spoil like unfortified supposedly does. I've never had a bag go bad though. And like someone else already mentioned, I add oil but I use vegetable oil. I add about 1/2 cup per feeding. Good luck with your mare. I look forward to seeing improvement pics. :)
mammakatja is offline  
post #8 of 113 Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,453
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyrae1993 View Post
I took in an under weight thoroughbred mare she was put in pasture with nothing else she has been checked by vet her teeth are good up to date Coggins and Dewormed she is on Nutrena Pro force Fuel 8 quarts in a day 4 in morning 4 at night as well as 2 quarts of soaked beet pulp and 24/7 turn out with free choice hay all day long with fresh water all day and mineral block
Attachment 366618
So what would you change or add and what would you do for exercise to prevent becoming hot
I won't go into the supplements for the needed minerals and amino acids. Just don't have the energy tonight and the information is available online anyway.

For good, healthy (i.e. works well with the equine digestive system, allowing for everything to work correctly without messing with things like the microbes needed for long fiber in the hindgut vs the undesirable ones that build up from grain), high calorie and easy to digest the best two things I know of are beet pulp and copra.
Beet pulp is easy to digest fiber for the hindgut with about 1/3 or more nutritional value than hay (depending on the hay for more than 1/3).
Copra is super easy to digest in the foregut and goes straight into their system from there. Loaded with calories.
Both basically have low NSC. Both are basically "cold" feeds (which is great). Beet pulp can have sugars if it's been treated with molasses, but that can be rinsed off when soaking. Or you can find some that hasn't been treated with molasses which doesn't have the sugar problem.

Keep the hay in front of them. Best quality you can find/afford. Once his conditioning improves you can cut back or the high quality stuff.

NOTE: All changes to diet need to be done gradually, with the new items increased in stages. Horses digestive systems do not tend to deal well with sudden/significant changes in their diet.

Not supper bad off from the picture. Shouldn't take terribly long before it's looking good. Remember not to over do it. They are better off being a little lean than they are being overweight (which tends to create even more problems). Better to have the ribs slightly visible (which is actually a good weight anyway) than to have to press to feel them (which to often tends to be the case).
loosie likes this.

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
post #9 of 113 Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 729
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles View Post
I won't go into the supplements for the needed minerals and amino acids. Just don't have the energy tonight and the information is available online anyway.

For good, healthy (i.e. works well with the equine digestive system, allowing for everything to work correctly without messing with things like the microbes needed for long fiber in the hindgut vs the undesirable ones that build up from grain), high calorie and easy to digest the best two things I know of are beet pulp and copra.
Beet pulp is easy to digest fiber for the hindgut with about 1/3 or more nutritional value than hay (depending on the hay for more than 1/3).
Copra is super easy to digest in the foregut and goes straight into their system from there. Loaded with calories.
Both basically have low NSC. Both are basically "cold" feeds (which is great). Beet pulp can have sugars if it's been treated with molasses, but that can be rinsed off when soaking. Or you can find some that hasn't been treated with molasses which doesn't have the sugar problem.

Keep the hay in front of them. Best quality you can find/afford. Once his conditioning improves you can cut back or the high quality stuff.

NOTE: All changes to diet need to be done gradually, with the new items increased in stages. Horses digestive systems do not tend to deal well with sudden/significant changes in their diet.

Not supper bad off from the picture. Shouldn't take terribly long before it's looking good. Remember not to over do it. They are better off being a little lean than they are being overweight (which tends to create even more problems). Better to have the ribs slightly visible (which is actually a good weight anyway) than to have to press to feel them (which to often tends to be the case).
Thanks she seems to be gaining nicely so far just have never had a horse this skinny...
Posted via Mobile Device
kimberlyrae1993 is offline  
post #10 of 113 Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,779
• Horses: 4
I can't help with the feed, I think everyone so far has done a great job with that already..

but one thing I would suggest is take body shots once a week, same angles each week. Because you see her every day, the changes will be less noticeable to you every day than they would be to someone who doesn't see her quite as often, and the photos will be a good measure of how fast she is gaining, and how much she needs to keep going
angelswave88 likes this.

R.I.P ~ Bubbles - 25yo tb mare - 13.04.2011 ~ 8:30am ~ passed away naturally and peacefully in my arms
HollyBubbles is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting weight on very under weight thoroughbred mare kimberlyrae1993 Horse Nutrition 18 01-31-2014 01:21 PM
help putting on weight! LaYuqwam111 Horse Health 2 12-07-2012 12:53 AM
Putting weight on my old TB EWUGirl3544 Horse Nutrition 3 02-07-2012 03:37 AM
Putting weight on senior horses...advice? JLynn Horse Nutrition 8 11-24-2011 01:40 PM
Putting on weight? Supermane Horse Nutrition 25 04-26-2010 09:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome