Alarming weight loss - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Alarming weight loss

This is a discussion on Alarming weight loss within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
      #11
    Foal
    I will have to weigh ne of the bales.

    He feeds once in the evening, so that would be 2 flakes a day.

    I will get the suppliment information when I got here this afternoon and post as soon as I can.

    Last night I did stop and get her one of those vitamin salt/mineral blocks for horses.

    Thankyou ALL for the info -pleae feel free to be long winded and even vent. The more I read, the more I learn!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
    I will have to weigh ne of the bales.

    He feeds once in the evening, so that would be 2 flakes a day.

    I will get the suppliment information when I got here this afternoon and post as soon as I can.

    Last night I did stop and get her one of those vitamin salt/mineral blocks for horses.

    Thankyou ALL for the info -pleae feel free to be long winded and even vent. The more I read, the more I learn!
    Whoa! That is starvation diet there! Only 2 flakes a day? My horses to maintain weight get 3 flakes in the morning and 3 at night plus 7 lb of grain a day. That is just to keep them at the same weight without working! Your horse needs 3x the amount she is getting! Don't just get suppliments. Pick up a complete feed if you don't want to feed more hay. That will at least suppliment the lack of hay she is getting.
         
        08-08-2008, 01:09 PM
      #13
    Started
    Quote:
    He feeds once in the evening, so that would be 2 flakes a day.
    Then you definitely need to stop in and feed in the morning.. That is not enough hay without even knowing the weight. No way is he feeding 10# flakes.
         
        08-08-2008, 10:09 PM
      #14
    Foal
    OK, new question. I have decided to purchase, store, and transport my own hay (all within my means).

    What do I buy? What hay is good? How do I tell if it's right?

    Untill I can purchase hay, what should be the best I can do for her as in a substitution feed.
         
        08-08-2008, 11:35 PM
      #15
    Started
    Quote:
    OK, new question. I have decided to purchase, store, and transport my own hay (all within my means).

    What do I buy? What hay is good? How do I tell if it's right?

    Untill I can purchase hay, what should be the best I can do for her as in a substitution feed.
    It depends somewhat what part of the country you live in as to what hay will be available. I am in Kansas and I feed the native grass hay, which we call Prairie hay. ;) In some areas the hay available would be coastal, in other places it may be timothy, or a combination of several types of grass with alfalfa mixed in.

    You should find someone who knows something about hay to help you locally find a good supplier. Be sure your source understands horse hay over cattle hay. For one thing it should smell fresh and look clean and not stemmy or weedy. You don't want it super rich, but you don't want junk either.

    Hopefully someone else will pop in and give you some more tips on this as well.

    In the meantime you can feed beet pulp soaked or dry. I like to feed it soaked for about 20 mins to get it started fluffing up. However not all horses will dive into it that way so you may have to toss a little bit of dry into the hard feed to get her started on something like that. OR you can feed alfalfa pellets(soaked or not) or cubed Alfalfa in a bag.. Either is a nice way to add some extra nutrition to help get her built back up. If you are where you can find Total Equine it is a good feed to use in place of grain..
         
        08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Alfalfa is good for putting weight on, if you can't get it, you can feed alfalfa pellets. We usually feed an alfalfa/clover mix.

    You may think about stalling and graining her if she doesn't get better, or at least graining her. Go for something with some feed corn in it, it helps with the weight gain too. You definitely did the right thing getting her away from the other horses.
         
        08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
    OK, new question. I have decided to purchase, store, and transport my own hay (all within my means).
    Remember that whatever hay you put out there will be feed for all - I would imagine they are all hungry. You need a better solution for the long term, but this is excellent for now. I don't imagine you can or want to feed other people's horses.
         
        08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    First question, why is the barn owner dictating how your horse is going to be feed?

    Second question, what do you mean she is solidated?? Do you mean she's isolated? If so that's good, now up her feed to at least 6 flakes a day depending on the weight.

    Are there others boarding at this barn? What do they look like?

    AppyT send me some of those pills!!!!!!
         
        08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
      #19
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G&K's Mom
    First question, why is the barn owner dictating how your horse is going to be feed?

    Second question, what do you mean she is solidated?? Do you mean she's isolated? If so that's good, now up her feed to at least 6 flakes a day depending on the weight.

    Are there others boarding at this barn? What do they look like?

    AppyT send me some of those pills!!!!!!
    LOL They are called Effexor and without them I am quite certifiable.
         
        08-13-2008, 12:59 AM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G&K's Mom
    First question, why is the barn owner dictating how your horse is going to be feed?

    Second question, what do you mean she is solidated?? Do you mean she's isolated? If so that's good, now up her feed to at least 6 flakes a day depending on the weight.

    Are there others boarding at this barn? What do they look like?
    I belived that this was how a traditional boarding worked....

    Yes, I meant isolated....derp on my part .

    The other three horse there are the barn owners. They all appear to be doing well (one is even quite the beefcake!)

    I also checked on the pellets I have been giving her, they are Merit active suppliment pellets. Hope this helps...
         

    Thread Tools



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0