08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
| || |
Algae in a tank tells you that the water is safe for your horses to drink. I don't usually have a problem with it bc I'm using a 65 gal. Trough for 3 horses, and have to fill 1/2 of it every other day. The reason to use fish is not to eat the algae. Goldfish can live in low oxygen and stagnant water. Yes, they eat the algae. What they also eat is mosquito larvae, which is why I usually keep them in my tank. Not THIS year. I need to get my well pump fixed and so I'm using city water, which has enough chlorine to kill the fish.
Honestly, we like our tanks to be pretty clean, but if the water is too clean all of the time your horse will balk at drinking water when you travel. I guess I don't have the time to scrub my tank every week. I barely have enough time to train after I've fed my other animals and work. Just an fyi for anybody feeling badly bc they don't scrub water tanks. I also find that filling it with the hose on the bottom and overflowing cleans a lot of debri from the bottom of the tank.