All natural home remedies? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

All natural home remedies?

This is a discussion on All natural home remedies? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horse health home remedies
  • Teabag on horse eyes

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-13-2011, 12:05 AM
  #11
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Not sure what you mean by home remedies exactly? Apple cider vinegar, Tea Tree oil, beeswax, honey, copper sulphate, salt, Epsom salts.... etc, etc. But you have to buy, not make all that, so do you consider they're under the banner?
All that stuff is great!

I just prefer trying something like that before I go and buy something in a bottle already made up specifically for something because they tend to be a little bit pricey and they can only be used for one thing... If that makes sence...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-13-2011, 12:06 AM
  #12
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
Not sure if this counts but;
Dish soap.
It works wonders on my mares coat, especially if you get the moisturizing stuff that doesn't dry your hands out, but I've had nice luck with even the store brand. You can look too- in all her pictures she is soooo shiny, also because of a cup of corn oil a day ;)
Also, during the summer I like to buy the bulk Gatorade mixes, and give her one little scoop of it a day. Wouldn't be a good idea if your horse is sensitive to sugar, but its a tasty way to get some electrolytes into them. It was actually recommended to me by the vet xD
Thanks! I shall try that
     
    09-13-2011, 12:57 AM
  #13
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygoose123    
Thanks! I shall try that
Dishwashing detergent is designed to cut through grease particularly well, so strips the natural oils from a horse's skin/coat particularly well. Presume it would effect the protective coating of fats/oils on the surface of the hooves in the same way. Not sure it's any worse than shampoo in that way tho, or too bad if used very occasionally - eg before a big show. Also know that dogs' skin is different to ours - think lower pH or some such to ours, so even regular human shampoo is too harsh for dogs. Not sure if horses are similar in that way.

Vegetable oil can be OK, if a horse needs more condition & it does also tend to enhance coat shine, but adding fats can also be harmful if unneeded, too much, type dependent - eg. High omega 6 so imbalances omega 3's etc - and should be added very gradually & fed little & often in VERY small amounts, because a horse's digestive system is not designed for them, so digestive enzymes need to be produced & maintained to deal with them.

Electrolyte supplementation can sometimes be necessary, but generally only for exceptionally hard working, big sweating horses - eg endurance horses during/after a big race. It can be harmful if given when not needed or given regularly.

So... not at all saying what Tianimalz does wrong or bad at all, but we don't know the details or how/why for a start, and you need to understand the reasons & effects before just 'trying' something someone says. Could do a whole spiel on when it may not be a good move to use what I suggested too. By all means, listen to & consider all suggestions & opinions, but don't just blindly follow them without knowledge.

BTW Joe, great point! I am constantly surprised by people who think 'natural' is the same as good/right/safe, etc. When people say something like 'it's natural so it's obviously fine' my line is "yeah, that's why it's really a myth that arsenic & toadstools can kill you" ... on that note, that's why the lable 'barefoot' or 'natural' hoof care grates on me a bit, because while I think that generally we can do far better for our horses than conventional shoes, bare feet may be natural, but...
     
    09-16-2011, 11:47 AM
  #14
Banned
Quote:
Dishwashing detergent is designed to cut through grease particularly well, so strips the natural oils from a horse's skin/coat particularly well. Presume it would effect the protective coating of fats/oils on the surface of the hooves in the same way. Not sure it's any worse than shampoo in that way tho, or too bad if used very occasionally - eg before a big show. Also know that dogs' skin is different to ours - think lower pH or some such to ours, so even regular human shampoo is too harsh for dogs. Not sure if horses are similar in that way.

Vegetable oil can be OK, if a horse needs more condition & it does also tend to enhance coat shine, but adding fats can also be harmful if unneeded, too much, type dependent - eg. High omega 6 so imbalances omega 3's etc - and should be added very gradually & fed little & often in VERY small amounts, because a horse's digestive system is not designed for them, so digestive enzymes need to be produced & maintained to deal with them.

Electrolyte supplementation can sometimes be necessary, but generally only for exceptionally hard working, big sweating horses - eg endurance horses during/after a big race. It can be harmful if given when not needed or given regularly.

So... not at all saying what Tianimalz does wrong or bad at all, but we don't know the details or how/why for a start, and you need to understand the reasons & effects before just 'trying' something someone says. Could do a whole spiel on when it may not be a good move to use what I suggested too. By all means, listen to & consider all suggestions & opinions, but don't just blindly follow them without knowledge.
Well I can honestly say nothing is wrong with Indie health wise, her skin and fur are smooth, healthy and clean- she gets a bath once a week in the summer, and then every other month during colder times. She tends to be a hard keeper during colder months, and the excess oils keep the weight on her well and she has never once been ill from it. (Some runny poo when first introduced, but that was taken care of by cutting back and introducing it a little more slowly) The Gatorade was in fact recommended to me by a vet, he said that it was a easy supplement during the summer, just scoop a little bit into their food, he even carried around his own little pouch for horses he checked on! LOL.

I can respect you trying to help the OP, I didn't mean to tell her to just do whatever I say- Lord knows I'm no expert... although I wasn't quite expecting someone to just pick apart my post.
But yes, forums are good for getting ideas, but I also do some research before taking the advice I get on it for more than it may be worth
     
    09-16-2011, 06:44 PM
  #15
Weanling
I don't have anything much, but one thing I do know (old english remedy) is to put a soaked teabag (squeezed out a bit, obviously) on the horses eye if it is at all swollen or sore. Obviously it won't work on something like a cut to the eye, but we did this to my bosses dressage mare when her eye swelled up from fly irritation, and it really helped, and she seemed to really enjoy it!! Just for a couple of minutes at a time, a few times a day
     
    09-16-2011, 09:10 PM
  #16
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Dishwashing detergent is designed to cut through grease particularly well, so strips the natural oils from a horse's skin/coat particularly well. Presume it would effect the protective coating of fats/oils on the surface of the hooves in the same way. Not sure it's any worse than shampoo in that way tho, or too bad if used very occasionally - eg before a big show. Also know that dogs' skin is different to ours - think lower pH or some such to ours, so even regular human shampoo is too harsh for dogs. Not sure if horses are similar in that way.

Vegetable oil can be OK, if a horse needs more condition & it does also tend to enhance coat shine, but adding fats can also be harmful if unneeded, too much, type dependent - eg. High omega 6 so imbalances omega 3's etc - and should be added very gradually & fed little & often in VERY small amounts, because a horse's digestive system is not designed for them, so digestive enzymes need to be produced & maintained to deal with them.

Electrolyte supplementation can sometimes be necessary, but generally only for exceptionally hard working, big sweating horses - eg endurance horses during/after a big race. It can be harmful if given when not needed or given regularly.

So... not at all saying what Tianimalz does wrong or bad at all, but we don't know the details or how/why for a start, and you need to understand the reasons & effects before just 'trying' something someone says. Could do a whole spiel on when it may not be a good move to use what I suggested too. By all means, listen to & consider all suggestions & opinions, but don't just blindly follow them without knowledge.

BTW Joe, great point! I am constantly surprised by people who think 'natural' is the same as good/right/safe, etc. When people say something like 'it's natural so it's obviously fine' my line is "yeah, that's why it's really a myth that arsenic & toadstools can kill you" ... on that note, that's why the lable 'barefoot' or 'natural' hoof care grates on me a bit, because while I think that generally we can do far better for our horses than conventional shoes, bare feet may be natural, but...
I also didnt mean I was going to go out and just do everything everyone has sugested. I just meant I was going to go and try the dish washing liquid to make them shiney. I realise it may be harsh on the skin but it will only do damage if the horse has sensitive skin and it is used often or long periods of time. I was only going to use it once to see how it works. I know you are just trying to help and all your info is GREAT! You probably didnt mean to but you just sounded a but nit picky is all
Tianimalz likes this.
     
    09-16-2011, 09:12 PM
  #17
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiesaurusRex    
I don't have anything much, but one thing I do know (old english remedy) is to put a soaked teabag (squeezed out a bit, obviously) on the horses eye if it is at all swollen or sore. Obviously it won't work on something like a cut to the eye, but we did this to my bosses dressage mare when her eye swelled up from fly irritation, and it really helped, and she seemed to really enjoy it!! Just for a couple of minutes at a time, a few times a day
Cool! My old horse, Banjo, gets sore weepy eyes when the flies get to them, I should try this and see if it helps him if his eyes get sore this summer. Thanks
     
    09-17-2011, 07:07 AM
  #18
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygoose123    
Cool! My old horse, Banjo, gets sore weepy eyes when the flies get to them, I should try this and see if it helps him if his eyes get sore this summer. Thanks
Oh yeah, forgot to say, make sure they're cold!! Don't think they'd appreciate a boiling hot teabag on their eye!!
     
    09-17-2011, 07:42 AM
  #19
Foal
I feed my mares apple cider vinegar and fresh garlic. It makes them shine :)
     
    09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
  #20
Showing
Interesting thread.

One to add, loose leaf tobacco for bee/wasp stings. (human & horse) It draws all of the stuff out and takes the swelling down fast. It needs to be wet when applied.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Remedies (Grooming Edition) gizpeptig Horse Grooming 105 02-03-2012 03:15 PM
Contracted tendons, home remedies? BrewCrew Horse Health 6 11-11-2010 02:14 PM
Home Remedies (Health Edition) gizpeptig Horse Health 11 11-08-2010 10:26 PM
Home Remedies JustLeaveIt2Mya Horse Tack and Equipment 7 12-25-2009 01:19 PM
Home Remedies for Guys RegalCharm General Off Topic Discussion 8 02-27-2009 12:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0