I used to have horrible, horrible allergies. Still do to some extent, but before it was like, weeks taken out of my year because I was too sick to leave the house.
Believe it or not, I used to be extremely allergic to horses. I don't know how or why, but for some reason over the years, as I've spent more time with horses, the allergy has really just...disappeared.
What always got me (and still does) really sick is horses who are really hairy, are shedding, and have a lot of dandruff. Besides that, I am generally not too bad. Perhaps this could be setting off your boyfriend's severe reaction?
As soon as he comes in from working with the horses, get him to take a shower and wash all the dandruff and horsey particles off before they really get a chance to set in. That should help.
If his allergy is really bad and normal medication isn't helping, I would highly recommend allergy shots. They're a pain, 'cause you have to take them consistently every week until they're done, but they help a LOT. I took them a few years back and was allergy-free for a whole glorious year.
Last edited by pintophile; 09-04-2011 at 02:12 PM.