Anyone heard of HyPP? Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>> HyPP isn't restricted to just QH's and Paints either, it says Arabians, Appaloosas, Pintos and other stock breeds may be at risk. Any horse that has Impressive in it's bloodlines. Here is the website I got most of my information from, I found it really informative.

Where that website says that "there is now anecdotal evidence (from horses for sale sites and breeders web sites) that HYPP may be crossing over into the Arabian Horse Association,", they did not qualify that statement with the fact that it would have to be HALF Arabians only....NO purebred Arabians would have ANY lineage to the QH Impressive-- the Arabian Horse Assoc. does not allow ANY crossing to ANY other breed for registered purebred Arabians.

>>>>> And I said any horse with Impressive in it's blood could be at risk. So if a horse, any horse, doesn't have Impressive bloodlines, it obviously isn't at risk. Maybe I didn't state that part clear enough.

There are over 100 purebred Arabians that have the word "Impressive" in their registered name, including some named simply "Impressive", with various spelling differences. They are of NO relation to the AQHA Impressive... but if people see erroneous or incomplete statements such as "there is now HYPP crossing over into Arabs, so avoid bloodlines with Impressive".... do you see where this causes unnecessary and perhaps damaging confusion and the further spread of misinformation?

While there is some good information on the site you referenced, IMO that website also makes some statements that are not 100% accurate, and/or are outdated. It is written by a private individual/indiviudals, not researchers or scientific experts.

IMO other, more technically accurate reference sites are--

The HYPP info page at the Veterinary Genetics Lab at UC Davis--
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/hypp.php

The HYPP facts page at AQHA--
http://www.aqha.com/association/registration/hypp.html

Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,208
• Horses: 7
not to belittle all of the research done in these posts but the simple statement would be:

If a horse, any breed has IMPRESSIVE in it's bloodlines, it could potentially have HYPP. So if a person has a horse, that is IMPRESSIVE bred, then be sure to test it for HYPP. It's an inexpensive test. If your horse does test NH or HH, then don't breed it.

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Mn.
Posts: 749
• Horses: 0
You can also just check to see if the status of the sire or dam of your horse thats Impressive bred has been tested if its N/N then your horse is also HYPP cannot skip generations.
county is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 21,208
• Horses: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by county View Post
You can also just check to see if the status of the sire or dam of your horse thats Impressive bred has been tested if its N/N then your horse is also HYPP cannot skip generations.
Right. My baby didn't have to be tested because both his parents were HYPP/NN, which automatically made him...HYPP/NN....

"Be a best friend, tell the truth, and overuse I love you
Go to work, do your best, don't outsmart your common sense
Never let your prayin knees get lazy
And love like crazy"
farmpony84 is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmpony84 View Post
not to belittle all of the research done in these posts but the simple statement would be:

If a horse, any breed has IMPRESSIVE in it's bloodlines, it could potentially have HYPP. So if a person has a horse, that is IMPRESSIVE bred, then be sure to test it for HYPP. It's an inexpensive test. If your horse does test NH or HH, then don't breed it.
Right! If I was in the market for a horse that had any Impressive in its history I would have it tested or want the results in hand no matter what the breeder told you. People lie unfortunately Especially when you get into some of the cross bred unregistered horses.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,091
• Horses: 0
we also have to remember that the HYPP gene is a mutation of a gene, any horse could hav etaht mutation at any time!!

I have been called the NSC Nazi more then once ... I hate traditional feed methods of loading our horses up on grains and junk food :)
Peggysue is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
We need to keep in mind that it is the AQH Impressive and not a horse of a different breed with the same name.

An Arabian, TWH, or any other breed using the same name will not carry the gene. So far it has only been a linage of the the Quarter Horse Impressive that may have HYPP.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,883
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by county View Post
You can also just check to see if the status of the sire or dam of your horse thats Impressive bred has been tested if its N/N then your horse is also HYPP cannot skip generations.
I did TONS of research to try and see if Vega's sire (Impress me Shanon) was Hypp positive or not. I looked at his stud page and it didn't mention a thing. I also looked his name up on a list and I still didn't find anything, but he was NH, therefore passing it down to Vega.

I would rather just spend the $50 to get the test then rely on stuff over the internet.
appylover31803 is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 735
• Horses: 1
>>>> not to belittle all of the research done in these posts but the simple statement would be:

>>>> If a horse, any breed has IMPRESSIVE in it's bloodlines, it could potentially have HYPP. So if a person has a horse, that is IMPRESSIVE bred, then be sure to test it for HYPP. It's an inexpensive test. If your horse does test NH or HH, then don't breed it.


But the statement regarding what breeds HYPP is present in is still not accurate. Purebred Arabs are not at risk for HYPP, and posting things that suggest that they are is not helpful.

Also, there are many horses in many breeds named "Impressive" or with the word "Impressive" in their name that are not related to the AQHA horse Impressive responsibile for HYPP.

Why not take an extra minute/write an extra sentence to make the statement accurate, to avoid confusion and mis-information? Heck, you see from just this thread that there are people that will take it to extremes and avoid the QH and related breeds altogether, just because HYPP exists in one bloodline.... what if people start avoiding Arabs altogether because they read that "HYPP is getting into the Arab registry".... or they avoid Arabs and Saddlebreds and Morgans and Thoroughbreds because they read "any breed where Impressive is in the bloodlines is at risk for HYPP".... since all of the above breeds have individuals in their registry named Impressive....?


Laura Lyon
Eastowest
http://www.eastowest.com
Eastowest is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE Kansas
Posts: 10,620
• Horses: 5
Mea culpa mea culpa I'm very guilty of doing that, never thinking of other breeds with Impressive names. Thank you for correcting me I promise I will always specify AQHA with the word Impressive when discussing HYPP from this day foreward.


"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened..."
- Anatole France
Vidaloco is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypp!!!! Junebug Horse Breeding 28 04-07-2009 11:51 PM
hypp horses_r_life9 Horse Health 2 02-18-2009 03:06 PM
Hypp bgood400 Horse Health 20 12-04-2008 04:36 AM
HYPP upnover Horse Breeds 11 03-11-2008 10:50 PM
Help with HYPP appylover31803 Horse Health 12 10-16-2007 02:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome