Aspirin amount?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Aspirin amount?

This is a discussion on Aspirin amount? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How to give a horse aspirin
  • How many aspirin tablets do i give a horse

Like Tree7Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-19-2012, 01:11 AM
  #1
Yearling
Aspirin amount?

Well Blaze went and got himself hurt again and this time I watched him do it. He gets in between the hay bails to eat cause he's a pig and I was getting him out by backing in out and I guess on his blind side he didn't see the the metal barrel on the ground and hit with the soul of his hoof. So now he's limping around and were going to see how he is tomorrow before calling the vet. But my horsey friend that helped me shaggy's tick problem before was there (her daughter and I were riding) and she told me that I could give him some aspirin to help with the pain. So my question is how much aspirin should I give him? I think his weight is some where between 800 and 1200 lbs not 100% positive on that tho.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-19-2012, 02:02 PM
  #2
Yearling
Wow thanks for all the wonderful answers that I needed to help my horse (sarcasm)
     
    06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
  #3
Green Broke
I've never heard of giving a horse aspirin. Bute is pretty common, and comes with dosing instructions on the package. I would personally be hesitant to give medications not intended for equines to my horse, given how sensitive their digestive tracts are.

How is Blaze doing today? Still limping?
     
    06-19-2012, 02:17 PM
  #4
Trained
You would have better results as far as inflammation reduction using Bute, however Asprin will also reduce inflammation and will not "mask" inflammation for days as Bute will.

Merck Veterinary Manual

Http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs3708

There is some more information. It seems 25mg/kg is the accepted therapeutic dose. For 1000lb horse that is just over 11,000mg (assuming this is once a day).

If you have 500mg tablets that is about 22 tablets per dose.

My mum used Asprin on her arthritic horse and administered it about 30 minutes prior to riding. Because it is not long acting it was good for keeping him comfy during rides. She used the vet prescribed large tablets that were about 4000mg per tablet and she did 2-3 per dose, if memory serves.
     
    06-19-2012, 02:32 PM
  #5
Banned
Shaggy,

If your expectation was that you would receive an substantive answer within an hour of posting your question, you might have been better off calling a vet clinic, using a paid service or doing some research yourself . Everyone here participates in their own free time and as they see fit, so it's a little silly to get huffy because other members haven't answered promptly enough to suit you.
     
    06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Thanks Anebel- I found that very informative
     
    06-19-2012, 06:29 PM
  #7
Trained
Interesting! Never heard of giving aspirin to a horse. Learn something new every day!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016    
I've never heard of giving a horse aspirin. Bute is pretty common, and comes with dosing instructions on the package. I would personally be hesitant to give medications not intended for equines to my horse, given how sensitive their digestive tracts are.

How is Blaze doing today? Still limping?
Im hoping to get some bute from the vet if I can ever get the vet out and yeah he's still limping pretty bad. It took me ten minutes to get him to the barn and then poor guy I left the stall door open for him to go in if wanted (also wanted to see if he would move on his own.) and it took him a another ten minutes to ease himself into the stall
     
    06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by maura    
Shaggy,

If your expectation was that you would receive an substantive answer within an hour of posting your question, you might have been better off calling a vet clinic, using a paid service or doing some research yourself . Everyone here participates in their own free time and as they see fit, so it's a little silly to get huffy because other members haven't answered promptly enough to suit you.
its wasn't my execptation to get an answer hour. I post this question last night.
     
    06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
You would have better results as far as inflammation reduction using Bute, however Asprin will also reduce inflammation and will not "mask" inflammation for days as Bute will.

Merck Veterinary Manual

Http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs3708

There is some more information. It seems 25mg/kg is the accepted therapeutic dose. For 1000lb horse that is just over 11,000mg (assuming this is once a day).

If you have 500mg tablets that is about 22 tablets per dose.

My mum used Asprin on her arthritic horse and administered it about 30 minutes prior to riding. Because it is not long acting it was good for keeping him comfy during rides. She used the vet prescribed large tablets that were about 4000mg per tablet and she did 2-3 per dose, if memory serves.
thanks Anebel great information!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the right amount of food arando Horse Nutrition 5 04-25-2012 01:15 PM
Most amount of faults in a SJ competition! LadyNeigh Jumping 8 01-12-2012 07:18 AM
Aspirin or Bute? marinewife1024 Horse Health 2 05-08-2011 06:44 AM
glucosamine sulfate vs. Aspirin Nobriga Horse Health 3 07-30-2010 06:34 PM
What is the most amount of carrots you have ever got in one day? GiddyVirgil General Off Topic Discussion 7 02-23-2009 12:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0