Bald Spots
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Bald Spots

This is a discussion on Bald Spots within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • HOSREBALD SPOTS
  • Horse red bald spots on back

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-15-2010, 10:44 PM
  #1
Weanling
Bald Spots

My horse is getting bald spots. When I was grooming him I noticed bald spots on his neck and shoulder. Could this happen from him shedding too much or rubbing? It doesn't look like it's sore just the hair is falling out. What can I do to prevent this and how can I help it grow back?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-15-2010, 11:08 PM
  #2
Started
It could be just how he's shedding..an appendix qh at our barn has this, the owners that board him swear it's rainrot (which it might be, don't get me wrong) so they'retreating it as that, but the BO thinks it might just be how he's shedding this year. I would bet on rainrot since it's most of his back stomach/flanks, but it could be either IMO.
But anywho...I would guess/suggest just how he's shedding, or rainrot, depending. I don't know what it actually looks like on him though, so I can't really say much more. :#
Sorry for rambling about Sockies at our barn though XD
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    04-15-2010, 11:11 PM
  #3
Foal
This happened to the horse I used to ride..it was usually just rubbing, completely out of boredom. But if your horse has any weird symptoms, call the vet out there. You don't want it to be mites or something that could really hurt him in the future.
     
    04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottncandykoala    
This happened to the horse I used to ride..it was usually just rubbing, completely out of boredom. But if your horse has any weird symptoms, call the vet out there. You don't want it to be mites or something that could really hurt him in the future.
The only thing I can figure is he is rubbing. He doesn't have anything weird about him though.
     
    04-15-2010, 11:17 PM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseul    
it could be just how he's shedding..an appendix qh at our barn has this, the owners that board him swear it's rainrot (which it might be, don't get me wrong) so they'retreating it as that, but the BO thinks it might just be how he's shedding this year. I would bet on rainrot since it's most of his back stomach/flanks, but it could be either IMO.
But anywho...I would guess/suggest just how he's shedding, or rainrot, depending. I don't know what it actually looks like on him though, so I can't really say much more. :#
Sorry for rambling about Sockies at our barn though XD
Posted via Mobile Device
It's just bald. No flakes, no scabs, just his hair is falling out, it even still has hair on it just you can clearly see his skin if that makes sense.
     
    04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
  #6
Weanling
My horse has been doing this as well this spring. The vet came out to do shots and I had him look at it. He said that some horses just shed out too much and the hair will grow right back. As long as the bald areas are not itchy and the skin seems healthy it should be fine. My vet said the hair would grow in in a couple of weeks. Of course your horse might have something completely different but it sounds a lot like what my horse is doing.
     
    04-15-2010, 11:34 PM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie19    
My horse has been doing this as well this spring. The vet came out to do shots and I had him look at it. He said that some horses just shed out too much and the hair will grow right back. As long as the bald areas are not itchy and the skin seems healthy it should be fine. My vet said the hair would grow in in a couple of weeks. Of course your horse might have something completely different but it sounds a lot like what my horse is doing.
They don't look itchy or anything the skin actually seems healthy. I think he is just shedding out a lot.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bald spots on legs ididasku Horse Health 0 04-04-2010 11:26 PM
Bald spots and weight loss Ctrygirl Horse Health 4 04-04-2010 09:01 PM
Bald Spots and MTG Void Horse Grooming 2 10-02-2009 08:05 PM
Bald spots when shedding blossom856 Horse Grooming 7 05-07-2009 09:19 PM
bald spots? geewillikers Horse Health 10 06-03-2008 03:21 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0