Barefoot OR Shoes - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Barefoot OR Shoes

This is a discussion on Barefoot OR Shoes within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree36Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
      #11
    Trained
    My farrier says the horse's hoof will tell him if they need shoes or not. My three do not, but there are other horses he shoes regularly. I have hard, stony ground in the corrals, and they normally go about 10 weeks between trimmings. They went 12 this last time because he was hard to get hold of, and only 1 of the 3 was noticeably long.

    Mia & I chatting at the corral:

         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-04-2012, 10:45 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Well my TWH does just fine on waiting that long. The guy I bought him from was my farrier. He usually is on a lot harder surfaces and I take him on gravel a lot and his hooves wear down over time. My other gelding was bored at the farriers house when I bought him and his hooves are sensitive but hardly grow in the winter that's why his are fine. The mares just don't get worn down as much because she doesn't do as much, and it doesn't help the way her hooves grow. And for options of getting the feet trimmed before march are not very good. He is the only farrier I know of in my region unless I am willing to take them a good hour and a half away but I don't have a trailer to haul them with. My geldings I'm not concerned about because there's wear down but my mare needs to be trimmed again. I will have to look into finding other farriers tomorrow. And I'll try to post some pictures up tomorrow if it is still light out.
    deserthorsewoman likes this.
         
        12-05-2012, 07:23 AM
      #13
    Foal
    I am all in on barefoot! Our horses are barefoot and I wouldn't have it any other way. Keep a good natural trim, or mustang roll on their hooves and you'll be amazed at how healthy your horses hooves become.
    deserthorsewoman likes this.
         
        12-05-2012, 08:16 AM
      #14
    Banned
    Wink

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by laurenlewis24    
    Agreed, it does keep the horse from moving their natural way. Also, shoeing for a long period of time can really hurt your horse's hoof wall. It makes the frog sensative, especially when they wear shoes for part of the year and a few months out of it are expected to walk around barefoot. It is almost impossible for them to stay comfortable.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I have horses the wear exceeds the growth so going barefoot during riding season isnt possible. Going barefoot isnt an option unless I want sore lame horses. By the way wild horses arent being ridding 6 days a week so don't compare wild horses to corral kept horses. I see your a barefoot lover well it doesnt work for every horse. And by the way my horses go from shoes to barefoot with out an issue. All has to do with whos doing the feet skilled or not skilled.
    Taffy Clayton and poppy1356 like this.
         
        12-05-2012, 08:28 AM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spirit88    
    I have horses the wear exceeds the growth so going barefoot during riding season isnt possible. Going barefoot isnt an option unless I want sore lame horses. By the way wild horses arent being ridding 6 days a week so don't compare wild horses to corral kept horses. I see your a barefoot lover well it doesnt work for every horse. And by the way my horses go from shoes to barefoot with out an issue. All has to do with whos doing the feet skilled or not skilled.
    This. My farrier loves my horse's hooves. She has a nice tight hoof that we have gotten to grow upright. Nice big frogs, very healthy foot. BUT she wears faster than it grows so she must be shod whenever there isn't snow. Hoof boots aren't an option during the riding season as we ride way more miles than the boots are recommended for.

    I took her on a 25 mile ride 3 days after pulling her shoes for the winter. Not a lame step. Heck she hasn't taken a lame step since her laminitis attack. Her hoof was as healthy when we pulled the shoes as when we put them on. A great farrier will go a long way with hoof care.
         
        12-05-2012, 08:32 AM
      #16
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfed58    
    I am all in on barefoot! Our horses are barefoot and I wouldn't have it any other way. Keep a good natural trim, or mustang roll on their hooves and you'll be amazed at how healthy your horses hooves become.
    I looked up a mustang roll. It's interesting, I wonder if there is a farrier around here. I think my neighbor takes his horses to a natural guy ill have to ask if he can do that. Do your horses have it done? And if they do what's the difference?
         
        12-05-2012, 08:44 AM
      #17
    Foal
    The big difference is in what portion of the hoof (hoof wall in particular) bears weight with ground contact. Its not the outer edge, its actually the inside edge of the hoof wall, snd its surprising how it eliminates cracking and chipping. Well, almost eliminates it. It promotes good flex and blood flow, and promotes healthy frog and sole growth as well. Its really worth looking into.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
      #18
    Foal
    Will it help trail horses more? All three of my horses are trail horses. There pasture is soft most days, but are also in the barn (it's like a run in shed only for shelter) witch is concrete with straw. It wouldn't interfere with all of the trail riding would it? I have been looking into it, and it says that it helps eliminate the pressure on the hoof wall or something like that.
         
        12-05-2012, 09:17 AM
      #19
    Showing
    This whole barefoot vs shoes debate is idiotic. SOME horses can go barefoot while SOME horses need shoes. You do what's best for the individual horse, not go by some 'gospel' thrown at you by fanatics of either camp.

    That whole 'wild horses do just fine without shoes' argument has holes so big I could drive a semi through them. Wild horses with bad feet do exist, they just don't live long. Plus, they're not being worked the way domestic horses are. Comparing apples to kumquats.

    In over 3 decades of owning horses, only one of mine has ever needed shoes and he gets them. I'm simply not willing to torture him because some barefoot fanatics think he shouldn't wear shoes.

    Bottom line, you do what's best for the HORSE.
         
        12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
    This whole barefoot vs shoes debate is idiotic. SOME horses can go barefoot while SOME horses need shoes. You do what's best for the individual horse, not go by some 'gospel' thrown at you by fanatics of either camp.

    That whole 'wild horses do just fine without shoes' argument has holes so big I could drive a semi through them. Wild horses with bad feet do exist, they just don't live long. Plus, they're not being worked the way domestic horses are. Comparing apples to kumquats.

    In over 3 decades of owning horses, only one of mine has ever needed shoes and he gets them. I'm simply not willing to torture him because some barefoot fanatics think he shouldn't wear shoes.

    Bottom line, you do what's best for the HORSE.
    I do agree that there are horses that need different hoof care, I was just wondering for some more experienced opinions once I post pictures. If it would help to have shoes on her, but from what I've got I should just keep her barefoot.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Go Barefoot or Keep Shoes loveyourhorse Hoof Care 37 05-26-2012 12:30 AM
    shoes vs barefoot triggetpony Horse Health 16 06-30-2011 04:13 PM
    Shoes vs. Barefoot White Foot Horse Health 36 07-04-2009 02:29 PM
    Going from shoes to barefoot appylover31803 Horse Health 8 06-09-2009 01:11 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0