BIOTIN -- feed the capsules or??
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

BIOTIN -- feed the capsules or??

This is a discussion on BIOTIN -- feed the capsules or?? within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Can i buy biotin by itself
  • Can i feed biotin for people to my horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-19-2009, 12:48 PM
  #1
Weanling
BIOTIN -- feed the capsules or??

I bought a bottle of Biotin capsules. And need to feed Splash 4 capsules a day to get him his 20mg. So what would be the best way to feed it? Just in capsules? Open the capsules and put the powder in something? Have any of you guys fed your horses capsules?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-19-2009, 06:19 PM
  #2
Started
Why are you feeding just biotin it does NOTHING on it own with the amino acids backing it
     
    04-19-2009, 07:28 PM
  #3
Weanling
I use stright biotin powder for my horse who has had problems with his hooves. It works quite well and his hooves wouldnt have come this far without it!!

I would break open the capsuals and mix is with some damp food. I've never heard of feeding capsuals to horses before lol! But someone else may have, see what other people have to say.
     
    04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggysue    
why are you feeding just biotin it does NOTHING on it own with the amino acids backing it

I didnt know that... what are some things that have amino acids in it that I can buy?
     
    04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
  #5
Started
You best bet is to find a good biotin supplement or a ration balancer that will cover all your bases ... soybean meal is a great source of amino acids as welll as distillers grains but good luck finding them as stand alone products

I do not adives just adding stuff to the diet without looking at the total picture :) what type of hay how much?? What feed and how much?? Some thing have a very small window where they are safe... meaning while you may be looking at hoof supplement it might have a high level of vitamin A that when combined with your regular feed throws you into toxic range
     
    04-20-2009, 09:36 AM
  #6
Weanling
You can mix the capsules in his feed or break them open and mix the powder in. Either way works depending on the horse. Some horses are good at eating around capsules though so you may have to break them open.
     
    04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
  #7
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggysue    
you best bet is to find a good biotin supplement or a ration balancer that will cover all your bases ... soybean meal is a great source of amino acids as welll as distillers grains but good luck finding them as stand alone products

I do not adives just adding stuff to the diet without looking at the total picture :) what type of hay how much?? What feed and how much?? Some thing have a very small window where they are safe... meaning while you may be looking at hoof supplement it might have a high level of vitamin A that when combined with your regular feed throws you into toxic range
All winter they were fed on about 3/4 alfalfa and 1/4 grass round bale.
They have finished the bale and have just been eating grass now. They have also been getting a 34oz. Of oats and corn up until this past week and we stwitched to just oats.
So I don't know what sort of feeding schedule to put him on?
     
    04-20-2009, 11:57 AM
  #8
Showing
Cowgirl, are they having any issues? I mean why do you want to start giving biotin? I heard too that biotin by itself doesn't do much, needs to be combined with amino acids. You may look into pelleted supplement (like
Horseshoer's Secret™ or something).
     
    04-20-2009, 12:14 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
cowgirl, are they having any issues? I mean why do you want to start giving biotin? I heard too that biotin by itself doesn't do much, needs to be combined with amino acids. You may look into pelleted supplement (like
Horseshoer's Secret™ or something).

Splash's hooves arent in very good condition. He's got cracks on both front hooves and I heard biotin was good for that. I may just get a supplement. Does horse.com have any that you would recommend for an affordable price? Thanks.
     
    04-20-2009, 12:54 PM
  #10
Started
Why not look for a ration balancer in your area ?? They on average are cheaper then most others and you could PROBABLY elimanate the oats all together then as well since they are a pelleted feed that most horses will eat...

They have great levels of all teh vitamin/minerals a horse needs and NORMALLY you don't have to add anything else UNLESS you need a joint supplement ;)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help feed the horses who lost their feed in the PNW horsesandponies Horse Health 1 01-14-2009 12:04 AM
Feed Kiara Horse Health 5 08-28-2008 01:05 PM
What does it cost you to feed your horses their HARD feed?? Peggysue Horse Health 10 08-08-2008 11:35 AM
Feed Horse_Chick Horse Health 1 06-08-2008 06:38 PM
How do you feed? Vidaloco Horse Talk 10 04-10-2008 02:40 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0