Her joint fluid has actually begun to rebuild itself. Before the 1st flush, the fluid was a watery substance. It's supposed to be really sticky like syrup. Before the 2nd joint flush...6 days later...the fluid had rebuilt itself considerably. And the culture grew no bacteria...so we thought we were clear. But the swelling just wouldn't go away. Hence the xrays yesterday and another wrench thrown into the recovery process.
She is still walking on it fairly well. A little bit of a hitch/ouchy moment now and then but this is much better then 4 weeks ago when she could not place weight on this leg at all. But honestly, at a walk...I don't see much change in her gait from when she was sound. At a trot, she's lame.
I'm curious if anyone here has had personal experience dealing with this. I have researched and researched online and haven't found much information on specifically what I am looking for.
My vet has recommended surgery to remove the infection. I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it. As of right now, I'm looking at more horror stories than anything good. I want to know what type of surgery I'm looking at, pros/cons, recovery time etc. My vet sent my mares xrays to 3 different vets, including Michigan State University so I'm waiting to hear back from her, but I'm impatient and want some answers...like...yesterday.
I don't want to go through all of this, and have a pasture pet in the end. I already have one horse I can't use for competing anymore, I don't need another one that I can't even ride.
Have you dealt with a bone infection before? How was it treated? Did your horse recover? Was it sound for riding? Competing?