Situation: Hubby and I rescued a little 7-month old AQHA colt last week. He will be staying in my boarding facility's pasture 24/7 with my mare and about 8 other horses (it's a very large pasture). However, it's barn policy (and rightfully so) that any colt/stallion, no matter the age, cannot be turned out with the mares, just in case. I completely agree with the policy, so we scheduled Rebel's castration for today. (Also, rescuing this baby is an unexpected expense during the holiday season and keeping him in a stall is costing us a lot more than if we could put him into the pasture. We can afford it, but I'm a penny pincher so I wanted to get him out and into the fresh air ASAP.)
Here's the problem: Vet called this morning to say it is "too cold" to do the castration and that he was rescheduling for Friday. Umm... What? I live in Nebraska. Today at 3:30 (when the appt. Was) it is supposed to be almost 40 degrees. We were planning to do the procedure in the indoor arena. Granted, the indoor arena has no heat source, but it keeps out wind and any kind of precipitation so it's always at least a few degrees warmer in there. Because vet decided to reschedule, hubby and I will be paying an extra 7-9 days of stall rate board instead of pasture rate.
Here's my question: Is there a medical reason that the procedure cannot be done in lower temperatures? Something that would affect the horse? Or is vet just trying to be more comfortable? I'm originally from Colorado. Both CO and NE tend to have very harsh winters, and 35-40 degrees is NOTHING. Vet has lived here for a long time, so I'm not sure why he would be so whimpy about lower temps. That's why I wondered if there might be a medical reason behind it.
If there is no medical reason, hubby and I will be looking for a different vet. I really don't want to deal with a wussy one. Thanks for all opinions and input!
P.S. Yes, we can afford our horses and have money set aside for emergencies. But we don't like to use it for silly things like a vet not liking the cold.