I am toying with the idea of putting a goldfish in my horses' water trough this summer. I hear the fish will eat the algae, but I have a lot of questions.
1. Is it safe for my horses to drink? What with all the fish poop?
2. Can I just buy any old goldfish, like the $.99 feeder ones, or do I need something more specific.
3. Does the water have to be treated for the goldfish? I swear I had to have treated water for my goldfish when I was kid, which ties into my "is it safe" question.
4. Does the fish have to be a certain size before I put it in, or can I toss in the 1" fish?
5. Do I have to feed the fish? This also ties in to my first question.
6. How often will the trough have to be cleaned, and how often will I have to add water for the fish?
7. What do I do in the winter? I would like to have a tank heater, but not sure how that ties in with the fish, and I don't know how healthy it is for a fish to be in suspension all winter, assuming it can even last that long.
If you can answer any question, please do! And feel free to share your fish-in-trough experience. Thank you!