Can't decide if I should call the vet yet...
   

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > Horse Health

Can't decide if I should call the vet yet...

This is a discussion on Can't decide if I should call the vet yet... within the Horse Health forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • When to call vet for horse hind limb swelling

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
  #1
Weanling
Can't decide if I should call the vet yet...

Zee has some swelling in his lower left front leg. When I showed up for my lesson last night, I noticed swelling about half way down his lower leg (a few inches below the knee) down to and including his ankle. The swelling was mainly on the outside and back of the leg. He was not in pain, perhaps a tiny bit sensitive to squeezing it. Walking and standing fine. I put him on the lunge line, and he walked fine, but I noticed a very slight sensitivity to it at the trot. My trainer was in the middle of the area and couldn't see it at all. When she took a closer look at the leg, she thought it actually looked like a popped splint on the outside of the leg. I poulticed and wrapped it last night. Actually, I had to run over to NJ to the tack shop to get wraps, poultice, etc. By the time I got back, about two hours later to wrap him, there was a noticable improvement in the swelling.

This morning (woke up at 5:00 to drive over there in a snow storm and still made it to work on time), I unwrapped it and hosed the poultice off. There was a very, very slight decrease in swelling compared to the time I wrapped. I went back over at lunch time, and he was about the same. I did email my vet last night (she's in Florida and we got 6 inches of snow last night, hate her) and she didn't seem overly concerned, but told me who was covering for her while she's away and I can call if there's no improvement.

I wouldn't say he's lame, or in pain, but I worry that it should still be checked out by a vet. However, I am on the verge of turning into that owner that stresses about EVERYTHING. I kept him in on stall rest today, and plan to wrap him again tonight. Am I jumping the gun if I call the vet out, or should I give him a few days and see how he is on Monday?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-21-2011, 03:51 PM
  #2
Trained
I personally would give it a few days to see if it gets better. He could have just done something out in the pasture -- Doesnt sound like anything too horrible.

If you're really worried about it, it never hurts to call the vet. But I wouldnt be alarmed at this point
     
    01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
  #3
Foal
Its hard because itd just be the time you needed the vet out if you didn't call them but if you do it'll probably turn out to be nothing. It depends if you want to pay for the call out fee I suppose...
If it was my horse I might be worried because they are both a bit loopy sometimes and might have damaged it messing around in the field but that's 2 tbs :)

I think at the end of the day I would just think do you want to risk it being something bad when you did not call the vet out or just take it as it comes!
     
    01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
  #4
Weanling
Thank you SD... that's kind of what I'm thinking. On the other side, I'm always a little afraid that it will get worse and I'll feel awful for NOT calling them right away!
     
    01-21-2011, 04:01 PM
  #5
Trained
Just keep an eye on it. Watch for swelling and heat and any changes and if it seems like it's not getting any better or it's getting worse, call the vet.

I know the feeling though, sometimes it's hard to not want to call them for every little scratch and bump!
     
    01-21-2011, 07:24 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove    
I personally would give it a few days to see if it gets better. He could have just done something out in the pasture -- Doesnt sound like anything too horrible.

If you're really worried about it, it never hurts to call the vet. But I wouldnt be alarmed at this point
Ditto that. ^^
     
    01-22-2011, 05:39 PM
  #7
Foal
Similar situation here last week. Horse went lame on a hind leg and I called the vet, but unfortnatly he had no idea what was causing it. He's better now but I never figured out what was wrong. If he's not lame I would wait a couple of days and see what happens, it might just be something small that'll sort its self out.mabey a couple of days rest will do it. Try not to fret too much!
     
    01-22-2011, 07:00 PM
  #8
Weanling
I'm happy to report that the swelling is way down tonight! I'm so relieved. I spoke with the vet this morning who wants me to keep him on stall rest for now, poultice, cold hose, and easy 10 min walks. He's much, much better tonight so I'm really hoping we won't need to do x-rays. The vet wants to touch base again on Monday, but it looks like its just a simple popped splint. The vet also said we'd only have to worry about a break in the splint if the swelling didn't go down this weekend. Very relieved!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    01-22-2011, 07:30 PM
  #9
Foal
Zee

Yes, I agree, he's not stressed or in pain, so rest is the best thing. Try and at least walk him out couple of times for a bite to eat and stretch his legs, as I absolutley hate it when theyr stuck in box. Turn out pens are good. Good luck,
     
    01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
  #10
Trained
I'm glad it got better. Is he with other horses outside? He may have just gotten kicked.

Abby did that a week or so ago. While I was at home for Christmas, she got cuts on her legs, but by the time I got back they were scabbed over and fine. But her pastern was all swollen. I called the vet who came out and said the wounds were old and the swelling would go down..now I have a vet bill for over $200 because Abby got kicked in the leg by another horse.. And she was a jerk about it and had to be traquilized..which is expensive.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't decide :( Gidji Western Pleasure 11 11-08-2010 11:42 PM
Can't decide! Remi Horse Tack and Equipment 12 09-17-2010 10:33 AM
OMG!!! Also, help me decide what I need... Wallaby Barn Maintenance 4 09-09-2010 01:46 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0